A1700 engine sounds terrible, anyone experience this

/ A1700 engine sounds terrible, anyone experience this #1  

Bama67

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520H
I have a Branson 4015H with just 62 hours, I bought it in Aug 2018 and it only gets used sporadically, otherwise kept in my shop.

My engine is the most rough, course sounding diesel I have ever heard.

My last tractor, a Bobcat CT440, (Kioti DK40SE) was smooth as could be.

My engine has gotten progressively louder and rattley, and this worries me.
I also cannot tell exactly where in the engine it is coming from.

Just wondering if everyones Kukje A1700 engine is also loud and rough sounding.

/ A1700 engine sounds terrible, anyone experience this #2  
What you are seeing is not common. Without being there, it is tough to offer a valid opinion. But a few things to consider; With that few hours in 3 years, I wonder if the injectors might be getting clogged from lack of use? I'd try putting some injector cleaner in it and running the heck out of it for a while to see if it clears up. Also, if you are just using the tractor for a few minutes at a time or without a load when you use it, I'd worry that the DOC/DPF might be clogging. Does your DPF warning light come on? Or it might be the quality of your fuel. Has it became contaminated somehow? In any case, I'd run the heck out of it for a while to see if it clears itself up.

/ A1700 engine sounds terrible, anyone experience this
I make it a point not to run at low RPM. Typically it only get used for loader work or snow plowing.
When I use it I usually run the throttle up to 2000-2400 rpm.
I don't think the fuel would be contaminated, it is stored inside and recently got a fresh tank of fuel and it's no different.

I wonder if there might be an injector issue because I wonder if I am getting full power.
The only really usable range I can use is A, the lowest.
In B (midrange) the tractor powers out just trying to drive up my driveway.
Can only use High range if I am going downhill. It can barely get rolling on flat ground.

/ A1700 engine sounds terrible, anyone experience this #4  
Doesn't sound normal to me at all. Especially the lack of power. I too think it's fuel related, 62 hrs in 3 years. Pull and inspect the fuel filter.

If nothing else, you should still be well within warranty, I'd take it to the dealer if you can't find the root cause.