6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
Good morning.

Our 1960 Case 430 diesel has two 6v batteries, apparently it is 6v running 12v starting.

It lives out in a shed on a lot with no power.

I would like to keep the batteries up, but am unsure how to go about it.

I use the little 1.5 watt solar maintainers from Horrible Fright on my other vehicles without issue, but they are all 12v NegGrd, single batteries.

I do have to fix the wiring - there is an obvious broken wire going to the rear light & outlet, and the front lights do not work.

But it does start and run fine.

any thoughts?

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #2  
Case 430 according to parts schematic the two 6 volt batteries attached in series to create 12 volts that is negative ground. Notice + & - marks on the top of battery post in photo below. So attach solar panel + to battery with long battery cable & - to braided cable

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-31 055640.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-31 055640.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 81
   / 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #3  
Looks like Tx Jim has the answer. You can verify this with a voltmeter, - on one battery and + on the other. If you get 12V, you're good to go to hook up a solar charger.
Purists will argue that one battery might get more charge than the other since their voltages won't match exactly, but hey, it's just a tractor.

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question
Case 430 according to parts schematic the two 6 volt batteries attached in series to create 12 volts that is negative ground. Notice + & - marks on the top of battery post in photo below. So attach solar panel + to battery with long battery cable & - to braided cable
Thank you! I have dabbled with 6 v, helping a friend with a ‘46 Plymouth way back. I wasn’t sure if it was going to be this simple—- because things are rarely this simple whn I get involved in them! I am sure balance will be restored to the universe on some other project...

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #5  
I am 99% sure that that tractor is 12 volt everywhere except the 2 - 6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volt (like the pic above). Which makes fixing lights much easier.
If the generator has been running 12 volt and charging the two 6 volt batteries for the last 60 yrs I can't see how a 12 volt charger wouldn't also charge them.

g

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question
I am 99% sure that that tractor is 12 volt everywhere except the 2 - 6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volt (like the pic above). Which makes fixing lights much easier.
If the generator has been running 12 volt and charging the two 6 volt batteries for the last 60 yrs I can't see how a 12 volt charger wouldn't also charge them.

g
I know, I know. . . But I have had a lot of things that allegedly “made sense” that some idiotsyncrasy* caused not to work...

* yep. I said it.

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #7  
Looks like Tx Jim has the answer. You can verify this with a voltmeter, - on one battery and + on the other. If you get 12V, you're good to go to hook up a solar charger.
Purists will argue that one battery might get more charge than the other since their voltages won't match exactly, but hey, it's just a tractor.
You bring up a good point. If one battery has more than .2 volt less than other,the pair will continue to work while acting the same as a 12 v battery with a weak cell and will soon get worse. Although it's recommended to replace in pairs,it is not mandatory. Batteries have improved to the point a single 12v can be installed in place 6v pairs in most applications.

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #8  
This comment is only true in a Parallel setup, in series that's impossible as all energy must flow through both batteries to complete charge circuit.

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #9  
This comment is only true in a Parallel setup, in series that's impossible as all energy must flow through both batteries to complete charge circuit.
My experience with JD tractors that utilize two 12 volt batteries in series to attain 24 volts is if one battery has lower voltage than other then batteries will only charge to voltage on the battery with lowest voltage. Electrical load on both batteries must be very close to equal.

/ 6v/12v dual system and maintaining batteries with a solar panel question #10  
Good morning.

Our 1960 Case 430 diesel has two 6v batteries, apparently it is 6v running 12v starting.

It lives out in a shed on a lot with no power.

I would like to keep the batteries up, but am unsure how to go about it.

I use the little 1.5 watt solar maintainers from Horrible Fright on my other vehicles without issue, but they are all 12v NegGrd, single batteries.

I do have to fix the wiring - there is an obvious broken wire going to the rear light & outlet, and the front lights do not work.

But it does start and run fine.

any thoughts?
If it’s really just a 12 volt system as some have said then replace them with a single 12 volt lithium car battery and it should hold charge between uses.