A kid gets terminated at work...

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
My one child (sophomore in high school) works for a pretty well know national "upscale" food chain.

I heard my wife talking with my kid, and she (wife) was laughing hysterically, so I was curious as to what was so funny.

A coworker a while ago (teenager as well) apparently brought pot/weed into the restaurant, didn't want it on him, didn't know what to do with it, so he put in a oven. Low and behold, either the oven was on or someone turned it on with the pot/weed still in the oven, and you can guess what happened...

Apparently that was only good for a write up....

Little while later, same kid who threw the pot/weed in the oven got caught in the bathroom smoking his stash with other some other co workers in the bathroom. Same story, everyone written up, no one terminated.

Well, the third strike that finally got the two peat offender fired was he overcharged a customer $1.50 on their invoice.

Break the law twice where you could actually be arrested, no problem, keep your job. Make a simple mistake which anyone with a bad day could do, and that's the final straw?

Have to give my kid credit, already applying for other jobs to find something better.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #2  
I'm amazed everyday at what this world is coming to

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #3  
Would you have been happier if the business owner got the police involved? Like they say... give some people enough rope and they hang themselves. I'm not so sure I would have been so nice to give them at least 3 strikes... bet there were more.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #4  
My one child (sophomore in high school) works for a pretty well know national "upscale" food chain.

I heard my wife talking with my kid, and she (wife) was laughing hysterically, so I was curious as to what was so funny.

A coworker a while ago (teenager as well) apparently brought pot/weed into the restaurant, didn't want it on him, didn't know what to do with it, so he put in a oven. Low and behold, either the oven was on or someone turned it on with the pot/weed still in the oven, and you can guess what happened...

Apparently that was only good for a write up....

Little while later, same kid who threw the pot/weed in the oven got caught in the bathroom smoking his stash with other some other co workers in the bathroom. Same story, everyone written up, no one terminated.

Well, the third strike that finally got the two peat offender fired was he overcharged a customer $1.50 on their invoice.

Break the law twice where you could actually be arrested, no problem, keep your job. Make a simple mistake which anyone with a bad day could do, and that's the final straw?

Have to give my kid credit, already applying for other jobs to find something better.

At my place of work, occasionally people get into major trouble and are put on a last chance agreement. This means that any issue after the agreement is made could mean termination. Our shop is a union shop though, and I would have a hard time believing that sort of agreement being made without a union being involved. That being said, the guy you are describing would have been canned at our facility after the first offense.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #5  
Hey it's hard to find good help. Today it's hard to find any help. Too many would rather smoke weed and play video games at home.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #6  
You need a bunch of documentation to fire people these days. It is ridiculous. I’m just glad the idiot didn’t blow up the kitchen and a bunch of employees with it.

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
At my place of work, occasionally people get into major trouble and are put on a last chance agreement. This means that any issue after the agreement is made could mean termination. Our shop is a union shop though, and I would have a hard time believing that sort of agreement being made without a union being involved. That being said, the guy you are describing would have been canned at our facility after the first offense.
NC labor laws are very different than what they are for up North.

My home office is way north of here. We had a guy we wanted to terminate here, but the home office wouldn't let us because they we're going by their state labor laws, not ours.

In NC, you can pretty much be fired for anything.

I always get right to work vs at will mixed up, but long story short, in NC, you're on the short end of a stick as an employee.

Last edited:
   / A kid gets terminated at work... #8  
You need a bunch of documentation to fire people these days. It is ridiculous. I’m just glad the idiot didn’t blow up the kitchen and a bunch of employees with it.
You don't need anything specific to fire a non union worker in NC. No cause or justification needed, want somebody gone; terminate them.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #9  
I pray the kid gets things figured out before getting in real trouble.

Pay low wages get low quality workers(most of the time).

When I hear people say they can find quality employees I think it means "I'm not willing to pay for quality employees"(most of the time).

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #10  
I was an employer for decades. We had good hiring practices and attracted intelligent, productive and hard working employees who were rewarded well and enjoyed their jobs. But every once in a while, a bad apple slipped in.

What I can say from experience is if you hear a sob story about how an employee was unfairly terminated, you likely don't know the whole story. Our labor law attorney advised me, and senior management, to say or reveal *nothing* if an employee was warned or disciplined, say or reveal *nothing* even in response to problem employees who would spread falsehoods about being "mistreated."

The result was one-sided. We would know of a problem employee repeatedly violating policies or misbehaving, but their fellow co-workers often knew nothing of it. If it led to termination, the problem employee could whine about unfairness and get a lot of sympathy from others-- because most of their misdeeds were never known. One employee was caught red-handed stealing an item valued over $1,000. None of his fellow employees ever knew he was caught and disciplined. This particular employee was in a "protected class" (such as minority, or over age 40) so we have to be very very careful about doing a termination. When this same employee was involved in another incident and was fired, he caused a lot of upset with others about his "horrible manager," his mistreatment, and discrimination.

Needless to say, I have little sympathy when I learn of an employee termination. Because I know from experience that there is usually much more to the story that never comes out.