6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #1  

Gary Farmall

Tractor
1951 Farmall M
I am a happy camper, converted my 1951 farmall m from 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator positive ground. one wire output, internal V/R.. Bought the alternator off Ebay. Link is Tractor 6 volt 60 amp 1 wire alternator Positive Ground Model A T GM w/ pulley | eBay

Also bought the amp meter off Ebay. link is 354473RH Amp Gauge Meter Ammeter with IH Logo for Farmall H M | eBay

I replaced the old wires with new, and it works great. I wanted to keep the tractor as original as possible I am extremely happy. If you update your wiring with 1 gauge to the starter and 10 gauge to the Alternator etc. it starts just fine and as with 12 volt system you don't have to worry about burning up your start motor. LOL IF ANYONE wants a schematic that I re-designed of one I acquired off the internet, and my pictures. Just let me know, as I went to a lot of effort making this happen. Also Steinertractor.com had the mounting bracket for the Alternator and I went to O'Reilly's to get a belt 1/2" longer and it worked perfect, as everyone says its alittle close to the shroud but that's next on my list for an adjustment. Gary

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #2  
you can also have a generator converted to an alternator. many antique magazines have adds for people that rebuild them.. the new unit uses your or a core shell and new 'innards'.. thus it looks and fits exactlyu as oem using oe brackets and belts..

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M
That's a great option, does that include the internal V/R ? if not that is the main reason I opted for the Alternator plus the 60 amp output is nice. I think I'll install an AHOOGA Horn on it also. LOL Gary

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #4  
i don't hav e one of the adds handy so can't say if it is internal vreg or not.. will guess yes. even if it isn't.. no biggie.. it will be even MORE authentic.. :)

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #5  
would be very interested in the schematics and photos. I appreciate the offer. I am more interested in the wiring diagram, as I have a 6 volt Delco-Remy all ready to install. Thank you, Gary Farmall

It has been 3 years since I seen this Thread. Delco-Remy Alternator ?? or Generator??

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #7  
Wow, zombie thread!

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #8  
Alternator

Schematic22.jpg I hope you can see where to cut & splice. Steiner Tractor Supply has the Alternator brackets, I tried to upload photos but was unsuccessful. Hope this helps. Gary

/ 6 Volt Generator "TO" 6 Volt Alternator Conversion, Farmall M #10  
thanks much. Magnified image is perfect.