5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak #1  

Redonthehead

Tractor
Deere 5420 MFWD
Howdy all. Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I would check with the experts before I mess something up.

I have a 2003 5420 MFWD which has a gear oil leak in the right front hub. It appears to be coming from the split between what I would call the inner and outer hub where the wheel studs go through. And probably needs a new o-ring (#5 in the inner hub diagram below).

With the wheel off, I pulled the two little bolts (#1 in outer hub diagram) holding the outer hub on, yet the outer hub did not come off easily - it moved away some but resistance went way up. I quit, concerned that I was about to release hundreds of needle rollers (#4 in outer hub diagram) out into the free world.

What do I need to do to replace the large o-ring?

Background - last year I had a flat on this tire, upon removing the wheel I found the two #1 bolts to be sheared off. Perhaps due to lug nuts not be tight enough. This movement may have ruined the o-ring. The #1 bolts were replaced with new ones at that time.

Thanks
Red

innerhub.gifouterhub.gif

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak #2  
The snap ring #7 will keep the gears on the shafts and the rollers #4 can not escape.
After removal of bolts #1 the hub should pull off.
You should have already drained the hub of oil.
Are there any threaded holes in the back side of the hub (part with the wheel studs) for pusher bolts from the back side?

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak #3  
The hub and planet gears should come off together without dumping bearing needles. If there is something awry in there you need to find out now rather than ignoring it till the thing grenades and takes out several thousand dollars worth of parts.

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak
Thanks guys. I'll check for pusher bolt holes. Although I haven't yanked on it hard yet.

Its a two hour drive to visit her - I'll try again this weekend. I'm fairly sure I have not run it dry, so all should be OK.

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak #5  
I'm interested to find out if you get the oil leak fixed or not. Our 5420 had a slow leak. I think something may have gotten in between the seal and it's sealing surface. It seemed to stop after about 10-20 hours of use. I refilled it. I would plan on putting a new seal #1 in it if I was tearing into it. Good luck. Post pictures if you can. Thanks.

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak #6  
Thanks guys. I'll check for pusher bolt holes. Although I haven't yanked on it hard yet.

Its a two hour drive to visit her - I'll try again this weekend. I'm fairly sure I have not run it dry, so all should be OK.

Be sure to drain the oil and lave the drain plug out while you pull it off. A suction develops when pulling hub off if you don't.

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak #7  
see if this helps -

54200001.jpg

54200002.jpg

54200003.jpg

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak
Got it done in the shade this weekend. Really pretty easy except for wrastling the tire/wheel back on. The old o-ring did not have any obvious faults, but there was some buildup in the groove. Recall above I noted I had found the #1 screws broken last year, it was obvious the tractor had been run with the lugs nuts not properly torqued as the stud threads were banged up. After a month or two I'll update if this fixed the leak, or if I have to replace the inner seal. Thanks to all - it really does create a suction with the drain plug in. Below is a photo.

hub.jpg

/ 5420 MFWD Hub Gear Oil Leak #10  
Old thread, but did your fix work? Or did you need to do the inner seal? Thanks for posting.