A ZD323 has joined the fleet

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet #1  

Monster5601

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 R4 Tires
After a lot of research I chose the ZD323 as the new mower. My original intention was to put a belly mower on the B3030 but realize that I didn't want to tie up the tractor for mowing duty. I bought from my favorite local Kubota dealer and as usual, I found his advice to be on the mark. He wanted to be sure both my wife and I would like the mower so he delivered it, told me to use it before I made a decision.

What I had trouble with was which of the three engines I should choose. Seems from reading on the Internet the 26HP was the most popular. My dealer suggested the 23HP model based on my needs which were the ability to cut tall wet grass. He told me the 26HP was designed to be used with the grass bagger and the bigger one with the 72 inch mowing deck.

When they delivered it, it was drizzling and had been raining for the past three plus months so the grass was wet and tall, just under knee height. I gave it a test and without issue, the 323 mowed right through the tall wet grass.

With the speed that the mower cuts I figure our mowing time will be cut down to about three hours. My wife got on it and didn't have any problems navigating the mower even through it was her first time on a ZT.

Attachments

• P1010370.jpg
    P1010370.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 935
  • P1010371.jpg
    P1010371.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 717
   / A ZD323 has joined the fleet #2  
I just added a ZD326 to my fleet too! Overall, we are very pleased. Some observations from the first 2 hours of operation:

- It is going to take some time for us to get 100% accustomed to ZTR controls versus the simple steering wheel of our B7610.
- You need to be very carefull when going down a steep hill, once she gets moving down a hill she doesn't want to stop!
- Its kinda funny that the ZD326 has a drink holder but our B7610 does not. I don't see myself drinking when operating the ZD326!
- This unit is soooo fast compared with my B7610!
- Much, much better clipping dispersal compared with B7610.
- The ZD326 is very comfortable. Our yard is not perfect and I think we made the right decision to get the Kubota versus a Ferris (with suspension).
- When mowing, I notice (at times) an oscillating whine/roar coming from the deck. I never noticed this with the B7610.
- The hydraulic deck lift is almost too fast. It "crashes" the deck into the underside of the frame. I need to see if there is an adjustment.
- The deck definitely has a greater tendency to scalp versus the 60" belly mower for my B7610. The B7610 belly mower continuously runs on the ground. I think the main difference is that the ZD326 deck is suspended. The scalping is most obvious when mowing on an incline (across slope). I will be adjusting the anti-scalp wheels and locking the front axle to see if I can reduce the scalping.
- I am surprised that Kubota specifically prefers that slopes be mowed "across" versus "up and down". I guess this machine has a lower center of gravity versus the B7610.
- I think it is odd that Kubota wants the right tank to be used first, yet the fuel gauge is for the left tank. There are very specific about this in the manual. The right tank only has a low fuel lamp. If the right fuel tank was to be used first, I would have thought it would have had the gauge versus the alarm lamp.
- The left fuel gauge is very jumpy and responds immediately to the diesel sloshing around. The B7610 fuel gauge is much slower in responding and more similiar to an auto's fuel gauge.

I am curious if you have similiar observations.

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet
My wife took right off with the ZT controls, first time for her. The controls are well done and give very good control.
We are flat landers, no hills.
The drink holders are worthless if you have a carbonated beverage.
The deck does lift and drop quickly but scalping is minimal after adjusting the rollers per the manual. I have the 60" deck.
I'm still working on the fuel tank methodology, even my dealer wonders what they were thinking.
My fuel gauge doesn't work. Looks like the gauge movement has internal bindings. Also, the right fuel tank cap allows diesel to seep out while running the machine.

Since my ZD323 isn't mine yet because my dealer insisted on me and the wife trying before buying, I'll stop by the dealer on the way home and sign the papers and tell him about the seepage and the fuel gauge. We are coming from one of those Home Depot made by John Deere for Scotts, two cylinder, non-forced lubrication, air cooled lawn mowers with a 54" deck. There is no comparison, the ZD323 is staying if for no other reason than it can cut twice as fast and it is a diesel.

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet #4  
You won't be disappointed with your selection. It is a great machine. I have owned the same mower for 2 years now, with no problems at all. I traded a JD 345 in on the machine.
Good luck!

Mo2cyl

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet #6  
Congrats! I plan on testing out the rear discharge zd326 in 60" ASAP. I'm hoping this week or next.

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet #7  
Congratulations on getting your ZD323. I think you will love it ! I traded my JD 455 in when I bought mine and while the 455 was a good machine, just no comparison to this beast.

I've had mine about two years with zero problems, and it cuts great whether it's wet or dry. I guess I was lucky when mine was set up by the dealer as I haven't had any issue with scalping.

The fuel gauge is something I wish they would change. Either have it draw fuel from both tanks at the same time or put a gauge on the panel for both tanks. Shouldn't be that hard for them to do, and I'm not too fond of the blinking fuel light either.

Enjoy your new ride.

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet #8  
Congratulations on getting your ZD323. I think you will love it ! I traded my JD 455 in when I bought mine and while the 455 was a good machine, just no comparison to this beast.

I've had mine about two years with zero problems, and it cuts great whether it's wet or dry. I guess I was lucky when mine was set up by the dealer as I haven't had any issue with scalping.

The fuel gauge is something I wish they would change. Either have it draw fuel from both tanks at the same time or put a gauge on the panel for both tanks. Shouldn't be that hard for them to do, and I'm not too fond of the blinking fuel light either.

Enjoy your new ride.

All they need is a switch on the gauge, so it was used with either tank, and lose the rh tank light. I consider this really dumb on a otherwise great machine. Have moved to Illinois and my cutting time is 5+ hours now. Once I get settled down...I'm going to check to see if I can mod the fuel gauge that way. BTW, I have not noticed my fuel gauge bouncing around.

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet #9  
Regarding scalping, I adjusted the anti-scalp rollers this evening. Better, but I still can see "ridges" when I mow across a slope.

The next step is to lock the front axle in place instead of letting it pivot. Do you guys mow with front axle fixed or do you allow it to pivot? Somewhere I remember reading that cut is better with axle locked but ride will not be as smooth.

Since this is a floating deck, is it reasonable for me to feel that there should not be ridges when mowing across (not up and down) a slope? Maybe I am too accustomed to the ground contact deck on my B7610 tractor?

/ A ZD323 has joined the fleet #10  
Congrats on the new ZD323. Had my ZD331 about 4 years (I think), no problems, tons of power. 72" deck does scalp, but small price to pay when cutting about 5 acres. Only problem with increased horsepower, OEM blades get beat up fast. I recommend Gator fusion blades. These hold up way better, for me anyway.
All in all, great machine. Hope you are as happy with yours as I have been with mine.