Add a chain hook to grapple lid

/ Add a chain hook to grapple lid #1  

sd455dan

Tractor
Rhino 554, Ford 550 TLB (JD X500, MTD, Gilson riding mowers) Ford 3000-Sold
Been wanting to add this for a while, Probably would not do it to a new grapple with a warranty...
But this is an old well used grapple and have many times needed a hook in the middle for small lifting jobs, especially since the open tines make it easy for a chain to slip around or completely off.

I probably should have mig welded this but wanted to try some more practice at stick welding with my inverter welder and just went ahead with stick except for the small tacks.

So here goes
rhino grapple mod.jpg next cutting a support out of some old plate:Rhino grapple mod 2.jpg

Then fitting the new support:Rhino grapple mod  fitting plate.jpg and tacking:rhino grapple mod tack.jpg

Here's were things went a little wrong, probably should have used a smaller rod like 3/32 instead of 1/8 7018 or just migged it and done a better job of metal prep. Would have helped to just open the grapple all the way prior to the main horizontal weld to keep it in the flat position:duh:
i do need more practice with stick, Rhino grapple mod 8.jpg there was some under cutting on the round bar and lots of splatter.

Will do some clean up grinding and add some black paint to keep rust to a minimum, but the grapple lid does have a chain hook

Last edited:
   / Add a chain hook to grapple lid #2  
Nice work!!!!

I've never had a need for a hook on my Grapple. Post some pics in use when ya can!!!!

/ Add a chain hook to grapple lid
Well that's my problem:laughing:The darn Grapple is so handy I like to leave it on the tractor most of the time- and sometimes can't or don't want to grab the item to be lifted/ moved.

a couple uses that it would have been nice to have had this hook when the grapple was already on the tractor

Riding mower quit in my elderly mothers yard and needed to lift it over the fence
Horse tubs and water tanks- again over the fence.

Last edited:
   / Add a chain hook to grapple lid #4  
I understand that. My Grapple is on 90% of the time. I built mine on a Bobcat Lo Pro bucket so can carry loose material as well as Grapple. Only time it comes off is if using a Tree Puller.

/ Add a chain hook to grapple lid
Well i did some fence clearing today- where a tree had taken out a fence and the new hook was basically USELESS...

Broke the chainsaw -:ashamed: special aluminum muffler bolt fell out for the second time,- Love paying Husky $ 4.00 for 1 aluminum special thread bolt...

Headed in and the wife pops in after horse feeding saying the larger tank is empty??

I tell her that's impossible- cuss I just filled it day before yesterday. She says needs filled Now.

Head over to the barn and sure enough tank is empty, grabbed a smaller spare and put the new hook to use since horses are still in the run outs. Set small non leaker tank down leaky tank ready for lift (2).jpg
Hook up chain and open grapple lifting leaky tank almost to bottom of tines leaky tank.jpg
Up and over fence leaking tank over fence.jpg

Lower the boom and then reset chain and open the grapple up to where it holds the tank stationary against the tines.
leaky tank held tight.jpg

Over to the pressure washer to blast the tank- and find the leak.
leaking horse tank.jpg

Didn't have to move the horses, and other than filling my shoes with horse s--- the new chain hook came in handy for a leaky tank

Last edited:
   / Add a chain hook to grapple lid #6  
Nice!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!!