8N HI/Low

/ 8N HI/Low #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
Ive been helping a friend on her alpaca/llama farm. Shes great with the animals but doesnt have a handy bone in her body and neither does her husband, and her kids could care less about the farm.

Ive been working one day a week at her place fixing stuff. (the list is LONG) so last week we got around to the 8N she has.

This is the first time for me to work with old iron. Ive already spent a few hrs online researching things out like how the 3pt works (or doesnt for that matter)

Ive come across a few mentions of a high/low "gear"

was this an option? did all 8N's have this? was the standard just a 4 spd?

how do i tell if the tractor has a high/low and were do i find it?

/ 8N HI/Low #2  
8n's came standard with a 4spd. Optional pre- trannies could be installed. lots of manufacturers.. sherman was the most popular.. but hup, and F&T were also players.

shermans will have a handle on the left side in front of the clutch ont he bellhousing.. most of the others are ont he right side.

many were just overdrive.. so you had OD plus regualr gears.. neutral in the middle.. some were underdrive, and some were ombo.. the combo shifter is bent like a dogleg.. and it also moves for / aft and has a neutral, but has a section where it pulls out tot he side as well. thus hi, low, and straight.

lift is easy to work on.. in fact may not even be broke... has to have pto turning to work, and the control valve sticks sometimes due to dirty oil.. if that's it you can reach inthe inspection port an manipulate it usually and free it up.. otherwise could be lots of things.. blown open relief.. or worn in two cam follower pin / worn cam.. etc.

soundguy

/ 8N HI/Low
8n's came standard with a 4spd. Optional pre- trannies could be installed. lots of manufacturers.. sherman was the most popular.. but hup, and F&T were also players.

shermans will have a handle on the left side in front of the clutch ont he bellhousing.. most of the others are ont he right side.

many were just overdrive.. so you had OD plus regualr gears.. neutral in the middle.. some were underdrive, and some were ombo.. the combo shifter is bent like a dogleg.. and it also moves for / aft and has a neutral, but has a section where it pulls out tot he side as well. thus hi, low, and straight.

lift is easy to work on.. in fact may not even be broke... has to have pto turning to work, and the control valve sticks sometimes due to dirty oil.. if that's it you can reach inthe inspection port an manipulate it usually and free it up.. otherwise could be lots of things.. blown open relief.. or worn in two cam follower pin / worn cam.. etc.

soundguy

it was the pto has to be spinning part that threw me off..... but the control isnt very precise so perhaps an oil change is in order also

/ 8N HI/Low #4  
if you have the lil 3" handle down it is in draft mode and that canmake for an eratic lift. up is position control.. however if oil is dirty.. DO flush and change it.

ie.. drain, pour in 2g diesel, drive back and forth a few feet, then drain.. then refill.

soundguy

/ 8N HI/Low #5  
How difficult would it be to find/add a howard tranny for the 8N?

/ 8N HI/Low #6  
about 1500$ hard, plus a rear split. ( tranny to diffy )

soundguy

/ 8N HI/Low #7  
Might be able to find a used 8N with a Sherman overdrive near an Amish community. Those things had the nickname of "Amish Ferrari" in my area. They would get up and go.

/ 8N HI/Low #8  
a howard is altogether different from a sherman

sherman is pre tranny.. changes ground speed and pto speed.

a howard is post tranny.. changes groud speed but not pto speed. thus you canuse a howard to run a rototiller by dropping the N ground speed to a crawl and still keep rpms up to run a rototiller.

sherman go from 200 to usually not muchmore than 700.. I've yet to ever see a howard under a grand.

soundguy