A kid gets terminated at work...

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Then I moved South. It's a lot like living on a one way street.
Funny you say that. I was going to argue you about that comment since I've been down in NC for over 20 years, but everyone I have worked for is located out of state per their home office :ROFLMAO: The one local company in NC I did interview for wanted me to sign a 23 page no compete clause which basically gave them the right to fire me for any reason and then keep me out of the industry for 3 years if they did let me go. I told the guy I couldn't work for him. He actually didn't understand why I said no.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
That was a valuable lesson. It was better to "live it" than have someone explain it to me. So maybe what is coming is good for your kid.
Exactly the way my wife and I see it. Nice thing is the kid has little overhead going to school and everything earned is banked religiously.

Apparently one shift manager keeps screwing things up, particularly the work schedule, but the company won't replace her because they're afraid afraid they won't find anyone else, so my kid is stuck with this shift manager. Another work place learning experience being stuck with a not so great supervisor vs other supervisors on how they interact with the employees LOL

Last edited:

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
It seems so easy to blame the poor and stupid for the worlds problems but they really aint the ones running the place.
No matter what your job, do it to the best of your ability.

When you only copy the previous work schedule beacuse it's the easiest thing to do when people have already put in for time off and you don't change the schedule, yeah, it's the poor, stupid and lazy people running the show who are to blame IMO.

You only get what you pay for most of the time when it comes to help when you're the brains of the outfit 😁

Gator6x4

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3830
My one child (sophomore in high school) works for a pretty well know national "upscale" food chain.

I heard my wife talking with my kid, and she (wife) was laughing hysterically, so I was curious as to what was so funny.

A coworker a while ago (teenager as well) apparently brought pot/weed into the restaurant, didn't want it on him, didn't know what to do with it, so he put in a oven. Low and behold, either the oven was on or someone turned it on with the pot/weed still in the oven, and you can guess what happened...

Apparently that was only good for a write up....

Little while later, same kid who threw the pot/weed in the oven got caught in the bathroom smoking his stash with other some other co workers in the bathroom. Same story, everyone written up, no one terminated.

Well, the third strike that finally got the two peat offender fired was he overcharged a customer $1.50 on their invoice.

Break the law twice where you could actually be arrested, no problem, keep your job. Make a simple mistake which anyone with a bad day could do, and that's the final straw?

Have to give my kid credit, already applying for other jobs to find something better.

Management probably had evidence that the individuals cognitive abilities were decreasing and the previous incidences of cannabis abuse alerted them to the fact they had a ticking time bomb employee that needed to go.

All the things people do not want you to know about the God given herb, Marijuana.

"Cannabis use has been shown to impair cognitive functions on a number of levels—from basic motor coordination to more complex executive function tasks, such as the ability to plan, organize, solve problems, make decisions, remember, and control emotions and behavior."

Last edited:

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Management probably had evidence that the individuals cognitive abilities were decreasing and the previous incidences of cannabis abuse alerted them to the fact they had a ticking time bomb employee that needed to go.

All the things people do not want you to know about the God given herb, Marijuana.

"Cannabis use has been shown to impair cognitive functions on a number of levels—from basic motor coordination to more complex executive function tasks, such as the ability to plan, organize, solve problems, make decisions, remember, and control emotions and behavior."

Good reply, but I have enough information to honestly believe that 20 and 40 year olds "managers" making $10 to $11 an hour as management may be no better than 16 year olds making $8 and change an hour.

A guy accidently burns weed in a business oven, he's fired, period. Common sense. For myself, it's not even open to discussion.

Had a talk with my son last night. I'm proud of him for still sticking it out, but if he wants to make a good first impression for job interviewing, he first needs to get a hair cut. The question becomes how much does he actually want to leave vs the changes he might have to make on his end (ironically enough, played "Signs" the song for him from the five man electrical band off my phone for him as well, and told him I may not think it's right or wrong, just the way of the world, and this song was written in 1971).

