911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering!

/ 911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering! #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I spent 2 hours +/- bushhogging my neighbor's hill and had just got done. Transferred from one gear to another to ride up the hill and go home. There was soft thump or click and all power going forward went away. It was if the transmission had accidentally got shifted into Neutral.

But in this case, there were no major sticks or branches that could grab anything. The steering column shifter was in forward and the gear selector was in the proper gear and it's locked out N anyway. Tried Reverse - nothing; it was free wheeling either way F or R (but it always went backwards because I was on a hill). Then I noticed power steering was out; extremely difficult to move the steering wheel at all. I tried the FEL and 3ph and both worked fine. I had checked the hydro and engine oil before I left; but I didn't check it while on the hill. There is nothing hanging below the tractor and there were no major oil leaks or drippings or anything. Started and stopped the engine several times; tried taking it into and out of gear, changed gears - nothing.

My neighbor and I will take his 95 hp Kubota down there tomorrow AM and retrieve it.

It sounds to me like a shifter linkage failed - but then that doesn't account for the power steering loss. So I'm puzzled and stumped.

Any ideas or suggestions? I might have an hour here of daylight where I could go back and try something; it's only 1 1/2 mile to my neighbor's.

Thanks,

/ 911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering! #2  
911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering!

HST pedal linkage?
Does engine seem to labor when you try to go forward or reverse?

Did you try shifting with clutch OUT? If it grinds, shove clutch in and try slipping it while you slide lever into gear. This let’s you know it is all the way engaged.

/ 911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering!
GST model, sorry I didn't mention that.

No change to engine noise or anything when shifting or anything. Zero response from the tranny to movement, no matter what I do. No noises other than the engine; no grinding etc.

GST model, sorry I didn't mention that.

No change to engine noise or anything when shifting or anything. Zero response from the tranny to movement, no matter what I do. No noises other than the engine; no grinding etc.

/ 911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering! #5  
I wonder if the GST glide shift works on hydraulics, and if it's on the same pump as the power steering. if that pump stops, that would explain it..

/ 911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering! #6  
Hyd pump shaft coupler would be the 1st thing I would look at.

/ 911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering! #7  
I wonder if the GST glide shift works on hydraulics, and if it's on the same pump as the power steering. if that pump stops, that would explain it..

I don't know all that much about GST, but I do know in my tractor the low pressure (255 psi) section of the main hydraulic pump operates the geroter motor for the power steering and also is used for the charge pump function of the HST transmission. You need to get a hydraulic diagram and look for the commonality of these systems.

/ 911 Emergency! Lost all Forward, Reverse & Power Steering! #8  
Just for fun I used my main web page to search your problem, and got sent back to TBN! In 2018 another member had a similar problem with his L35. Posters have already posted similar suggestions to your problem.

PROBLEM SOLVED! I wish to extend my sincere thanks to Tags, DieselBound, Leejohn, TMGT & David_Kb7uns for very helpful inputs. Problem turned out to be air getting into the suction line (hence the many micro air bubbles in the hydrology oil). The culprit was 3 small lengths of old hose in the suction line. When I replaced those with new hose & new hose clamps, everything turned up roses.View attachment 534855

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Ed

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/389137-kubota-l35-no-forward-reverse-2.html

The good news is it doesn't sound like an expensive repair bill; rather, just a PITA.
That's why it's nice to come back and post the reason for a problem.

"My Kubota L35 will not go forward, or into reverse and there is no steering. Hydraulic oil level is full. Bucket and Backhoe work fine."

Except for the backhoe part, sounds exactly like my problem. Off to find the suction hoses on my tractor.....

Thanks!

Messick's on line parts diagram H20501 Hydraulic Oil Line (Inlet) [except HST type], part number 110: hose, inlet, #T1150-33340 $21.27, 3 in stock.

If so, this is the 2nd hose this week to start leaking (lower radiator hose); the first of any since it was made in 2005. Sounds like I need to start replacing hoses on my tractor. :(

Thanks for the help! I'll get it home today and go from there.

I *assume* this hose would be some form of hydraulic hose? Assuming it's not too crazily shaped, any hydraulic hose place could replace it?

Thanks,

GST hydraulic system.png

Last edited: