50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and fixing an oops too.

/ 50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and fixing an oops too. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
There are some nice threads on the forum relating to GC series sub compacts and the initial 50 hour service needs.

Well this is an update report on my efforts regarding the 50 hour service activity for my GC1715. Obviously the 50 hour service is significant and "different" than the normal service intervals and needs . . because of the breakin processes of any new unit or part of that unit.

And if you are going to do it yourself or have a friend help you . . maybe this may be the start of what others can add to . . because everything was a little different than standard lol.

1. Because of weather temps in Western WI and a desire to get the engine oil changed prior to winter . . I did the engine oil drain and fill and new oil filter myself in mid November when the unit had 40 hours on it. The goal for me was to switch from standard oil to a full synthetic before ugly temps. Visited us. The reasons are simple . . Synthetic doesn't harm the engine . . But using a 5w40 Mobil 1 Delvac (ESP) Heavy Duty Diesel oil should improve engine lubrication in very cold weather (startups etc) . . and should be as good or better in hot weather and heavy load conditions. I considered 5 or 6 brands and decided I wanted a product that was locally available . . name brand consistent . . met any and all requirements . . and was inexpensive (sale prices and rebates combined). I plan to change my engine oil a bit oftener than the recommended every 100 hours of use.

2. I planned to have the rest of the 50 hour service done this spring. I researched what fluid to use in my mid mount mower gear box and again of 5 or 6 choices I got the Valvoline Full Synthetic 75-90 gear oil (EP rated). Again I chose it for local availability . . name brand quality . . and price point. Unlike tha owner's manual directions . . I took the mmm and turned it vertical so I might be able to drain all if the fluid out AND keep the fluid from getting on the drive belt. I was surprised at the amount of metal grit in the fluid (lots of grit but no pieces or shavings). I now plan on changing the gear oil a bit earlier the next time . . to make sure grit has primarily disappeared.

Continued to a new post . .

Last edited:
   / 50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and fixing an oops too.
Re: 50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and dixing an oops too

Well the prior post is about what I did personally and plan to do oftener than manual suggestions.

This next portion was all done with 79 hours on the tractor . . and after winter's heavy use. While the prior post items were done with 40 hours on the tractor.

Then there is the less frequent items to do but still part of the 50 hr. Service needs. My idea was to have these items done by a friend who is a millright. My thinking was . . I choose all the materials and he would do the transmission fluid, front axle, and fuel filter. Something I could have probably done myself . . and/or learn to do. I made copies of pages from the manual for him . . Just in case.

3. While I had considered a synthetic hydro fluid . . I ended up with Permatran 821xl as my choice. That way there is no confusion about warranty issues and the dealer has a record of my purchases . . and they had a good sale on so it was not that much more than store brand hydro fluids. Again name brand is an issue . . And a 5 gallon pail works for hydro plus front axle plus a gallon left for future top offs etc.. I had him keep a sample of the hydro fluid he drained and this was a mid tan color but not brown or anything showing in it. A longer necked narrower funnel helps for filling from a 5 gallon bucket and they are cheap to have :) Also . . after filling . . Run the unit some as your fluid level will drop as air or gaps work their way out.

4. Next the front axle was sampled at draining and was obviously much different coloration than the rear transmission. It was a darker green color but had no shiny grit in it. Was it dirty or a different fluid . . I don't know . . but I'll be able to monitor it now. I'd considered a synthetic gear oil for it . . but opted for the PermaTran for convenience and easy monitoring. I also learned something that the manual doesn't tell you . . if you have both inspection holes open and are topping off the level in one - be aware that it will come out the other inspection hole if there is even the slightest angle lol.

5. My guess is I could have avoided changing out the fuel filter as it was pretty clean . . but the filter cost is so liw that it just made sense :)

continued to next post fir the "oops" and how to correct it.

/ 50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and fixing an oops too.
Re: 50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and dixing an oops too

Well . . tge best laid plans can still have an error lol.

I detailed my work in post 1 and my friend's work in post 2 with my materials and distant involvement.

I had mentioned about that "screen" getting cleaned in the hydro area. He looked for it and even though he had the copies of pages of the manual . . he missed finding it. And Massey does not indicate in their 50 hour service items anything about it. I later discovered on page 4-10 of the manual the diagram and brief instructions - that he missed

So is it important ? Well lets assume some others missed it too. My viewpoint is . . I don't want to wait 200 hours to do it . . but its also nit some emergency issue either

I plan on getting spacers this fall and of course thats when you take the rear wheels off . . And the sump filter screen needs to gave the wheel off to service it. So I'm thinking if draining the fluid at that point and aervicing that filter screen and then just pouring the hydro fluid back in (clean pan of course) . . maybe even use my Mr. Funnel so no accidental dirt gets in.

Woukd I have liked it all done properly at the same time . . sure. And I had told him about it and he looked but missed it in the instructions. Not a big deal . . but also IMO not something to just ignore for 200 hours either.

So how about other users. Input . . Ideas . . Suggestions if products or procedures ??

I know one thing for sure . . the manual says you can take the gear box on the mmm off if you choose and I took the appropriate bolts off as shown in nanual . . But I still couldn't get it off. Anybody have ideas why ??

It would be much easier to take just the gearbox off rather than tipping the whole deck vertically. Lol.

Last edited:
   / 50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and fixing an oops too. #4  
Axle, as far as the strainer, I wouldn't worry much about it. Both times I've had mine off there was some small amount of metal flakes in it, but certainly not enough to clog it. It seemed to be doing its job just fine. I'm sure it could wait on your friend's rig until the next time he drains the transmission oil.

Haven't tried to remove my MMM gearbox, only checked the oil level once (it was fine). My tractor now has 607 hrs, probably about half of that on the MMM.

/ 50 Hour Service activity on GC1700 series . What and Why and fixing an oops too. #5  
Axle why dont you ever take some pictures? I love pixtures man lol..