Mowing 500 hours on the 5240

/ 500 hours on the 5240 #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
It has finally been cold enough the ground firmed up and I could get the tractor out, moved some firewood and then took my daughter for a ride (she loves riding on the tractor). While we were out the tractor hit the 500 hour mark so I figured I'd do a quick review in case anyone is shopping for a similar tractor or just curious. The tractor will be five years old this march so I'm averaging just over 100 hours a year, it was higher but having kids the last two years has slowed down tractor use. The 5240 has been trouble free so far requiring only fluid and filter changes. I've used the tractor for all kinds of tasks from joy rides with my daughter, plowing snow, two bottom plow, cutting/taking/and baking hay, etc. Fuel usage averages about 1 - 1.5 gph but probably has been as high as 3 gph under very high load conditions. My property has some very steep areas so I just added about 600 lbs of liquid tire ballast as an added safety. Can't report yet on the difference the ballast has made since I've only had about an hour of time since.

Things I wish were different:
Exhaust stack, it is on my to do list but I'm sure it will be a while till I get to it. I just don't like the low exit exhaust due to it covering the loader in soot, blowing up dust, and more exhaust smell to the operator than if it was a stack.

E-pto, the tractor has plenty of power for many tasks to be done at 1800 rpm (finish mower, hay take, light brush hogging). This isn't a huge deal as in these cases I just run at 2000-2200 rpm even though I'm not at 540 on the pto and it works well.
Other than those two minor things I love this tractor and would buy it again.

I guess I don't have anything specific to report so if anyone has questions fire away.

IMG_1999.JPG

/ 500 hours on the 5240 #2  
It has finally been cold enough the ground firmed up and I could get the tractor out, moved some firewood and then took my daughter for a ride (she loves riding on the tractor). While we were out the tractor hit the 500 hour mark so I figured I'd do a quick review in case anyone is shopping for a similar tractor or just curious. The tractor will be five years old this march so I'm averaging just over 100 hours a year, it was higher but having kids the last two years has slowed down tractor use. The 5240 has been trouble free so far requiring only fluid and filter changes. I've used the tractor for all kinds of tasks from joy rides with my daughter, plowing snow, two bottom plow, cutting/taking/and baking hay, etc. Fuel usage averages about 1 - 1.5 gph but probably has been as high as 3 gph under very high load conditions. My property has some very steep areas so I just added about 600 lbs of liquid tire ballast as an added safety. Can't report yet on the difference the ballast has made since I've only had about an hour of time since.

Things I wish were different:
Exhaust stack, it is on my to do list but I'm sure it will be a while till I get to it. I just don't like the low exit exhaust due to it covering the loader in soot, blowing up dust, and more exhaust smell to the operator than if it was a stack.

E-pto, the tractor has plenty of power for many tasks to be done at 1800 rpm (finish mower, hay take, light brush hogging). This isn't a huge deal as in these cases I just run at 2000-2200 rpm even though I'm not at 540 on the pto and it works well.
Other than those two minor things I love this tractor and would buy it again.

I guess I don't have anything specific to report so if anyone has questions fire away.

View attachment 496848

Thanks for the report. I noticed that rides for your daughter was the first tractor task you listed, I bet she's a lucky girl. Regarding the E-PTO, I guess I don't understand what it is you don't like. Is that your PTO rpm is dependent on engine speed?

/ 500 hours on the 5240 #3  
I have about the same hours on our L5740 which is the same engine etc. as the L5240 and my experience has been the same down to less hours than I use to put close to 700 hours one year on my L5030 in addition to several hundred on our M8540. I have no complaints beyond the useless clutch, overall great tractor.

/ 500 hours on the 5240 #4  
I too love my L5740. I also wish it had a vertical exhaust. Just hate everything about the low horizontal exhaust. The E-pto is a great idea. I use it on a generator sometimes and would love to be able to run engine at a lower rpm.

/ 500 hours on the 5240
Thanks for the report. I noticed that rides for your daughter was the first tractor task you listed, I bet she's a lucky girl. Regarding the E-PTO, I guess I don't understand what it is you don't like. Is that your PTO rpm is dependent on engine speed?

I'm happy she enjoys being on the tractor, not sure who enjoys it more, her or me.

E-pto is a separate setting that allows the pto to turn 540 rpm but at a lower engine speed for when full hp isn't required. My pto rpm is 25-2600 but some of my tasks do not require more than 1800 or so rpm. Not a big deal but it would be convenient sometimes.

/ 500 hours on the 5240
I have about the same hours on our L5740 which is the same engine etc. as the L5240 and my experience has been the same down to less hours than I use to put close to 700 hours one year on my L5030 in addition to several hundred on our M8540. I have no complaints beyond the useless clutch, overall great tractor.

The only thing I use the clutch for is to gently start a few pto attachments and occasionally to quickly stop a pto attachment. My reflex to stop a attachment is quicker going to the clutch instead of hitting the pto button. I could easily live without it though.

/ 500 hours on the 5240
I too love my L5740. I also wish it had a vertical exhaust. Just hate everything about the low horizontal exhaust. The E-pto is a great idea. I use it on a generator sometimes and would love to be able to run engine at a lower rpm.

I don't have a pto generator yet but it's on my "to buy" list. The generator is one thing I would really like the e-pto for.

/ 500 hours on the 5240 #8  
The only thing I use the clutch for is to gently start a few pto attachments and occasionally to quickly stop a pto attachment. My reflex to stop a attachment is quicker going to the clutch instead of hitting the pto button. I could easily live without it though.

I had our M8540 for a couple of years before the 5740 on which pushing the clutch has no effect on the PTO, so I never got into the habit of using the clutch to shut the PTO down or slow spool it. We owned John Deere prior to Kubota, so I was use to the electric PTO button, though I prefer the lever on the old L5030.

I only use my clutch to start and would love the added floor space from getting rid of it like on the L60 Series. BUT I don't like brakes on the left, so I guess you can't always get what you want.

/ 500 hours on the 5240 #9  
One of my favorite "body styles" for the L series. Glad you have had good luck with it.

/ 500 hours on the 5240 #10  
Mr Monroe -- Good report. That is a really nice machine. You said "My property has some very steep areas so I just added about 600 lbs of liquid tire ballast as an added safety. Can't report yet on the difference the ballast has made since I've only had about an hour of time since."

Are you already running the rear wheels out as far as they will go? Liquid does lower the center of gravity some but in my experience does not make the difference that wider rear wheel separation makes. Do you do any bush hogging on that steep ground or what do you do on the steep stuff ? I have a smaller Kubota B2150 that I use for backup bush hog and trimming in places where my larger tractor is not a good fit. I use it down south of you in north central WV where there is very little flat land. I just added 6" wheel spacers on the B2150 (making the wheels a foot further apart) last summer and the improvement on steep ground was huge. My pasture renters have a 6040 cab tractor and they added 6" spacers too.