Since he's still in high school with 2 years left, and a CRAP LOAD of money he's saved, he could realistically stick it out if he wants to until he graduates.

Still a good learning experience dealing with horrible managers on his end.

Last edited:

plowhog

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
Had a talk with my son last night. I'm proud of him for still sticking it out
It sounds like your son is learning some very valuable lessons much earlier in life than a lot of others. Good for him!

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
It sounds like your son is learning some very valuable lessons much earlier in life than a lot of others. Good for him!
I sincerely think he is.

I also told him that's why I don't get on him about his hair LMAO (decent grades and he listens at home)

Kid is smart though. He told me girls like to run their fingers through his hair (both my father and I had a #2 on sides most of our lives LOL).

I did tell him if I was hiring, his hair would be a negative as when it comes to job interviews, the expectation is "clean looking". Not saying it's right or wrong, but when it comes to job interviews, one aspect is the presentation of yourself as a person, which is very important IMO. Keep in mind, we're talking 16 year old work here.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Got to give my one kid credit.

The workplace is now giving at least a $3 wage increase becuase they lost so many people. My kid has the most seniority at the workplace now because everyone else hired prior has quit.

To give you an idea of the soap opera... kid drives 30 minutes into work because work doesn't have the work scheduel up yet (when they are supposed to). When the kid gets there to find the work schedule, the "manager" asks him to work that night even though they aren't scheduled, BUT... the manager wants the kid to change into "work clothes" (kid wears an apron, washes dishes and takes the trash out for the most part where no cusomters see them LOL) and management wants the kid to drive all the way home to change a SHIRT only? I tell my kid "NO, they want you to work now, you stay there, as it makes no sense for you to drive 2 hours round trip (with gas paid on our side) when the kid is doing them a favor by staying to work when they aren't scheduled.

What do you know, the "manager" agreeded with my assesment and let the kid stay to work without having to drive back to our home a second time because they don't know how to scheduel.

The key to having good people is using common sense, do what you're supposed to do as a manager, and treat people the way you expect to be treated. Do that, no need for a union IMO.

Last edited:

paulsharvey

Platinum Member
Tractor
L285
Late into this; but in N FLa almost every business is looking for help. My son got his first job this summer, and a camp ground, working mostly in a commercial kitchen. When he was hired, he explained they have an App to claim shifts. They can basically sign up or skip shifts as long as they are open, and employees don't go over 40hrs. Now, a 15y/o can work upto 40hrs during summer, and only 13hrs during school. When he told me about the App, I was worried that he would only want to work like 4 hrs per week, but he surprised me. He was working as much as possible, and when he hit 40hrs, he would ask if the boss had anything else too do. They ended up paying him to clean out the house of an old dead manager.

I was surprised and proud that he had a good work ethic. Now, its mostly 15-21 year olds, and they do goof around at work, seeing who will stay in walk in freezer longest, ect; but you expect some of that from kids.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Late into this; but in N FLa almost every business is looking for help. My son got his first job this summer, and a camp ground, working mostly in a commercial kitchen. When he was hired, he explained they have an App to claim shifts. They can basically sign up or skip shifts as long as they are open, and employees don't go over 40hrs. Now, a 15y/o can work upto 40hrs during summer, and only 13hrs during school. When he told me about the App, I was worried that he would only want to work like 4 hrs per week, but he surprised me. He was working as much as possible, and when he hit 40hrs, he would ask if the boss had anything else too do. They ended up paying him to clean out the house of an old dead manager.

I was surprised and proud that he had a good work ethic. Now, its mostly 15-21 year olds, and they do goof around at work, seeing who will stay in walk in freezer longest, ect; but you expect some of that from kids.
The kids at work are on a group chat on their phones, and the reality is NOTHING goes on at work without the kids hearing about it. If a supervisor does something stupid, they all know about it.

paulsharvey

Platinum Member
Tractor
L285
Son and his buddys where playing on computer, some kinda first person shooter, team game, and they where half chatting about work and half about the game.

