8n, 9n, and 2n owners

/ 8n, 9n, and 2n owners #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
How many *N owners do we have here.

I have an 8n, and wasn't aware of the big differences in the machines. Before i owned one.. they all looked pretty much alike, and i wouldn't be able to tell one from another.. But now i see that the differences aren't so subtle..... For instance.. I did'nt realize that many 2/9n's didn't have running boards...so.. where do you guys put yer feet?

Soundguy

/ 8n, 9n, and 2n owners #2  
The 9n I just looked at had foot pegs. I thought it was a little strange.

/ 8n, 9n, and 2n owners #3  
Guess you can tell by my handle that I am an 8N owner. Not that I don't aspire to own a little orange 4WD with FEL. Got about 3 hours of seat time on it Sunday. She is reliable and fun to work with.

When I bought mine, the same guy had a 2N in better shape for less money. But I couldn't handle the no running boards, 3 spd. versus 4 spd., etc. One big difference is draft (position) control on the 8N. I am learning to be a shade tree mechanic with that old Ford though. Ain't as hard as I thought it would be, except the time we decided to take the hood off. Big mistake.

/ 8n, 9n, and 2n owners #4  
1941 Ford 9N. Originally owned by the Navy, and is beleived to be the first 9N in Alaska. After WWII was owned by a commune of Russian Old Beleivers (Russian Orthodox Sect). Purchased sight unseen for $900 in really bad shape. Shipped to Kodiak Island, Alaska where it underwent a complete ground up restoration that took 30 months. Finally followed my dad to his new retirement home here in Monroe, Washington.

/ 8n, 9n, and 2n owners #5  
I have a '47 2N . It has add on running boards . I usually ride with my feet on the pegs but I cannot imagine trying to get off and on the tractor without the running boards ! They are easy enough to fabricate if you need a set . I personally like my 3 speed tranny . My 2N has position control ! Someone swapped the hydraulics with an 8N at some point . If you have a stock 9N or 2N , you can add position control with a Zane Thang . I got one for my Ferguson 30 but have not yet tried it .

The old Fords are pretty easy to work on . There is very little that I cannot fix myself and I am no mechanic !

Fortyseven2n

/ 8n, 9n, and 2n owners #6  
I used to own an 8N does that count?