A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential...

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #1  

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
Looking through the local craigslist ads for anything interesting to me, I just happened to click one for a cheap post hole digger and much to my surprise the thing was home made from the rear axle of a car...

Perhaps someone has seen this done before, but it was a first for me and I thought I'd share.

3 Point Hitch 12 Inch Post Auger

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #2  
Good old ingenuity! I've not seen it before either.

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #3  
I have seen a few of them over the years at auctions, They are built with a ford 9" rear end and work pretty good.

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #4  
Probably 50% of those I saw in the 1950's to 70's were built that way. Now only the few of those old ones show up.

Bruce

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #5  
I've seen a few also.
Talk about pulling a PHD out of your rear.

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential...
   / A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #7  
I've seen various ones built out of a car rear end before. What I find interesting is the one you posted looks almost identical to one the folks down the road have, right down to the little hook on the end. I wonder if there were plans floating around to build that particular model back in the day? I know Popular Mechanics had farm equipment plans up through the '60s.

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #8  
There's tons of them around here. I have one and it works great. It looks exactly like the one in the picture but with a different mounting frame. It even has the hook and the handle just like the one in the picture.

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #9  
My neighbor has one very similar.

/ A first for me. Home made post hole digger out of car rear differential... #10  
My father in law has one... ford 9"...