'72 Ford 2000 OE seat Sparex vs Ai,

/ '72 Ford 2000 OE seat Sparex vs Ai, #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
1972 Ford 2000

Its time for a new seat. I have have had a universal seat on my tractor for ~ 15 yrs but remember the OE seat felt better.

I ordered an Ai replacement pan seat with suspension but it doesn't sit as comfortable. The Ai seat seems farther forward and doesn't have that much travel for my height without adjusting for a heavier person which raises the seat. the frame seems a bit tall and the suspension arms seem long.

I searched the internet some more and see a seat by Sparex that looks like maybe a little more like OE that I remember.

Anyone replaced thier seat with the Sparex and feel it mathes the OE seat or is the Ai suppose to be the better seat? Are there any other brands to consider?

Attachments

• Ai-seat-2000.PNG
    Ai-seat-2000.PNG
    121.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Sparex-seat-2000.PNG
    Sparex-seat-2000.PNG
    358.9 KB · Views: 157
   / '72 Ford 2000 OE seat Sparex vs Ai, #2  
1972 Ford 2000

Its time for a new seat. I have have had a universal seat on my tractor for ~ 15 yrs but remember the OE seat felt better.

I ordered an Ai replacement pan seat with suspension but it doesn't sit as comfortable. The Ai seat seems farther forward and doesn't have that much travel for my height without adjusting for a heavier person which raises the seat. the frame seems a bit tall and the suspension arms seem long.

I searched the internet some more and see a seat by Sparex that looks like maybe a little more like OE that I remember.

Anyone replaced thier seat with the Sparex and feel it mathes the OE seat or is the Ai suppose to be the better seat? Are there any other brands to consider?

Try .....TRAC SEATS - Tractor Seats, John Deere, Massey Ferguson.
They had the best OEM comparable seat for me.

/ '72 Ford 2000 OE seat Sparex vs Ai,
Trac Seats look like the universal seat I took off.

I would prefer an OE seat if I can find one reasonable.

@fried1765

How springy and adjustable is the Trac seat?

I returned the Ai seat and bought a Sparex and its way too stiff. I can't get it to travel or move sitting in it. I am 200 lbs. Even putting my knees in the seat and trying to hop with the adustment as light as it will go I only can get 1/4 to 1/2 an inch travel. I am 5'8" and without a little travel it sits just a bit high. Looks to have plenty of travel and able to adjust for a much heavier person ok. But I think it will be way too stiff unless you weigh 300 lbs or more. Feels like if you adjusted the spring for heavy weight it would be completely rigid and might bend before the spring moved????

My other seats including the Ai would bottom out when adjusted light.

The vinyl and cushion were very stiff on the Sparex. I liked the material of the Ai better.

Dagnabit still not happy with seat replacement.

Recap

Ai OE pan style seat: seat too tall and too far forward because the frame is tall and the seat construction swing arms are longer.

Sparex OE pan style seat: the spring is too stiff and with strong spring no appreciable travel so that it sits too high.

Trac seat sits a bit high and does not adjust to as light of weight person as the other universal seat I had before.

The trac seat seems like quality material but sits a little too high for me at 5'8".

I am going to try to order one more universal seat from yesterday tractor and see.

I may have to drill the mounting and suspension system of my previous universal seat to fit the Trac seat pads/cushions. Might try to change the springs too.

Or take apart the Sparex and try to find a softer spring.

The Trac seat seems ok but leaves some travel left in the design for adjustability. The piston has a shorter stroke than the kinematics of the suspension travel.
The Trac Seat just doesn't travel as far as my previous univeral seat.

Ended up with a TISCO seat. It had a few more inches of travel than the Tracseat. I have to adjust it to the lightest weight and it bottoms out on hard bumps at what I would say is the maximum travel for a universal style seat with adjusting slide. That is what I needed for being 5'8" If I were any shorter I would try a fixed angle seat no slide that might get another inch of squat???

Otherwse Tisco is comparable to the TracSeat. Maybe a tad more finished with E-cliips instead of cotter pins on the pivot rods but overall about the same.