My work, we have a group text, but they are government workers, so it has to stay some what appropriate, and they have to keep in mind it could be pulled up as part of a public record search.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Son and his buddys where playing on computer, some kinda first person shooter, team game, and they where half chatting about work and half about the game.
No, these kids know exactly what is going on at work after the shift ends. Pretty much all teens, they are on some kind of group chat ap. Actually kind of funny and scary how quick they find out what's going on. Kids today don't text like I text work work, they use an ap, sort of like snap chat, which I still don't really understand.

That said, pretty proud as my kid stuck it out. Actually it will be a $3.75 raise.

That said, when you're a company hiring kids who work part time during the school year and summer 40 hour weeks (while still in high school), common sense tells me you start them all out at the same pay rate and have it in writing how the raises work via work performance and time. This company started my kid out at $8.25 and hour and then start other teens out anywhere between $9-$10 an hour. Out of 4 or 5 teens, no one got the same pay rate. When this company opened up yet another location, they were starting new employees out at $11 an hour. Why they did this made no sense to me, that said, it's not my job. It's also very interesting when the shift managers name comes up in the customer review section as to making people upset mulitple times LOL

That said, when you don't terminate someone for actually baking weed in the company oven, who knows LOL

Last edited:

tradosaurus

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
You don't need anything specific to fire a non union worker in NC. No cause or justification needed, want somebody gone; terminate them.
And that ain't right!

I've was laid off from a job that I worked for the company 9 years as an engineer. My new boss who use to be my co-worker didn't like me and the first chance he got he laid me off. Corporations deserve unions. And I take the good with the bad working for the federal gov't.

I have a 75 y.o. co-worker who can't see his computer screen and sleeps 50% of the time. He can retire with full benefits but has nothing else to do.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
And that ain't right!
I worked in NC for over 20 years now. Never "let go" or fired.

We had a bum work here in NC. My new company is now located out of New York. This co worker was milking every excuse he could do not to work, particularly with workmans comp. The home office went by their New York State laws. It was absolutely stupid with what the local office had to put up with this guy for about 6 months because they wanted the local office to follow the home office's guidelines on what they could "legally" do to terminate this guy.

Gave me a new better appreciation for working in NC when I worked for a local company and we had to get rid of the rift raft...

tradosaurus

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I worked in NC for over 20 years now. Never "let go" or fired.
Congrats!

I was never a "company" man. I did my work but don't ask me to be a company cheerleader. I work for the paycheck not the company.

I would have been better of learning a trade and then making bank with overtime.

paulsharvey

Platinum Member
Tractor
L285
I know its kinda drifting the topic; but I saw some mention giving notice, ect. I have always given 2 weeks, and in my industry I know that I can get a call any day to turn my truck in. I also know some companies that, if an employee gives their two weeks, they send them home on the spot. I dont like that approach, but I do understand it. You don't want a employee just milking out two weeks, doing nothing, and possibly stealing stuff ect.

My particular line of work, people change companies regularly, but everyone knows everyone. Changing companies isn't looked down on generally, and most people just see it as 'what name is on the truck door'. With that said, people don't remember your screw up as being with a company, but your reputation follows you, from company to company.

About 4 years ago, I gave notice to my employer, Company A, and with 30 minutes another company called me, to say, We are hiring you. I said No, im going to XVY. Well after 5 weeks with XVY, not really doing what I expected, I called them (Company B) and went right to work. One the notice thing, when I talked to Company B, they told me flat out, if you want to give XVY notice, do it now, your starting in 2 weeks here. Gave notice before paperwork, drug test, ect was back.

