A Big Job - Allis Chalmers Film

/ A Big Job - Allis Chalmers Film #2  
Amazing video. Hard to believe what men used to be able to accomplish with what we see as antiquated equipment.

/ A Big Job - Allis Chalmers Film
Amazing video. Hard to believe what men used to be able to accomplish with what we see as antiquated equipment.
Absolutely. In one brief moment the push dozer behind one of the material conveyors is shown while a carrier is being loaded. He's on an open station dozer and the wind is blowing all of the dust created right on him. Be hard to find an operator that would tolerate that today.....

/ A Big Job - Allis Chalmers Film #4  
That is showing me what the World was like when I was10 . THANKS Richard .

/ A Big Job - Allis Chalmers Film #5  
Garrison Dam:

I was about 12 years behind this operation when I entered the construction industry. My employer was the same one whose yellow/black service rig was shown.

Garrison Dam:

I was about 12 years behind this operation when I entered the construction industry. My employer was the same one whose yellow/black service rig was shown.
There were a lot of projects such as this one that were initiated and completed during those years. Locally, our Soil Conservation Department approved the construction of many large ponds/small lakes for erosion control. They served a community purpose. But most importantly they provided jobs for the large number of laborers returning from WWII.

My Dad had purchased his farm in 1948. He spent the first Summer hauling Rip Rap from the local quarry to one of these lakes. He used his Ford 8N tractor with over/under and a two wheel trailer. Probably hauling 3K lbs of material maximum. The Lake was 8 miles from the Quarry.

/ A Big Job - Allis Chalmers Film #7  
My family memebers reside just south and north of BIG bend dam. My sister and her husband work at the Fort Thomson school.

My family memebers reside just south and north of BIG bend dam. My sister and her husband work at the Fort Thomson school.
They might enjoy this video?

It's on my bucket list to see since I've watched the construction video.

Wouldn't it have been cool to know the area before the dam. Then return after the lake had filled.

/ A Big Job - Allis Chalmers Film #9  
Would have been an interesting project to be a part of for sure.