Add foot switch to 2555 PTO ....

/ Add foot switch to 2555 PTO .... #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
I sometimes have to turn my PTO on/off when blowing around my barn to keep the snow from just going onto the barn roof. The 2555 dash PTO button is a pain. I wanted to find something to add to my joystick, but was not happy with the options unless I wanted to spend big buckazoids for some type of custom knob. So I added a floor dimmer switch [ used a VW one ] to the plate in the center of the floorboard right to the right of the brake pedals. Put a super bright red LED on it to get my attention. And hacked into the brown wire near the firewall bulkhead connectors to interrupt the PTO. I wrapped everything back up after taking the firewall picture, so do not have a cow. Not for the faint at heart, but I did the same thing to my old ZTR to shut the blades off. In the third picture, the OEM PTO light is on and the PTO is energized. In the fourth, the OEM PTO light is still on, but now the foot switch is open shutting off the PTO and the LED is lit across the open foot switch. Now I have to finish assembling the dash and cleaning up my mess.....

Attachments

• IMG_0726 (Large).jpeg
    IMG_0726 (Large).jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0728 (Large).jpeg
    IMG_0728 (Large).jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0730 (Large).jpeg
    IMG_0730 (Large).jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0731 (Large).jpeg
    IMG_0731 (Large).jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 85
   / Add foot switch to 2555 PTO .... #3  
Can you engage your blower without throttling down your engine? If I engage mine at anything above idle I blow a shear pin.

/ Add foot switch to 2555 PTO .... #4  
Nice fix to a problem.

....but I'm also curious as to why you "have to turn my PTO on/off when blowing around my barn to keep the snow from just going onto the barn roof."?

With my garden tractor with snowblower tractor (w/ electric "slamma-jamma" pto clutch), I do everything I can to turn it on/off as few times as possible.

/ Add foot switch to 2555 PTO ....
Can you engage your blower without throttling down your engine? If I engage mine at anything above idle I blow a shear pin.

I think 5035 and 2555 have accumulators on the PTO hyd circuit that take the pop out of engaging them. Have not broken a shear pin [ geez, this is like talking about not having a flat tire since... ] in a couple years. I use my front blower like a box blade sometimes when the wind would just blow the snow onto the barn roof. Get it past the problem area then engage the PTO. The 2555 does not even snort much when I do that. If you packed it full of super wet snow, it might complain. But I do not remember having that problem, either. Have to lean way forward to reach the OEM dash PTO control.

/ Add foot switch to 2555 PTO ....
Nice fix to a problem.

....but I'm also curious as to why you "have to turn my PTO on/off when blowing around my barn to keep the snow from just going onto the barn roof."?

With my garden tractor with snowblower tractor (w/ electric "slamma-jamma" pto clutch), I do everything I can to turn it on/off as few times as possible.

I clear a large area in front and rear of my barn. Being in close to the building, and again, depending on the wind direction, type of snow, etc.... lot of times I just push it the 40 feet then crank on the blower at the end to clear it. Back up, and do a pass out farther. My house is on one side a little forward of the barn, and I do not want to add snow depth to it.... which I have to shovel off. So it just works out better some snows, to use the blower some as a box blade in some areas. Usually have to clean up what falls off the sides of the blower/box blade, it will only hold so much inside then it spills it to the side. But that's what I do.