Boss from Company A, is a good friend with boss from Company B, and they eat lunch together probably once per week.

tradosaurus

Veteran Member
Tractor
I know its kinda drifting the topic; but I saw some mention giving notice, ect. I have always given 2 weeks, and in my industry I know that I can get a call any day to turn my truck in. I also know some companies that, if an employee gives their two weeks, they send them home on the spot. I dont like that approach, but I do understand it. You don't want a employee just milking out two weeks, doing nothing, and possibly stealing stuff ect.

My particular line of work, people change companies regularly, but everyone knows everyone. Changing companies isn't looked down on generally, and most people just see it as 'what name is on the truck door'. With that said, people don't remember your screw up as being with a company, but your reputation follows you, from company to company.

About 4 years ago, I gave notice to my employer, Company A, and with 30 minutes another company called me, to say, We are hiring you. I said No, im going to XVY. Well after 5 weeks with XVY, not really doing what I expected, I called them (Company B) and went right to work. One the notice thing, when I talked to Company B, they told me flat out, if you want to give XVY notice, do it now, your starting in 2 weeks here. Gave notice before paperwork, drug test, ect was back.

Boss from Company A, is a good friend with boss from Company B, and they eat lunch together probably once per week.
My philosophy after 30 yrs in the workforce is that if a company won't give me 2 weeks notice then I'm not going to give them 2 weeks notice before moving on.

Also private companies don't want you to share your salary with other employees as it allows the company to underpay. With the federal gov't everyone knows what everyone else is making and I like that.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
My son developed those desirable work ethics when working during Xmas rushes.
Of some 12 'rush workers' he was the only one offered a full time job.

But then I had the same experience working Xmas sales job at Sears as a teen.
I actually learned how to serve 2-3 clients at the same time while the permanent staff was not to be seen. I'd need a second order pad most shifts while the perms barely used a half.

Son went on to become a research scientist for the Colorado river commission.
Not only has he a doctorate but also is a level 4 actuary.
He works hard and plays hard and has travelled the world over.

Oh, can I tell stories of hiring as a small business owner.
Like so called engineers applying for a technician job and having to justify why not in court.
(Hey, did not wish to re design that device, just a repair that met aviation standards without re certification.)
or that electronic professor wanting a summer job but could not answer simple trade practice questions. (typically replied, "as per the specs' but did not know the most common practices, like wire gauge fusing and current limits)

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I worked every day (outside of working for family) since 11th grade. I graduated from high school and started with a state agency within a week.

Retirement is great - if you have the time.
Worked in a knitting mill starting in 9th grade. Walked about 2 miles to work. Would love to say I walked uphill both ways in snow over 5' tall, but don't remember that. Every year since that grade though, they pulled taxes for social security when they use to send out that statement.

I'll be like my dad, probably work until my 70's just so I have something to do.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Congrats!

I was never a "company" man. I did my work but don't ask me to be a company cheerleader. I work for the paycheck not the company.

I would have been better of learning a trade and then making bank with overtime.
I kind of feel sorry for you.

I don't think I could ever work 8-5.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
But then I had the same experience working Xmas sales job at Sears as a teen.
I actually learned how to serve 2-3 clients at the same time while the permanent staff was not to be seen. I'd need a second order pad most shifts while the perms barely used a half.
For me it was Macy's in Bethlehem PA during Christmas.

Learned that retail is NOT what I wanted to get into, then learned later that the food industry isn't what I didn't want to make a career of as well LOL

Don't get me wrong, if my kid wants to work in food after high school because that's what he LOVES to do, knock themselves out.

You hit the nail on the head though IMO, give 110% and do it right. From there, you will grow IMO.

My biggest issue was I was never really book smart, but work smart.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Also private companies don't want you to share your salary with other employees as it allows the company to underpay. ...

Too funny. I always thought they didn't want me discussing my pay with my coworkers because

A: it was an agreement between the company and me. Nobody else's business. If I didn't like what I was getting paid, I could quit.

