A Cooking Show Like No Other...

/ A Cooking Show Like No Other... #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
   / A Cooking Show Like No Other... #2  
I skimmed through the video; looks like an awful lot of work for a pot of soup. It takes me most of the day in the kitchen to make a big pot of stew; I don't mind smoking ribs or grilling a steak outside, but I think I'll skip on his methodology. My stew recipe:

“He Man Beef Stew”

This recipe has evolved over a period of 40 years of making stew to my liking. It has a very beefy flavor, and that is what I like. I have tried lots of different combinations of veggies, and most are good, but it is easy to get too much of one thing if you aren't careful. Such veggies as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage are good, but I would never add over a cup of so of any of these combined.

Leeks are good, give good color, but have such a subtle taste that it is overpowered. Corn has such a powerful flavor that I never use any more that comes in a package of frozen mixed vegetables. It is very easy to get too much corn, and that ruins it for me.

INGREDIENTS

1 beef Chuck roast, 3-4 pounds, cut into 3/4 inch cubes

NOTE: (chuck roast is, in my opinion the best meat for stew; it has enough fat for flavor, and cooks up tender. You can often find a bone-in chuck roast, which is ideal. The soup bone adds that little bit of extra flavor that makes the stew great).

1 beef soup bone

4 or 5 medium white potatoes, sliced into 1 inch cubes

1 small stalk of celery, sliced into 3/4 inch lengths

1 small package of fresh carrots, sliced into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices

3 or 4 large mushrooms, sliced

1/3 cup of pearl barley

1 small package of mixed vegetables

NOTE: (choose according to your own taste. Go easy on corn, unless you really like it. A small package of frozen mixed vegetables usually doesn't have too much corn though).

2 cups sliced okra (YES, OKRA IS OPTIONAL...BUT I LIKE IT!)

1 can diced tomatoes (You can add two cans if you really like tomatoes, but one is plenty if you intend to add the Rotel. And DO NOT USED STEWED TOMATOES unless you like your stew to have a sweet flavor, which I don't)

2 -11.5 oz. cans of V8 vegetable juice

1 can of Rotel tomatoes with diced chili peppers (optional, omit if you don't like a bit of hot peppers)

1 tbsp dry parsley flakes

1 tbsp sweet Basil (dry is what I use)

4 cloves fresh garlic, crushed or finely chopped

1 medium YELLOW onion, diced

1 tbsp. olive oil or cooking oil

salt and pepper to taste

In a large stew pot, (at least a 12 quart) add oil and onion. Turn heat on high, and stir occasionally until onions begin to clarify. I usually start cutting up the chuck roast at this time.

Add cubed beef, sweet basil, garlic, salt and pepper (I usually don't have the meat all cut up before the onions are ready, so I end up adding it a little bit at a time as I get it cut). Stir occasionally until meat is well browned.

You can start slicing the celery, carrots and potatoes. (Man, smells good, doesn't it?)

Add V8 juice, pearl barley, parsley flakes, soup bone and enough water to cover if necessary. Lower heat to medium and simmer until meat starts to show some tenderness, usually about 1/2 hour or so.

Add carrots and celery, cook on low heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until carrots begin to show tender.

Add the frozen veggie mix, and cook for approximately another 1/2 hour (it's good to check the cooking times on the label, and adjust the cooking time accordingly).

Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low heat until potatoes are done, approximately another half hour or so.

ENJOY

NOTE: I often add SMALL amounts of other frozen veggies, such as black eyed peas, lima beans, bell peppers, stir fry, etc., for color, if they are available. Be careful, though, you may have to get a bigger pot, and end up with too many veggies and not enough meat. And remember, some veggies, especially fresh veggies, may take a bit longer to cook, so you may have to add them earlier in the process.

Last edited:
   / A Cooking Show Like No Other... #3  
Leak and potato soup
I make this in the winter for my family, quick and easy, never fails

Butter
50 Gram
Potatoes450 Gram , peeled and cut into small chunks
Onions2 , chopped
Chicken stock2 Pint
Mixed herbsTo Taste (Use Fresh Or Dried)
Chopped leeks225 Gram
Black pepper & salt

Directions​

MAKING
1) In a large frying pan, melt the butter.
2) Fry the onions and potatoes in butter for a few minutes.
3) Add the herbs, stock and leeks.
4) Gently simmer till the potatoes are cooked.
5) Let the soup cool for about 10 minutes.
6) Add the yogurt, mix well and then liquidize.

SERVING
7) Serve the soup hot or cold, as preferred. Croutons can be used as garnish. Makes a good appetizer.

Recipe Summary​

Difficulty Level: Very Easy
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 10 Minutes
Servings: 6