7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #1  

jgoodma1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060
I just bought a Kubota L4960 and have found a local Gannon box blade that's 7' long. Can a Kubota L4060 (40 hp) handle that size?

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #2  
It's an L4060, right? That's a big box blade, but I'd say you can handle it. If things get too aggressive or it's too full, you can always lift it up a little.

I think a 6' would be the perfect size and would cover your wheel tracks. But a 7' would only extend a little over 8.5" beyond your wheels if you have it centered. Should work. Congrats on a nice tractor.

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #3  
I couldn't find the L4960 on Tractordata.com, but it might be close - I have all older stuff (like me), and have a 7' Gannon (not ROBB, has hydraulic rippers) - my old Allis 160 is likely a bit heavier than yours

and i have almost 600 pounds of front weights on it so (most of the time) when I raise the box (full) it USUALLY raises, INSTEAD of the front wheels coming off the ground - also, mine's 2 wheel drive and I have to use the differential lock about half the time to keep from just spinning in place...

I've not used a ROBB, but seem to recall people saying they're a bit more to pull than equal sized regular box blades. My Gannon weighs just under 1000 lbs empty, probably around 2500 with a full box (depending on material, of course)

All I got, HTH... Steve

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060
It's an L4060, right? That's a big box blade, but I'd say you can handle it. If things get too aggressive or it's too full, you can always lift it up a little.

I think a 6' would be the perfect size and would cover your wheel tracks. But a 7' would only extend a little over 8.5" beyond your wheels if you have it centered. Should work. Congrats on a nice tractor.

Thanks very much

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060
I couldn't find the L4960 on Tractordata.com, but it might be close - I have all older stuff (like me), and have a 7' Gannon (not ROBB, has hydraulic rippers) - my old Allis 160 is likely a bit heavier than yours

and i have almost 600 pounds of front weights on it so (most of the time) when I raise the box (full) it USUALLY raises, INSTEAD of the front wheels coming off the ground - also, mine's 2 wheel drive and I have to use the differential lock about half the time to keep from just spinning in place...

I've not used a ROBB, but seem to recall people saying they're a bit more to pull than equal sized regular box blades. My Gannon weighs just under 1000 lbs empty, probably around 2500 with a full box (depending on material, of course)

All I got, HTH... Steve

Thanks Steve. The tractor is an L4060 not 4960. You will find it on Tractordata.com. If you could take a quick eyeball of that and give me your opinion, I'd greatly appreciate it.

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #6  
Kubota L4060 has a Category 1 Three Point Hitch.

A 7' Gannon Box Blade has a Category 2 or Category 3 Three Point Hitch.

Therefore unlikely you can mount a 7' Gannon behind your L4060.

You need to provide more information on the Gannon before anyone can provide a useful opinion. Gannon might weigh 700 pounds or 1,400 pounds empty.

Last edited:
   / 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #7  
I just bought a Kubota L4960 and have found a local Gannon box blade that's 7' long. Can a Kubota L4060 (40 hp) handle that size?
It'll depend on how you want to use it and how fast you want to get things done.

I use a 1200lb 6.5' box blade behind my L3240, it's used to maintain the road in front of my property which is on a steep hill and mostly made up of millings.
I can pull a box of damp material (lots if fines so pretty heavyl) full enough to overflow the top of the blade up the hill. I do have to have the rpm's up, use low range and be in 4wd, my ballasted weight with loader is about 5800lbs not counting the BB.

Your L4060 is a little bit heavier and has a bit more power so it should be able to pull the 7' fine in similar conditions, you aren't going to be ripping hard pack to full depth but it'll get along fine. If the Gannon is Cat. 2 you can always use bushings to adapt it.

Biggest thing is what your application and expectations are for its use.

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #8  
If you find the box blade is too large for your use or you would like to trade it for one or two lighter box blades let me know. I've been looking for a blade like the one you have for a while now. I have a really nice heavy Hardee 6' BB. And a 7' BB. Both are US made.

/ 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #9  
That Gannon ROBB would be hard for me to pass up if I were you. But that said, to me it is really to big for your L4060 if you want to be able to work efficiently. To me I want to be able to put a tool to work and not have to worry about holding it back because my tractor is to small. I have a standard 7' woods Box Blade on a 7500 lb plus M5640 which is 56 hp and it is all that the tractor wants to handle.

Stay in touch with workinonit could be a win-win.

gg
AtHome2.JPG

Last edited:
   / 7' Gannon roll over box blade & Kubota L4060 #10  
If it's a good price & in good shape - I wouldn't pass it up. If it turns out to be bigger than you need - you will always be able to get your money back on a resale. Gannon implements are great.

I have a Bush Hog 720 ROBB. Weighs around 730#. If I take too deep a cut - I'll all four wheels digging on my M6040. It's all in the skill of use.