B: I was getting paid more than people that didn't do as much work as I did but complained about the work load an awful lot. 🤣

paulsharvey

Platinum Member
Tractor
L285
Too funny. I always thought they didn't want me discussing my pay with my coworkers because

A: it was an agreement between the company and me. Nobody else's business. If I didn't like what I was getting paid, I could quit.

B: I was getting paid more than people that didn't do as much work as I did but complained about the work load an awful lot.
I work for a private company, that does 99% of its work for a government agency. I work with the government guys way more then my company. The gov guys, its all open, what they make. On the private side, we make a bit more, but I don't tell anyone how much. Its less then some of them think. Im sure my company is billing me at 3x to 3.5x my salary.

I was put over 3 guys, that I technically supervise, but dont see and only talk to 4-5 times per year, unless there is something wrong. One of my guys actually makes a good $4/hr more then me per hour. Knowing what people make doesn't increase your happiness, it just frustrates you.

Edit: I used to work for a county, and make crap money, found out what the supervisor made (2 steps above me at the time) and it wasn't impressive. Convinced me that I didn't want to wait 15 years for him to die/retire to move up, and found greener grass else where.

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
One thing that might increase the chances of moving up.

Learn when ”then” is appropriate and when “than“ is the appropriate word. Diction matters as you move up.
manners matter also.

i interviewed for my "career" job at dinner. i had 2 degrees, lots of industry experience, totally self educated etc etc etc.

Found out later he was an orphan and appreciated my hard knocks stories, which were all true.

Long after i got my job he told me there were 2 other candidates who were more qualified but he hired me because of the way i treated the waitress. I reminded him i'd had every chit job on the planet and could relate to service people. i'd also worked for tips.

I had no clue but later I learned to pay very close attention to how some people treat service people, revealing.

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
They seem big on safety too. I had a job at the pickle factory. Got fired because I had my fingers in the pickle slicer. But, at least she got fired too.
I read that case; some facts were changed to protect the innocent. :rolleyes:

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Long after i got my job he told me there were 2 other candidates who were more qualified but he hired me because of the way i treated the waitress. I reminded him i'd had every chit job on the planet and could relate to service people. i'd also worked for tips.

I had no clue but later I learned to pay very close attention to how some people treat service people, revealing.
Have the laugh, the two best jobs I ever had was being a waiter and being a raft guide.

Things I learned...

Waitering- At least up North, I called every woman "Miss", NEVER "mam" as it implies age, and every male "Sir" as it implies respect. Treat all your customers with respect.

Waitering - ALWAYS keep the non alcoholic drinks topped off no matter how busy you are. The last thing a customer wants IMO is feeling thirsty or having a hot (and or spicy) meal and not have something to drink.

Raft guiding - At the end of the run after all the rapids are run floating back to the take out, give everyone the opportunity to try and guide the raft and sincerely try to help those who want to learn. It helps make up if you had to raise your voice to anyone during the day LOL and found on average always got a better tip when I let people try to guide the raft themselves.

Both jobs also taught me to enjoy what you do. When you hate your work, it's too much like a job and you're only working for money.

Thing is, when your with customers or potential customers on behalf of the company you get paid to represent, be respectful of everyone.

One time, on a Saturday I went to see someone to solve a problem. Problem was, I was dressed to "coomfortable" and the business I visited thought I was their customer LOL (I wasn't going to look "professional" on a Saturday LOL). Point being, no matter what a customer looks like, treat everyone the same, with respect.

Old addage "to get respect you have to give respect" has never been truer.

My only "look down rule" is when I take a client out to eat, no buffet because I'm buying LMAO.

tradosaurus

Veteran Member
Tractor

B: I was getting paid more than people that didn't do as much work as I did but complained about the work load an awful lot. 🤣
That's exactly how they want you to think. You might be underpaid for what you do.

tradosaurus

Veteran Member
Tractor
I kind of feel sorry for you.

I don't think I could ever work 8-5.
You'll work the hours to put food on your table and support your family.

