Actual lift capacity mx 5400

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #51  
No in my weighing experiment I didn't weigh just the rear tires because I was concentrating on how much weight rear counterbalance would relieve from frt axle when unloading rd bales from a trailer
That's what I thought.

While a 50/50 weight split is fine....even 60f/40r is even fine. Given the axle sizes and what abuse they can handle day in and day out.....I'd much rather have 40f/60r.

Having too much rear axle weight is rarely a concern. So I'd rather err on the side of too much ballast vs not enough.

Again....a hay Bale out back and one out front is just fine. Because you are no where close to what your loader is actually capable of.

I don't remember if you have loaded rears or not....but I'd wager a bet that only 1000# on the back and no tire fluid.....dig into a pile of dirt where you can max your loader out and the wrong end of the machine is what will raise

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #52  
My M7040 has loaded rear tires & cast rear wheel centers.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #53  
Hey everybody, great forum with a lot of knowledge. I have a Kubota MX5400 on order, I will have a 3rd function installed and am looking for a grapple to haul logs, larger rocks, clean-up etc. The tractor will have beet juice loaded in the tires. I was wondering how heavy of a grapple that I should get. i was looking a an MTD with 4 inch spacing. I just want to be able to still lift a lot of weight and was wondering with the loaded tires if that will increase the loader lifting capacity. I am considering a lighter grapple but was not sure if it is worth the trade off for extra weight vs. durability. Thank you all for the replies.
I have BH 92 it’s about 2k with 2ft tooth bucket on it.Didn’t load tires because of BH and run tractor around house and yard !! When BH is off I have a ballast box Cat II with 11 80lb bags of concrete weighs around 1,270lbs it’s QH ready I can hook it up or take off in seconds !!! Titian Attments 7.2 cu ft Cat II box QH compatible weighs 190 lbs empty.

Last edited:
   / Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #54  
It's been stated here previously but bears repeating. Keeping a load low has two distinct advantages.

- safety - low means the load won't have to be "dropped/lowered" so far to return the tractor to a stable position. Low means a tractor will not have to "tip" far until the load is grounded.

- load - the lower the load, the more your FEL/grapple can lift.

With a load that hole/depression that you use to just roll thru can become a life threatening event. NEVER travel with ANY load raised high. GO LOW and only raise when you have reached your goal.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #55  
I have BH 92 it’s about 2k with 2ft tooth bucket on it.Didn’t load tires because of BH and run tractor around house and yard !! When BH is off I have a ballast box Cat II with 11 80lb bags of concrete weighs around 1700 lbs it’s QH ready I can hook it up or take off in seconds !!!
How does 880# concrete make a 1700# ballast box? Built outta 1" thick steel plate?

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #56  
That's gotta be one BIG ballast box to get 11 sacks of dry concrete inside.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #57  
How does 880# concrete make a 1700# ballast box? Built outta 1" thick steel plate?
I apologize for not proof reading should have been 1,270lbs with concrete and weight of box is 190 lbs. Box came from Titian attachments large 7.2 cu ft box.I believe cured concrete is about 150lbs per cubic foot. Again apologize for bad info I advocate against it here I am doing it !!

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #58  
That's gotta be one BIG ballast box to get 11 sacks of dry concrete inside.
Titian Attachments where I purchased it. When bh 92 is off and I need ballast it works well and is QH compatible.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #59  
At 1270# that's still a lot of weight - Cranblue.

markmx5400 -
As far as weight on the 3-point. I have 80 acres and VERY FEW spots are what I would consider "tight". Those few spots that are tight - places where I will never be taking the tractor anyhow.

I choose to have a heavy rear blade for added counter weight. A ballast box does nothing for me. The rear blade provides needed counter weight and is used extensively on the property.

I would put something on the 3-point. If you will be doing heavy lifting - you will need it.

/ Actual lift capacity mx 5400 #60  
At 1270# that's still a lot of weight - Cranblue.

markmx5400 -
As far as weight on the 3-point. I have 80 acres and VERY FEW spots are what I would consider "tight". Those few spots that are tight - places where I will never be taking the tractor anyhow.

I choose to have a heavy rear blade for added counter weight. A ballast box does nothing for me. The rear blade provides needed counter weight and is used extensively on the property.

I would put something on the 3-point. If you will be doing heavy lifting - you will need it.
I agree. I bought a 1000# heavy rear blade for my MX. My tires are also filled for another 1000# of ballast. The blade is useful; a ballast box isn’t.