60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster?

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster? #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
If i have 3 acres to mow with a 60" MMM deck how much faster would a 72" be is there a easy way to figure or guess that? It takes me a hour and half to mow with the 60" but i do not mow the entire thing.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been when moving up to a larger deck. I did not buy the 72" because i was worried that it may be to much for the B2650.

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster? #2  
It'll turn the larger deck but with much resistance at all, eg: tall grass and weeds, it'll bog down till there's not enough blade tip speed to cut anything.
Basically, you'll be bush hogging with a finish mower and your tractor will be stalling.
But, Hey, "Its your train, Jesse. Rob it any way you want!"
You'll be spending a lot of time double cutting the taller, thicker, stuff.

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster? #3  
My JD2210 uses a 62" deck with ease. Would handle a 72" deck with a slightly slower pace in heavy mowing.

Otherwise, a 72" deck is 20% bigger. If same ground speed is used, you gained 20% more ground covered. If we convert that to time, you'd save 20%. So you'd do the same mowing as your example in an hour and 18 minutes rather than an hour and 30 minutes. Saving 12 minutes each time you mow. In 7 mowings you would gain 1.

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster?
My JD2210 uses a 62" deck with ease. Would handle a 72" deck with a slightly slower pace in heavy mowing.

Otherwise, a 72" deck is 20% bigger. If same ground speed is used, you gained 20% more ground covered. If we convert that to time, you'd save 20%. So you'd do the same mowing as your example in an hour and 18 minutes rather than an hour and 30 minutes. Saving 12 minutes each time you mow. In 7 mowings you would gain 1.

Not a huge difference then unless you count how many times a summer you mow.

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster?
It'll turn the larger deck but with much resistance at all, eg: tall grass and weeds, it'll bog down till there's not enough blade tip speed to cut anything.
Basically, you'll be bush hogging with a finish mower and your tractor will be stalling.
But, Hey, "Its your train, Jesse. Rob it any way you want!"
You'll be spending a lot of time double cutting the taller, thicker, stuff.

That is why i went with the smaller deck when i bought the tractor. Even if i bought a rear finish mower i don't think there is enough HP to go bigger.

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster? #6  
Except that you'll have to slow down, so it may take you longer over all. And maybe not cut as well, so you may have to go back over some sections.

Seriously, people need to relax. Is ten minutes a few times a summer going to make that much difference?

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster? #7  
The 28hp diesel in my Grasshopper does a fine job with the 72”. Even if you did have to slow down you’re better utilizing the HP. The end result will still be faster.

/ 60 inch vs 72 MMM how much faster? #8  
Except that you'll have to slow down, so it may take you longer over all. And maybe not cut as well, so you may have to go back over some sections.

Seriously, people need to relax. Is ten minutes a few times a summer going to make that much difference?

What size is your deck?