5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down?

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down? #1  
A warm body that works for me part-time got on my 5600 and moved it. Later he told me he couldn't get the lift to go down. It has a post driver mounted on it. My tractor has a FEL and post driver mounted. I have one side of the remote plumbed in a loop so I can use both devices. With the hydraulic control lever under the seat pulled back, flow goes out to the driver when it's not operating it passes straight though, then goes to the FEL joystick and passes straight through and back to a port in the driver that returns it to a case drain to the tractor. This works fine. I found the hydraulic oil full of a LOT of water. I'm guessing the gear shift seal caused this.

I've drained and flushed it pretty much. I need to do it again soon, but I have plenty of pressure. The problem is the lift will not lower. The lever will move and it appears the lever is moving the rod that goes inside the body. Here's where it get strange. I noticed when I move the lever for flow under the seat to the neutral position, this normally puts the hydraulics back to the tractor and not the driver and FEL, the engine loads and it sounds like I've overloaded the hydraulics like a relief valve has opened. I've tried letting it sit for two weeks and seeing if it leaks down, it came down a little but not much. I've tried bouncing it by stopping the driver at 1/2 stroke, I even took my G/F's 383 MF with a FEL and pulling it down, no go. The other lever beside the lift lever, I think it's for draft control, makes no difference.

How does the lift hydraulics work? Is it possible the warm body pulled up and the lever was seized and he sheared something coming up or down? What has me stumped is moving the lever under the seat to put the hydraulics back to the tractor causes the hydraulics to load up. It sounds just like I'm trying to lift too much with the lift and relief valve is opening.

I hate to pull the whole top off that the lever is mounted on as have no idea what can of worms I'm opening when I do that.

A hydraulic flow diagram or anything that tells me how the flow goes would be helpful. I do not have a HP gauge, but I can probably get one next week sometime. Then I'd need to know what ports if any to test at to see what I have where.

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down? #2  
A warm body that works for me part-time got on my 5600 and moved it. Later he told me he couldn't get the lift to go down. It has a post driver mounted on it. My tractor has a FEL and post driver mounted. I have one side of the remote plumbed in a loop so I can use both devices. With the hydraulic control lever under the seat pulled back, flow goes out to the driver when it's not operating it passes straight though, then goes to the FEL joystick and passes straight through and back to a port in the driver that returns it to a case drain to the tractor. This works fine. I found the hydraulic oil full of a LOT of water. I'm guessing the gear shift seal caused this.

I've drained and flushed it pretty much. I need to do it again soon, but I have plenty of pressure. The problem is the lift will not lower. The lever will move and it appears the lever is moving the rod that goes inside the body. Here's where it get strange. I noticed when I move the lever for flow under the seat to the neutral position, this normally puts the hydraulics back to the tractor and not the driver and FEL, the engine loads and it sounds like I've overloaded the hydraulics like a relief valve has opened. I've tried letting it sit for two weeks and seeing if it leaks down, it came down a little but not much. I've tried bouncing it by stopping the driver at 1/2 stroke, I even took my G/F's 383 MF with a FEL and pulling it down, no go. The other lever beside the lift lever, I think it's for draft control, makes no difference.

How does the lift hydraulics work? Is it possible the warm body pulled up and the lever was seized and he sheared something coming up or down? What has me stumped is moving the lever under the seat to put the hydraulics back to the tractor causes the hydraulics to load up. It sounds just like I'm trying to lift too much with the lift and relief valve is opening.

I hate to pull the whole top off that the lever is mounted on as have no idea what can of worms I'm opening when I do that.

A hydraulic flow diagram or anything that tells me how the flow goes would be helpful. I do not have a HP gauge, but I can probably get one next week sometime. Then I'd need to know what ports if any to test at to see what I have where.

I don't know that this will help, but I'll relate an issue I had some 30 years ago with a TLB. The loader bucket would curl up, but not down. And once I got it to curl all the way up, it was stuck. It would hit the relief when I tried to get it to curl down. Anyway, I worked on that thing for 2 days trying to figure out what was going on. When I got almost to the end of my rope, I decided to check the flow at the cylinders by simply loosening the fittings and running it. Made a real mess but found one hose that had oil flow on one end but not the other. When I took it off (with much fussing and cussing) I found the hose guts had stripped and hydraulic pressure forced it into one of the fittings. Once I got it apart and replaced the hose, problem solved.

Anyway, you might want to check that the flow actually gets to where it needs to.

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down? #3  
Does it have a lever or knob to adjust the rate of decent for your 3 point hitch? If so it may have gotten closed, hitch would go up but not come down.

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down? #4  
Something like this, check it isn't closed Ford.jpg

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down? #5  
Now man, you have yourself a serious problem. How about sharing it. Grin.

Oops, back to the main event.

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down? #6  
Now man, you have yourself a serious problem. How about sharing it. Grin.

Oops, back to the main event.

The title defines one problem I would just love to have at age 79!

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down?
OK, I'm back to working on this again. I've drained, flushed and changed the hydraulic system now. It has clean fluid and I've located where the water got in the system, gear shift lever.

I have hydraulic pressure/flow for operating the FEL and post driver. When I move the hydraulics back to operate the 3pt hitch, with the lift lever in the down position, moving the lever under the seat to the "neutral" position, the 3pt hitch goes up and the pump relief valve can be heard and it loads the hydraulics.

The 3pt hitch has been in the down position for well over a week now and has not leaked down.

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down?
The title defines one problem I would just love to have at age 79!
Yeah, I was wondering if some cold weather might get it down...

/ 5600 Ford... I got it up, but I can't get it to go down? #10  
I found a Quick Disconnect end was blocking flow on my hydraulics.

Might be an area to check if you have any in your particular setup.