55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Neighbor says he's got a 55 gallon drum of diesel that is "full of fuel" BUT is (I forget) maybe up to 10 years old.... maybe he said 5-8. None the less, it's not what you might call fresh from the pump.

I've never seen the drum
He's a good guy (so not trying to pull any fast one)
He does NOT have any use for diesel. Apparently it was left behind when they had a bulldozer out on their 40'ish acres doing work and it was left over from the job.

I could probably use that up between now and the fall just cutting the farm and/or doing backhoe work.

You know know as much as I know (forgot to mention the implication is it would be free to me if I could use it)

Side note, I could use the drum too, presuming it's metal and could work as a burn barrel.

So.... do you trust old diesel like this? Do you dump some conditioner in it and then look at it? I've never been faced with old diesel. I can use it to start my fires but it will last me 5 years or more so don't like that idea.

No idea how to approach this. Moving it might also be an issue unless the lid can lock down on it.

Thoughts?

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #2  
Look into Pri-D. It will make it like new again.

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #3  
No trouble at all as I would see it. Especially if there is little air space in the container.

But that begs the question in my mind. You hear fuel cans popping and expanding/contracting with temperature changes. Some massively bloated. How does a 55 Gallon drum handle these changes?

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #4  
I would put it through a really good fuel filter slowly. Mix half and half with fresh diesel and use it. The above mentioned fuel conditioner won't hurt either. After you bring the barrel to your place leave it sit undisturbed for several days before removing the diesel. Just to let any rust, water etc. settle to the bottom. I would not use the bottom 4-6 inches.

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #5  
Depends if you have an emission diesel. If NOT, strain it, Filter it, use it.

Post 2015 engines.... Common rail injectors, DPF, etc. are more expensive than a barrel of fuel.

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #6  
Why would it have anything in it? Where would anything come from? Suck it out with a pump that has a filter on it AS YOU USE IT. Avoid the last bit. Maybe check that for sediment. Any good equipment has good filtration in the fuel system. Why make extra, unecessary work for people, with that messy stuff?

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #7  
Don't disturb the barrel. Get yourself some water finding paste.

Spread it on a wooden stick. Push it down to the bottom of the barrel. Wait about 10 seconds. Pull it out. The paste is yellow by nature. Any water in the bottom of the barrel will turn the paste red.

$7.00 on Amazon. $10 other places.

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #8  
I had a fuel dealer graciously give me a little in a pill bottle.

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #9  
I used it daily when I worked at the airport 40 years ago. We had to stick the underground fuel storage tanks daily and keep logs.

/ 55 gallon barrel... "full" of old diesel #10  
Neighbor says he's got a 55 gallon drum of diesel that is "full of fuel" BUT is (I forget) maybe up to 10 years old.... maybe he said 5-8. None the less, it's not what you might call fresh from the pump.

I've never seen the drum
He's a good guy (so not trying to pull any fast one)
He does NOT have any use for diesel. Apparently it was left behind when they had a bulldozer out on their 40'ish acres doing work and it was left over from the job.

I could probably use that up between now and the fall just cutting the farm and/or doing backhoe work.

You know know as much as I know (forgot to mention the implication is it would be free to me if I could use it)

Side note, I could use the drum too, presuming it's metal and could work as a burn barrel.

So.... do you trust old diesel like this? Do you dump some conditioner in it and then look at it? I've never been faced with old diesel. I can use it to start my fires but it will last me 5 years or more so don't like that idea.

No idea how to approach this. Moving it might also be an issue unless the lid can lock down on it.

Thoughts?
In many parts of the world diesel sits for long periods, and is then used.
If you have a newfangled diesel with all sorts of electronic gadgets...maybe not.
If you have basic simple diesel (as diesels were originally intended)....use it!
Maybe dilute it 50-50 with some fresh stuff, if you are really concerned.