8N electrical problems

/ 8N electrical problems #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've got a Ford 8N with a 12 volt conversion. It has ran perfect for years before I started using it (it was my father's tractor). It has always been apparent that the wiring was a mess on it, but there was no reason to do anything about it until it quit running last week. This was a beautifully running tractor.

I started by unwrapping the electrical tape that was wrapped around the all of the wires from the key switch to the starter to the alternator. What a mess! Inside of the tape, there were wires that didn't come out of the bundle on either side, just snipped off inside of there. There were wires connected on one end, but snipped off inside the bundle, and there were wires that were connected to a terminal, ran across towards the alternator, but then looped back and connected to the same terminal that it had started at.

I'm by no means an electrician, but I found several wiring diagrams on the internet, along with directions for alternate ways of doing it.

Since I already had a new key switch with the accessory position, I began wiring it that way, wiring the "P2" terminal on the alternator to the accessory terminal on the switch (so it's not always hot). The ignition terminal goes to the coil, and the battery terminal comes from the battery side of the solenoid. The hot wire for the lights is also tapped off the battery terminal on the key switch.

This seems right to me, but it is dead, not even lights! If I hook the wire for the lights directly to the battery, they work. My next guess was the solenoid. I just replaced it, but still nothing. I assume it would be ok to use a 6 volt solenoid, since that is what was there before and it ran fine for years. If that is the case, do I really need to switch to a 12 volt solenoid, or is there even a such thing? The original ballast resistor was also not used in the previous hookup. Since it ran great for years without it, is it really necessary to have it hooked up?

My next guess of why there is no power would be the battery cable. There's not much of a chance of it going bad, but I'm out of ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any help?

/ 8N electrical problems
Well, after working on it out in the rain all day, I'm able to answer my own questions--

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I assume it would be ok to use a 6 volt solenoid, since that is what was there before and it ran fine for years. )</font>
It worked before, and it works with the new one also.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The original ballast resistor was also not used in the previous hookup. Since it ran great for years without it, is it really necessary to have it hooked up?)</font>
It didn't hook it up this time, and it works fine.

After running to Walmart and buying a battery cable, and replacing the only other wire I hadn't replaced before (the one to the starter button), the tractor started right up and purrs like a big gray and red kitten! The ammeter is even showing that it's charging!

/ 8N electrical problems #3  
<font color="red">After running to Walmart and buying a battery cable, and replacing the only other wire I hadn't replaced before (the one to the starter button), the tractor started right up and purrs like a big gray and red kitten! The ammeter is even showing that it's charging!
</font>

Glad to here you got it running. As I always say, never overlook the simple stuff. Becouse thats most of the time the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 8N electrical problems #4  
A well deserved feeling of accomplishment is a great feeling to experience, ain't it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 8N electrical problems
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A well deserved feeling of accomplishment is a great feeling to experience, ain't it? )</font>

Yes it is. It's always a great feeling to go into something not knowing what you're doing, and come out of it with that experience.

/ 8N electrical problems #6  
Glad to heaqr you got it going. One thing though.. if the ballast resistor has been bypassed.. AND the tractor has not needed a new coil for 'years' then you most likely have a newer style 12v coil. A word of caution.. now that you have cleaned up all the contacts good, IF you start loosing coils, run to radio shack and buy a 2 pack of the 1 ohm 10 watt resistors, parallel them to make a .5 ohm 20 watt resistor and install than in the line before the ignition coil.. it will save your 12v front mount coil.. many of them are of bubious quality and will tolerate 12v.. but not the 13.8 v of the alternator.

If by chgance you have a side mount 12v coil, cobbeled up to run the front mount distribuitor, you are already ok, as the sidemount 12v coils were ok with the 13.8 volts from the alternator.

And yes, as you found out, the 6v solenoid and starter are fine with 12v... as long as you don't crank on it forever..

Soundguy