65 MF135 generator to tachometer

/ 65 MF135 generator to tachometer #1  

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
1965 135 gasser, 1967 135 diesel
I just bought a sweet 135 and the tach isn't working. First the obvious. No cable. Then I kept looking for where it hooked up and discovered on this site where it went. There appears to be a tach plate that mounts to the rear of the generator. My gen doesn't that plate. It's been converted to gen only. I want to restore all my gauges back to factory. Fuel gauge doesn't work either. First things first.

I've found on eBay the tach end piece for the generator and a generator. Anyone know of a source for these. I probably will have to replace the mechanical tach on the dashboard as well. Any help is appreciated. Robert

/ 65 MF135 generator to tachometer #5  
try to lookup listmember farmswithjunk.

if it's been done to a MF tractor.. he's likely written about it.. or done it.. or seen it done.. :)

/ 65 MF135 generator to tachometer #6  
The gearbox kit will work only if your generator is drilled and tapped for drive gear and upper 2 box screws.

/ 65 MF135 generator to tachometer
The gearbox kit will work only if your generator is drilled and tapped for drive gear and upper 2 box screws.

I found this generator on spidermarine.com It looks to be what I need.

Also found an old picture of a MF generator with the proofmeter head still on it.

/ 65 MF135 generator to tachometer #8  
My 1964 MF135 diesel has had an alternator installed (Delco Remy 10si) in place of the original factory generator. The tach cable plugs into an adapter plate that's located on the top right rear end of the engine block.

MF135 tach-1 (Small).JPGMF135 tach-2 (Small).JPG

None of my 135 manuals shows details of what the tach cable attaches to at this location. Flywheel ring gear maybe?

/ 65 MF135 generator to tachometer
My 1964 MF135 diesel has had an alternator installed (Delco Remy 10si) in place of the original factory generator. The tach cable plugs into an adapter plate that's located on the top right rear end of the engine block.

View attachment 262755View attachment 262756

None of my 135 manuals shows details of what the tach cable attaches to at this location. Flywheel ring gear maybe?

I've got a shop manual comming in the mail, till then I've been researching here and other places as to my alternatives. I'd only be guessing as to what that proofmeter is driven from on your engine block. Some tachs are driven off the oil pump gearing, but on a tractor I'd be guessing.

I found and purchased this on eBay. This should do the trick and be an upgrade as well for future electrical attachments. I've converted old street rods over from gen to alt, 6v to 12v, so this should be a big deal. I believe my battery is negative ground which will make it easier. Got to get that gas gauge going, tired of using a cane stick. Robert

/ 65 MF135 generator to tachometer #10  
Most 3-152 and 4-203 used camshaft adapter for tach drive. All Continental used gen or alt gearbox tach drive, Perkins 4-212, 4-236 and 4-248 did too.