6415 vs a 4" diameter log and lost

/ 6415 vs a 4" diameter log and lost #1  

Zebrafive

Tractor
John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415
Freak accident. While in reverse an approximate 4" diameter x 4' log got kicked up and hit the trans/hydraulic oil cooler. It felt like I hit something, but I did not see anything behind me. I shut it off and looked behind, nothing. Got back on and would not start. Got off and looked underneath. The log was wedged between the ground and the top of the trans/hydraulic cooler. It was even pushed into the ground a little. I went and got the chain saw and cut it off. I could not pull the remains out. I took the floor plate off and spent an hour with a hand saw, hammer and big screw driver slowly removing it bit by bit.

I saw the neutral start switch had sheared off. Hot wired it and got the tractor started. The cooler was leaking, steady drips, not a spray or stream. Drove slowly to the barn and parked it.

I am hoping the cooler (appears to be aluminum) can be tig welded. If not JDparts shows two; one for PoweReverser and one for Power Quad, different part numbers. I have both PoweReverser AND Power Quad, so not sure which one it takes. Part numbers AL159149 and AL159249

Any tips to removing it? The shaft between the engine and trans has to come out. I heard bolts are one time use. How much oil will I lose? I plan to try and swing the hoses up after removing them from the cooler. I think I can clamp off the water hoses.

Sorry no pictures. I did not have my camera with me and was not sure if I could even get it running and back in the barn before dark. Drawing shows cooler and hoses,

Attachments

• oilcoolertranshydraulic.gif
    oilcoolertranshydraulic.gif
    26 KB · Views: 310
   / 6415 vs a 4" diameter log and lost #2  
From looking at the price of the oil cooler you might have to investigate your comp. insurance.

/ 6415 vs a 4" diameter log and lost #3  
Freak accident. While in reverse an approximate 4" diameter x 4' log got kicked up and hit the trans/hydraulic oil cooler. It felt like I hit something, but I did not see anything behind me. I shut it off and looked behind, nothing. Got back on and would not start. Got off and looked underneath. The log was wedged between the ground and the top of the trans/hydraulic cooler. It was even pushed into the ground a little. I went and got the chain saw and cut it off. I could not pull the remains out. I took the floor plate off and spent an hour with a hand saw, hammer and big screw driver slowly removing it bit by bit.

I saw the neutral start switch had sheared off. Hot wired it and got the tractor started. The cooler was leaking, steady drips, not a spray or stream. Drove slowly to the barn and parked it.

Get the powr quad one.

I am hoping the cooler (appears to be aluminum) can be tig welded. If not JDparts shows two; one for PoweReverser and one for Power Quad, different part numbers. I have both PoweReverser AND Power Quad, so not sure which one it takes. Part numbers AL159149 and AL159249

Any tips to removing it? The shaft between the engine and trans has to come out. I heard bolts are one time use. How much oil will I lose? I plan to try and swing the hoses up after removing them from the cooler. I think I can clamp off the water hoses.

Sorry no pictures. I did not have my camera with me and was not sure if I could even get it running and back in the barn before dark. Drawing shows cooler and hoses,

Ouch! That sucks, by the sounds of it I think you should get the PowrQuad one.

/ 6415 vs a 4" diameter log and lost
switches cooler 006.JPGswitches cooler 007.JPGswitches cooler 008.JPGUpdate; I got the cooler out. It does have the part number stamped on it. It is the one for the Power Quad. It did not look bad from the fittings side...............but the engine side was real bad. It had been pushed in the engine damper and it won. So no fixing this one.

I was able to find a new cooler on ebay, but it was in the U.K. I contacted the seller to see if he would ship to the United States. I am waiting for a reply.

/ 6415 vs a 4" diameter log and lost #5  
Sorry to hear about your "wood wreck"! I wouldn't have figured that a big stick would do that much damage. Figured that it would just snap in two! Can you find a used cooler and have it refurbished?

Good luck on your repairs! Let us know how it all works out.

AKfish

/ 6415 vs a 4" diameter log and lost
Update:
I ordered the neutral switch, O-rings for the oil line connections and new bolts for the drive shaft (drive shaft bolts are "one time use") from Green Farms parts. Those parts just arrived, they took over three weeks (bolts were back ordered).
I was able to buy the new oil cooler from the United Kingdom ebay seller. Even with shipping ($160), it was about $100 more than buying used. I am still waiting for the cooler to be delivered. Not sure how long that will take, it's been one week today.
About all I can do is install the neutral switch and wait for the cooler. It has to be installed before anything else can go back together.