Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #1  

RidgeTopWVA

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400
I have an aluminum wheel on my car with a deep scuff/abrasion and I am looking for suggestions or ideas of how to remove it.
Thank you
See the attatched photo please

Attachments

• 1238.jpeg
    1238.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 53
   / Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #2  
Remove it? Um, I don't think you're going to remove that scrape... if you're lucky you can make it look good from 5 feet away or more. Alloy wheel curb scrapes are pretty permanent, in my experience. On painted wheels you have the easy option for paint touch up work. But polished aluminum can't be machined back to a brand new condition.

Search google or google maps for wheel repair shops in your area. A phone call or email exchange with your photo should get you educated on what options are really available for ya. Is it an OEM wheel, or aftermarket? Might be cheapest to just buy another one, if it really bothers you that much.

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #3  
Following. Most of these wheels also have clear coat.
Mine are oxidixed a bit under the clearcoat and looks ugly.

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #4  
There are speciality shops that fix that but I don’t know where or who. I also expect it’s expensive.

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #5  
I would just clean it up a bit with a file or knife and get some touch up clear coat. If the wheel is painted...try to match the silver paint first, then clear it.

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel #6  
You can use some sort of powered abrasive tool but you would need to be careful not to remove too much material. Some wheels have clear coat on them so any repair that blends in the damage is going to remove more clear coat. If the wheel is clear coated then you will need to repair the clear coat too. I don't know how easy this can be done. To me the damage looks pretty deep. If the wheel is not clear coated then after the damage is blended in as well as possible the wheel could be spun with the engine and then the damage could be further blended in using some sort of abrasive paper or sponge or Scotch Brite type abrasive. About 8 years ago one of my aluminum rims cracked. I tried to find a new replacement but it was apparently a "special" for my particular model of car and was not available. However, a web search turned up a DOL page about welding aluminum rims that had cracked. The page was quite detailed about where a crack could be and welded safely. It turned out my wheel was cracked in the safe zone so I welded it up. The damage on your wheel is in the safe zone so it could be welded up safely by a qualified welder. In the Seattle area there are several places that will weld damaged aluminum wheels so maybe yours could be welded up where you live. Or maybe you, like me, can TIG weld well enough to safely weld on your wheel.
Eric

/ Abrasion removal on Aluminum Wheel
There are speciality shops that fix that but I don’t know where or who. I also expect it’s expensive.
I appreciate your suggestions.

You can use some sort of powered abrasive tool but you would need to be careful not to remove too much material. Some wheels have clear coat on them so any repair that blends in the damage is going to remove more clear coat. If the wheel is clear coated then you will need to repair the clear coat too. I don't know how easy this can be done. To me the damage looks pretty deep. If the wheel is not clear coated then after the damage is blended in as well as possible the wheel could be spun with the engine and then the damage could be further blended in using some sort of abrasive paper or sponge or Scotch Brite type abrasive. About 8 years ago one of my aluminum rims cracked. I tried to find a new replacement but it was apparently a "special" for my particular model of car and was not available. However, a web search turned up a DOL page about welding aluminum rims that had cracked. The page was quite detailed about where a crack could be and welded safely. It turned out my wheel was cracked in the safe zone so I welded it up. The damage on your wheel is in the safe zone so it could be welded up safely by a qualified welder. In the Seattle area there are several places that will weld damaged aluminum wheels so maybe yours could be welded up where you live. Or maybe you, like me, can TIG weld well enough to safely weld on your wheel.
Eric
Thank you Eric , I appreciat that.
This an AMG rim

I would just clean it up a bit with a file or knife and get some touch up clear coat. If the wheel is painted...try to match the silver paint first, then clear it.
Thank you

Remove it? Um, I don't think you're going to remove that scrape... if you're lucky you can make it look good from 5 feet away or more. Alloy wheel curb scrapes are pretty permanent, in my experience. On painted wheels you have the easy option for paint touch up work. But polished aluminum can't be machined back to a brand new condition.

Search google or google maps for wheel repair shops in your area. A phone call or email exchange with your photo should get you educated on what options are really available for ya. Is it an OEM wheel, or aftermarket? Might be cheapest to just buy another one, if it really bothers you that much.

It is an OEM on an SL600 AGM rim