6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem?

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #11  
I have a 4'x8', 6'x12' and a 7'x20'. The 7x20 is only used to haul tractor + implements.

The 4x8 was the primary trailer to haul Harley but too small to load even the lawn mower. It is however perfect for pulling around the place with the golf cart.

I've had a 6x16 that I found either too small or too large for much use. I think you'll find the 14' tandem will fit most of your needs but if not I would not bother with a 16'. The 16' for my use was either too small or too big. In my case the 6'x12' get 90% of the use. Small enough for my SxS and fine enough for the highway other than hauling tractor.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #12  
We have a 6x14 tandem with a spring loaded ramp. 90% of the time it works great very rarely do I trailer the tractor with an implement. Hauls the mini just fine.

Bought it when trailers were next to impossible to find around here. It was still on the semi when I bought it at the local tractor supply.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #13  
I have a 5’x10’ dump that is “about right”, I wish it was 6’x12’. I have a 6’x12’ enclosed utility trailer that I swear is 2’ too short.

Go with the 14’

Attachments

• DA14CCB1-3A4E-478F-983C-206EE97CC3E1.jpeg
    DA14CCB1-3A4E-478F-983C-206EE97CC3E1.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 608C986C-47B6-4345-B450-BD1191B6B127.jpeg
    608C986C-47B6-4345-B450-BD1191B6B127.jpeg
    438.8 KB · Views: 89
   / 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #14  
I have a 5’x10’ dump that is “about right”, I wish it was 6’x12’. I have a 6’x12’ enclosed utility trailer that I swear is 2’ too short.

Go with the 14’
If I had a 3/4 ton truck I woulda bought a dump trailer. Unfortunately I need atleast a 10K minimum and even though I drive a Ford, Im pretty sure my 1/2 ton wouldn't like it.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #15  
OP - You seem to have an ideal setup. A small for the small stuff. Larger for larger stuff. Try putting some weight in the small one, maybe get one of those bags I've seen them sell gravel in, about 5 cubic feet, and start loading it up until it doesn't bounce.
Then fix the issues you have with the large trailer.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #16  
If there are a front and a tailgate/ramps on a 12ft trailer , you probably could not haul a 12 ft board unless diagonally. 14ft trailer you could. I have a 16 ft trailers with side and a tailgate/ramp. Can't haul 16ft lumber straight. Jon

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #17  
I’m looking to consolidate my two crappy trailers into one good trailer. Currently have a small 4x7 that’s basically like a big wheel barrow. Fits a 500 ATV perfectly and weighs hardly nothing. I use it pretty regularly, but it sucks to haul empty because it jumps and bounces around so much and it sucks to back up because you can’t see it over your tailgate or side mirrors. It will jack knife on you in a heartbeat! It’s handy, but a PITA sometimes. Uses small tires not rated for highway speed. But it’s quick to hook up and easy to load so it gets used a lot.

I also have a 16ft tandem that I’ve rebuilt. It’s homemade and not exactly precision quality. It has brakes on one axle. The wiring is shoddy and the lights go in and out as well as the brakes while driving. It has separate ramps but no storage so they get thrown on the deck. I use it when hauling two or more ATVs and I also have a compact tractor I haul a few times a year. When hauling my tractor, I almost always take the loader frame off. It’s easier for me to work in and around trees without the extra length out front. I keep my implements at location where I haul to, so I really only haul just the tractor alone.

I’d like to split the difference between the two. Something small enough that’s not too much hassle to tow primarily with one ATV, but still big enough to haul two atvs (or 3 sideways) at once or just my tractor. I also have a lot of woods around my house, so I don’t have a ton of parking and maneuvering room. Both the 12 and the 14 would have brakes on one axle and both would have 3500lb x2 axle. Price difference isn’t much. Not sure if I’d be gaining much by just going 2ft shorter than the 16ft I already have or if the 12ft would be too small

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #18  
I’m looking to consolidate my two crappy trailers into one good trailer. Currently have a small 4x7 that’s basically like a big wheel barrow. Fits a 500 ATV perfectly and weighs hardly nothing. I use it pretty regularly, but it sucks to haul empty because it jumps and bounces around so much and it sucks to back up because you can’t see it over your tailgate or side mirrors. It will jack knife on you in a heartbeat! It’s handy, but a PITA sometimes. Uses small tires not rated for highway speed. But it’s quick to hook up and easy to load so it gets used a lot.

I also have a 16ft tandem that I’ve rebuilt. It’s homemade and not exactly precision quality. It has brakes on one axle. The wiring is shoddy and the lights go in and out as well as the brakes while driving. It has separate ramps but no storage so they get thrown on the deck. I use it when hauling two or more ATVs and I also have a compact tractor I haul a few times a year. When hauling my tractor, I almost always take the loader frame off. It’s easier for me to work in and around trees without the extra length out front. I keep my implements at location where I haul to, so I really only haul just the tractor alone.

I’d like to split the difference between the two. Something small enough that’s not too much hassle to tow primarily with one ATV, but still big enough to haul two atvs (or 3 sideways) at once or just my tractor. I also have a lot of woods around my house, so I don’t have a ton of parking and maneuvering room. Both the 12 and the 14 would have brakes on one axle and both would have 3500lb x2 axle. Price difference isn’t much. Not sure if I’d be gaining much by just going 2ft shorter than the 16ft I already have or if the 12ft would be too small.
I bought a 6x12 single axle with 4' end ramp to haul our two-up snowmobile on. It works great for that. Also so far brought home a load of mulch and was able to spread it right off the trailer when moving it around with my little Kubota. I got one with 2' high metal sides to keep road crap off the sled, with the mulch idea in mind also. Its easy to move around and am glad I did not get it any bigger. But it might not fit 3 ATVs.

Here's the link for the 5x10 version of what I bought. 2021 MCT 2021 5X10 Steel Side Trailer

Tim

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #19  
A suggestion on trailers, know what you want, go to the source and talk to the actual maker, get what you want, made for you, exactly how you want it made. I gave up on getting what I want, ready made.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #20  
Faced with a choice of 12 foot or 14 foot tandem, I chose the 12 foot. Not a problem hauling any of my tractors with the loader attached. I never have had a need to haul with an implement attached which for you should be the deciding factor. The 12 foot is definitely easier to park and back up. Besides my trailer shed was not big enough to hold the 14 footer.