Right now I'm teleworking and have a 4 day work week so I'm not complaining. I also know what everyone else is making. And yes, some people are making more money than they are worth but not my problem.

ROUSTABOUT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
I read that case; some facts were changed to protect the innocent. :rolleyes:
I stopped at a taco place. Mainly to pee, but if I go in somewhere I buy something because I used their facilities. But anyway, the bathroom was locked. I sat where I could see somebody leave out of it. The woman manager came out of The male bathroom. Smelled because she just smoked a joint in there. Pretty slick.

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
One old timer I worked with in the 90's had all these old country sayings. One was "don't take everybody to be your friend." Rewind to maybe '79 and working as a pizza delivery while in HS. When slow I would help in the kitchen. I hadn't learned that not everyone is your friend. Boss lady comes up to me one day and said this is your last day. We are getting slow and I heard you intend to go back to work for your dad in the summer. I knew right then someone had told the slightly older kid (butt-kisser) who was like a basic shift manager but really the boss lady called the shots since I think she owned the franchise. Dad had a concrete foundation business which paid better and was more rewarding.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080

Right now I'm teleworking and have a 4 day work week so I'm not complaining. I also know what everyone else is making. And yes, some people are making more money than they are worth but not my probDon't get married when you're young.
Find work you love to do and you'll never have just a job.

Find work you love to do before you marry someone for love, and then have kids.

We all have to make money to support ourselves somehow, that's a given.

I honestly have no clue what anyone else is making I work with because I don't care because I'm happy with what I'm making.

OP
Sigarms

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I knew right then someone had told the slightly older kid (butt-kisser) who was like a basic shift manager but really the boss lady called the shots since I think she owned the franchise.
The only person giving out information at work was yourself, and you only have yourself to blame. That said, doesn't sound like you lost any sleep over it ;)

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I was glad I learned that lesson early in life. Not everyone is your friend.

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172

Right now I'm teleworking and have a 4 day work week so I'm not complaining. I also know what everyone else is making. And yes, some people are making more money than they are worth but not my problem.
An old coal miner once told me that he quit because the mine was too dangerous...but "when the kids start gnawing the paint of the table legs, you know it's time to go back to work". In his case, he decided to go to work in a different mine, although it was in a different state. He said the day after he went back to work, the old mine blew up and killed a lot of miners. In those days, the widow got $100.

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST
My first experience with pay & supervising was late in high school. My dad had a couple of acres of field tomatoes he was done with as it had about played out. So I hired a couple of 15 year olds agreeing on $2/hour to pick while I sat in the shade grading and packing. At noon one had picked maybe 10 30# boxes and the other only 5 boxes. Hmmm, not good for my then underage beer fund. So after lunch I added an additional $1/box to the pay. So in the afternoon the first fellow picked 20 boxes and the second only 5 once again. I still see and tease them both about it 40+ years later.

Last edited:

BackRoad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000, MF 35
Mr. MossRoad nailed it.

It matters not what anyone else is being paid.

It's a simple formula which they don't teach in school...

It only matters that YOU provide more value to the business than what you are being paid.

It creates a good reputation and you'll always have an income or a job offer, whether working for yourself or someone else.

Step 2 is to constantly improve your skills and freely take on additional responsibility simply for the benefit of the experience.

The result is proven capability to provide increasing value over time, which expands opportunities and justifies increased income.

Now, how you save and invest that income is a whole different discussion!

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
My brother still says the best job he ever had was summer life guard for the park district… they had a lot of leeway for teens and it was understood have a great summer and make sure no one is injured… credited with saving a couple of people… heart attack, bee sting shock and one near drowning along with the cuts and bruises… he did that high school and college…

As a kid working for a car dealership was great since I am into cars… as soon as I got my license I could take any of the used cars home overnight and sold about 20 that first year… not bad for a gopher…

Weekend manager for auto parts not bad either for a teen.

