90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #1  

Brambleberry

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4850 EverClutch
So as I'm rabidly searching for a used kubota, a friend of mine who I trust on machines says that the newer kubotas are not made as well as the 80's and 90's era Kubotas, and that I should specifically look for one of that age versus the early 2000's which is what I've been focusing on.

Is there anything to this, or is it just a myth that I should ignore? My big hesitation is that whether or not they're better built, they are still older and probably have more seals, gaskets, little nickel-and-dime things that I might have to deal with.

The other thing he said is that Kubota parts are crazy expensive versus something like Massey Ferguson which uses AGCO parts that are much less expensive. Again, myth or is there something to this? I also am thinking that the answer might just be that "yes, they are more expensive, but they are better quality parts, so you shouldn't have to replace them as often."

I'm not stuck on Kubota, I just want to finally have a tractor that I'm not constantly having to fix like my old TO-35, Pasquali 988, and (thankfully sold it last year) zetor 5211.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, TIA

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #2  
So as I'm rabidly searching for a used kubota, a friend of mine who I trust on machines says that the newer kubotas are not made as well as the 80's and 90's era Kubotas, and that I should specifically look for one of that age versus the early 2000's which is what I've been focusing on.

Is there anything to this, or is it just a myth that I should ignore? My big hesitation is that whether or not they're better built, they are still older and probably have more seals, gaskets, little nickel-and-dime things that I might have to deal with.

The other thing he said is that Kubota parts are crazy expensive versus something like Massey Ferguson which uses AGCO parts that are much less expensive. Again, myth or is there something to this? I also am thinking that the answer might just be that "yes, they are more expensive, but they are better quality parts, so you shouldn't have to replace them as often."

I'm not stuck on Kubota, I just want to finally have a tractor that I'm not constantly having to fix like my old TO-35, Pasquali 988, and (thankfully sold it last year) zetor 5211.

I would suggest that the pre Tier 4 Kubotas of the 2000's are likely the best you can get in a modern tractor.

Last edited:
   / 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #3  
I would suggest a pre emissions tractor but that gives you a few more years to pick from. I’m not 100 percent sure but I think that was 2015 or so.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #4  
I work the heck out of my 2013 B2620 and only issue it has ever had was the weld broke on the loader joystick.

So if the 90's Kubota's are even better than that....that's awesome!

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #5  

I bought my first Kubota in 94 and still have it. I also have 4 other Kubotas and have found all to be well built and reliable. No, I did not say perfect.

I've owned other brands, e.g., NH, MF, JD, etc. and find parts prices to be comparable with Kubota. Chalk that one up to myth.

SDT

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #6  
I remember when they began putting starters on motorcycles and for years there were people who insisted the pre starter models were more reliable, didn't have all that extra electrical stuff to fail, blah blah. I think that characterizing technical advancements as a problem looks misguided when you reflect on it 50 years later. So I'd try to get the newest model that you can afford and benefit from the latest designs.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #7  
Must be true... a 1995 Kubota has lasted 26 years already where a 2005 one has only lasted 16 years so far?

I would agree any pre DPF ones are all the same quality. I've been quite happy with my "teen" era M series. No issues of concern.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #8  
I remember when they began putting starters on motorcycles and for years there were people who insisted the pre starter models were more reliable, didn't have all that extra electrical stuff to fail, blah blah. I think that characterizing technical advancements as a problem looks misguided when you reflect on it 50 years later. So I'd try to get the newest model that you can afford and benefit from the latest designs.
And good luck with electronics quirks, and DPF issues!
See if you can get the dealer to agree to warranty length (in writing) free pick up, no matter how far away.
There is a real likelihood you may need this.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #9  

The L models sold from 1984 - 1997 were unique. Heavy and engineered for severe use, with features not often found on "compact tractors", such as 5 cyl. engines and extreme duty clutch packs (no HST!). They were probably overkill for the compact tractor market and probably expensive to build as well. Later models, while still very good, were not quite so over-the-top for the work most people were doing with a "compact". Those earlier L models, L3750, L4150, L4850, L5450, maybe others, were special and are coveted today.

If your friend is specifically referring to these, he's right. If he's just generally pontificating, well, it's still a free country, more or less.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #10  
I have a TO-30 and a kubota b8200. And they couldn't be more different. Definitely not designed for the same purpose.