55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
Got a 55 gal blue plastic barrel for fuel transport and storage. First step is to clean the inside. The remnents of a label says it was originally filled with a floor cleaner. My nose confirms it smells like soap. I put 5-10 gal water in it. Slosh rinse and repeat. Many times, maybe 12 times. There is still a wee bit of suds but nothing like the first 8 times ... so now what do I do?

Last edited:
   / 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #2  
Been there done that, rinse until no more suds, turn upside down, let air dry

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel
Buddy said tie a T shirt on a stick and swirl it around in the barrel. Then fill with fuel... Can't wait to have a little reserve

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #4  
I have also been considering using a blue plastic 55 gallon barrel for diesel fuel, how do you plan to get the fuel out of the barrel and into your equipment ? I would most likely have a local fuel business come out and fill the barrel.

Last edited:
   / 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #5  
I have also been considering using a blue plastic 55 gallon barrel for diesel fuel, how do you plan to get the fuel out of the barrel and into your equipment ? I would most likely have a local fuel business come out and fill the barrel.
Rotary hand pump works incredibly well. Cheap, works without electricity, and moves a lot of fuel, oil, etc. pretty quickly. Just need a hose on the end.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #6  
I doubt a very small amount of suds will hurt anything. I prefer the clear barrels, but agree the rotary pump is the way to go. Electric pumps are expensive, and limiting. I can empty my 30 gallon barrel in a couple minutes tops. Would also not suggest a lever pump as the leverage can strip out plastic threads.

I already have a heavy duty 12v pump with 1 inch hose and long 12v clip on power leads. I fitted the tractor with exterior 12v terminals for the pump. I agree the rotary pump is the logical choice but I'll use this pump which I originally bought to avoid lifting 5gal cans for now. I bought a barrel lift & tilt strap as a means to load and unload the barrel into the truck using the forklift. Drum Tilt Ring H-5733 - Uline
One reason I'm interested in a tilt is that with the barrel laid on its side the fuel could be drained into the tractor when raised up with the forklift. There are lots of carts etc available to lay a full barrel on its side. Any one of these could be oufitted for the forks
Not sure I'll do that, but for now I have a way to unload it, move it around, and pump fuel into the tractor... the 5gal can routine was getting old.

Last edited:
   / 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #8  
Following this. Been wanting to do this for a while. I was thinking about using a 30 gallon barrel I had, but maybe I will go with a 55 gal. I was planning on making a pallet that the barrel attaches to to lift on and off the trailer for runs to the gas station. I agree about the price on the electric pumps, maybe I will look into a hand crank pump.

Following this. Been wanting to do this for a while. I was thinking about using a 30 gallon barrel I had, but maybe I will go with a 55 gal. I was planning on making a pallet that the barrel attaches to to lift on and off the trailer for runs to the gas station. I agree about the price on the electric pumps, maybe I will look into a hand crank pump.
My original plan was to make a pallet with stabilization supports and fork it on/off of the pickup. But for $110 (link above) I don't have to build anything. Once it is in the truck I can strap it in the front corner. Or I may put it in the van where I have crossbar supports
I also picked up a barrel dolly so I can move it around on the concrete if it ends up being stored inside. 55 gallons should last me 6 mos or more. Don't know if I need to do somethign to prevent mold.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #10  
I used to have a hand crank pump on a 30 gal plastic barrel. It worked ok for a few years. I put it in the FEL bucket and drove the tractor 2 miles down to a gas station to fill. Eventually the cranking action of the pump caused the plastic threads in the barrel to fail. I was going to replace it with a 55 gal but by then, the increase in road traffic, made it unsafe to take the tractor down to the gas station.

I looked into getting local fuel delivery but all the local suppliers have a 150 gal minimum. Rather than spend the money, time and effort on a method of loading & unloading a barrel from my truck, instead, I spent the $$ on this 110V fuel transfer pump which I installed on my 1000 gal furnace fuel oil tank.

That was 10 years ago and I now have two, 60 HP tractors which use a lot of fuel. Considering all the time & labor saved in handling fuel barrels, the $200 (at the time) pump investment was well worth the price.