Working in a Union Tool and Machine shop learned a lot but would never call it fun… always production schedules and deadlines… I was 21 so not a kid even though everyone called me the kid…

Each job provided very different work settings and very different opportunities.

Last edited:

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
At my current job, the hourly starting wage was posted in the job description. So was the incentive to complete training classes in a set time period to gain a posted increase in pay. After the 1st year, all raises are confidential, but based on some weird formula that, for example, if there are 5 of you in a group, your supervisor has to rank you 1-5. 1 gets the largest raise while 5 gets the least amount, and the amounts are in percentages. So the 5 guys get together and start yapping about what percentage increase they each got. It doesn't take long for all of them to know who got what percentage to figure out who got ranked higher. Then it starts causing issues with "I do more work than that guy."

When you have a person that's been there 30 years and they get a 1% increase in pay, and you have a person that's been there 2 years, and they get a 1.2% increase in pay, chances are pretty good that the 30 year guy still got a much larger $/hour increase than the 2 year guy, yet, for some reason, the 30 year guy complains that the 2 year guy got a higher percentage, when, in fact, the 30 year guy got more money.

I am not used to anyone thinking they know what I'm getting paid and when they come up to me and tell me they know what I'm getting paid and its X (and they're wrong), I just tell them that's between the company and me and none of their business.

At my last job, everyone that was hourly got paid the same after 2 years if you were doing the same job description. Didn't matter if you were there 2 years or 20. You were doing the same job, so you got paid the same.

Salaried positions were different, and those were confidential. I never minded not knowing what my salaried coworkers were making. It wasn't my business.

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
As a kid, best job I had was working as an administrative aid in a hospital blood bank. Paperwork galore and 5 steps to ensure the correct blood goes to the correct patient.

Physically delivering the blood units to the OR and checking numbers.

Billing.

Pretty busy most of the time.

MoKelly

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
My brother still says the best job he ever had was summer life guard for the park district… they had a lot of leeway for teens and it was understood have a great summer and make sure no one is injured… credited with saving a couple of people… heart attack, bee sting shock and one near drowning along with the cuts and bruises… he did that high school and college…

As a kid working for a car dealership was great since I am into cars… as soon as I got my license I could take any of the used cars home overnight and sold about 20 that first year… not bad for a gopher…

Weekend manager for auto parts not bad either for a teen.

Working in a Union Tool and Machine shop learned a lot but would never call it fun… always production schedules and deadlines… I was 21 so not a kid even though everyone called me the kid…

Each job provided very different work settings and very different opportunities.
I'll agree with your brother. I was a lifeguard for the city starting at age 15. Three month contract for $829.00 🤣 It went up every year. I stayed with it through high school and early college. Then I transferred to the newly opened east race man-made whitewater course for the same city and stayed with that into my first 2 years of marriage. That paid double minimum wage hourly. Great jobs! Lots of fun and sun, but lots of training and practice. You really had to concentrate when on duty and man, when there was an incident, your adrenaline went BOOM! It was also a team effort, so you had to count on your coworkers, and likewise, your coworkers had to feel safe relying on you. Especially in the whitewater. Someone could die quickly. It made for lasting bonds that endure 40+ years later.(y)

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
My government employed friends get really annoyed to see their name and pay published in the newspaper… it’s been a few years so maybe it has changed but online public safety pay info is readily available.

Same when they publish name and address for every concealed carry permit holder except politicians, public safety and court personnel..

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
My government employed friends get really annoyed to see their name and pay published in the newspaper… it’s been a few years so maybe it has changed but online public safety pay info is readily available.

Same when they publish name and address for every concealed carry permit holder except politicians, public safety and court personnel..

I guess it’s a good news/bad news scenario when all your compensation data must be published every year in the Proxy Statement.

MoKelly

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
Tractor
Is can lead to interesting discussions when a friend retires at 52 with 180k city pension and lifetime medical and goes to work for another agency starting at 139k base…