790 hole.

/ 790 hole. #1  

Willl

Elite Member
Anybody know what this hole is for ?
My only guess is maybe it was used for shipping.

Viewed from underneath, just in front of rear axle, looking towards rear.
Left side shown, one on both sides.

Last edited:
   / 790 hole. #2  
Does your transmission still have oil in it?

Edit:

Might be a drain for the brakes.

/ 790 hole. #3  
Well, that means your 790 is a girl. :)

Sorry, I could not resist. I have a 790 and am not familiar with that hole. I will now have to get my shoe on and go out to the shop to see if I can satisfy my ignorance.

/ 790 hole. #4  
Hi will,

Sure looks like a drain or vent to me... could be access for something I suppose, but the height looks right for a vent/overflow.

If you "fish" with a big piece of monofilament or little piece of tubing, do you bring up liquid?

It was definitely covered during the "JD hose 'er down" painting process, so it was either masked, or you've lost something off it.

Check on JD parts for a schematic of the thing for a real for sure answer on it.

/ 790 hole. #5  
This came up before and I checked my 790. Got the same holes. A bit over 300 hours and no issues relative to them.

/ 790 hole. #6  
As Rob mentioned, this came up about 6 or 8 months ago. I looked on my tech manual CD-ROM.
The use of the holes isn't explained, but they are shown in the tech manual..a Deere manual, by the way.

/ 790 hole.
Thanks all, I feel a little better now.

I've got the snapshot riding around in my lunch box, so the next time I'm at the JD shop I'm going to find an answer.

If it's a vent, it needs a vent cap.
If it's a old shipping hole, it'll get a SS bolt for a plug.
I can't leave it as is.

Either way, it's going to get some paint.
If not, it'll rust for sure.

/ 790 hole. #8  
Willl, on the older 750's there was a pipe plug in that hole. It only opens into the brake compartment. The 50 series would sometimes accumulate condensation in the brakes and cause severe rusting of the brake drums. I routinely remove these plugs for ventilation so any condensation can dry out. If it were me, I would paint the bare metal, but don't plug it so it can breathe.

/ 790 hole. #9  
Willl said:
I've got the snapshot riding around in my lunch box, so the next time I'm at the JD shop I'm going to find an answer.

Maybe you'll find that they are the mounting holes for the factory cab with heat, AC and stereo. If so, go ahead and order one for me!

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about them one bit.