8 X 10 calf shed with pics

/ 8 X 10 calf shed with pics #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
First year we have tried to raise calves at our place. Started them in the barn but needed the space for goats so built this 8 X 10 foot calf shed. I also put a gate in to access the largest of three pastures we have. Started the shed by bringing in a few tractor loads of gravel and then forming up for the concrete. Used four lengths of rebar on each of the 3 sides, tied them in pairs to a 2 ½ ft rebar stake and then placed them into the forms. Mixed the cement in my mixer with help from a friend. Put in a total of 9 anchor bolts and after letting it cure for a week started to build the shed. Used full 2 X 6 fir lumber for most of it, these studs and rafters were milled on our property. Used ½ inch plywood on the walls and roof, then the roof got roofing felt and fiberglass shingles. Pretty happy with how it turned out, calves seem to like it as well. :laughing:

Attachments

• Calf&Shed 011.jpg
    Calf&Shed 011.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 379
  • Calf&Shed 012.jpg
    Calf&Shed 012.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 282
  • CalfShed 002.jpg
    CalfShed 002.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 533
  • CalfShed 001.jpg
    CalfShed 001.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
   / 8 X 10 calf shed with pics #3  
I really like that you used concrete for a footing. That's what I'm going to do when I build mine.

Eddie

/ 8 X 10 calf shed with pics #4  
Nice building but I'd do something different with the post columns.
Has anyone besides me ever seen a cow or horse use a structural roof support for a itching post?

/ 8 X 10 calf shed with pics
Has anyone besides me ever seen a cow or horse use a structural roof support for a itching post?[/QUO

I did give that a bit of thought before I built it. Put 4 pieces of 2 ½ foot rebar stakes (each pad) into the ground before I poured the pads for the two posts. It would take an awfully good wallop to move or break the full 4 X 4 inch posts. I also made sure they are well secured at the top. :)

/ 8 X 10 calf shed with pics #6  
Has anyone besides me ever seen a cow or horse use a structural roof support for a itching post?[/QUO

I did give that a bit of thought before I built it. Put 4 pieces of 2 ス foot rebar stakes (each pad) into the ground before I poured the pads for the two posts. It would take an awfully good wallop to move or break the full 4 X 4 inch posts. I also made sure they are well secured at the top. :)
Sounds good. :thumbsup: I wasn't going to comment on it but figured I'd better just in case.