70A loader slips out by wedges

/ 70A loader slips out by wedges #1  

Rehola

Tractor
John Deere 2038
I am trying to help out a local non-profit with their old JD tractor. The 70A loader will not lock into the wedged pocket on one side. The entire loader seems skewed to the right and the left side won't stay in. I can not adjust the bolts lower as it fits tight on the wedge but then still slips out. I'm considering welding it as the loader is never removed. Would welding cause any other problems?

/ 70A loader slips out by wedges #2  
How about a picture. Not sure about the parts you are referring to: at the mast posts or up front.

/ 70A loader slips out by wedges #3  
Rehola
Agree we need to see some pics. .jpg files can be attached.

Welcome to TBN

/ 70A loader slips out by wedges
Here is a photo

Attachments

• 20221022_083510_resized.jpg
    20221022_083510_resized.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
   / 70A loader slips out by wedges #5  
Aha ! Now I see what the wedges are and where. Check to see if the wedges are installed backwards. The Parts book photo shows them sharp edge down and cutting edge outward. If mounted inward, I can see how the masts could slip out.

I'd love to see that photo. Seems impossible in that the wedge would have to be down and the cutting edge in to match with the lip on the post.

/ 70A loader slips out by wedges #7  
Was there a curved tab on the wedges that has broken off or are these the wrong wedges for this loader version ? JD Parts shows 2 slightly different treatments of this wedge configuration. 6 vs. 15. So what loader masts do you have ? Go to the JD parts site for your 70a loader and examine the mast and mount pictures. I'm betting you have the wrong wedges. Looks like the curved ones would shoehorn right into the open slots on the masts.

Attachments

• 70a.JPG
    70a.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 70a2.JPG
    70a2.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 67
   / 70A loader slips out by wedges #8  
There ain't no way in h e double.... that i'd weld it. What happens when it needs a clutch after your quick fix?

good idea. I will check the model and see if those are the wrong wedges. I'm not sure what that shoehorn is for as you remove the wedge to install the loader. It looks like some sort of guide (shoehorn as you aptly call it). Thank you.

/ 70A loader slips out by wedges #10  
There ain't no way in h e double.... that i'd weld it. What happens when it needs a clutch after your quick fix?
Yeah, don't weld it. Fix it right.