A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #1  

Cataclysm

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS4155HC
I scored this Drill but the shed it sets in doesn't go with it. I'm looking for the best way to preserve it until I can get a shed built for it. Maybe a couple of years at the most.

I've seen some with yellow vinyl covers over the boxes sitting around so maybe that's an option and where is a good place to get them. The boxes are in great condition with only minimal surface rust inside, what's the best thing to coat the inside of the boxes with to keep rusting to a minimum? I'm thinking diesel but you guys know what works best and can be cleaned off enough to still use the drill.

This is my first grain drill so any tips on use are appreciated. I plan on driling wheat this fall to run cattle on and will use it next spring to spot drill for pasture improvement.

I'd like to drill wheat, rye, vetch and clover if this drill is capable of handling those seed sizes.

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #2  
I have a set of 8350 drills, when I am done for the season I sweep them out and then spray diesel fuel in and around the fertilizer box or any part that has come in contact with fertilizer. My tarps came with the drill but I would try a John Deere dealership first to find them. The tarps do a good job of covering the important parts of the drill.

By next season the diesel doesn't cause any issue and I haven't had an issue with it damaging the rubber boots

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #3  
Apiece of rubber roofing would work well. Ed

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #4  
If you live near any lakes. The heat shrink boat covers work very well!

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill
Good ideas by all! I will start pricing tarps and look into the heat shrink boat covers. No lakes real close but its worth a try!

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #6  
Cheap plastic tarps will degrade quickly from solar ultraviolet.
I had some left over rubber sheet from the liner for my koi pond. Used that to cover my restored Minneapolis-Moline P3-6 drill (10 ft wide, 20 drops, single disc openers).

Good luck

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #7  
Nice looking drill:thumbsup:

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #8  
A boat cover?

/ A Good Cover for a JD 8000 Grain Drill #9  
At this time of the year a temporary plastic garage type structure can often be found for $250 or less brand new.
Having air circulation will be much better than trapping moisture under a tarp.
1 ft. x 17 ft. Portable Garage

Dave M7040