Added an electrical actuator to my snow blower chute deflector.

/ Added an electrical actuator to my snow blower chute deflector. #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
Not much but I added this electric actuator I got from Amazon to adjust the chute's deflector. No more leaving the tractor to adjust it :) Used a scrap piece of metal (1/8" thick) to extend the actuator so it reaches the holes of the original deflector's adjustment rod. Switch to control the actuator is also from Amazon.

1635635235580.png

/ Added an electrical actuator to my snow blower chute deflector. #3  
Nice mod! Good point about flipping it around.

/ Added an electrical actuator to my snow blower chute deflector.
pretty similar to my install. I have read, you want the arm down and the motor on top, due to water intrusion. Good luck!
Good idea. The actuator is IP54 which should protect it from rain but adding another layer of protection doesn't hurt.

Well, turns out that actuator is not as water resistant as it was said to be, even pointing upside down :mad: It wouldn't move until I thaw it inside. I'll see if I covering it from the element is enough to keep it moving, otherwise I guess I'll have to disconnect it and bring it inside after each use.

/ Added an electrical actuator to my snow blower chute deflector. #6  
Well, turns out that actuator is not as water resistant as it was said to be, even pointing upside down :mad: It wouldn't move until I thaw it inside. I'll see if I covering it from the element is enough to keep it moving, otherwise I guess I'll have to disconnect it and bring it inside after each use.
Could it still be wet inside? My guess would be that once moisture gets in there it takes quite some time to dry out. Maybe remove it, take it inside and lay it on a hot air register in the house till the next time you need to blow snow. Just my 2 cents. 😏

/ Added an electrical actuator to my snow blower chute deflector. #7  
I would try to fashion some sort of bellows for the actuator rod so water can run down the rod into the housing. Maybe even give it a coat of some kind of spray sealant to seal up the gearbox end.

That's what I did. It thawed and it's working again. I'm going to leave it inside fully extended until it's time to use it again.

I would try to fashion some sort of bellows for the actuator rod so water can run down the rod into the housing. Maybe even give it a coat of some kind of spray sealant to seal up the gearbox end.
It's pointing down (i.e the cylinder is higher than the rod). I think only humidity can get in but who knows. I'll leave it inside for now.

/ Added an electrical actuator to my snow blower chute deflector. #10  
I'm toying with the idea of copying your solution for adjusting the top chute from the operators seat. Does your actuator still freeze up after you blow out your drive? I use an electric window motor from a parts vehicle I had handy to swing the chute to either side - made necessary when I built a snowcab for my machine. The crank system would have been a major inconvenience. If I could aim the top chute down more when shooting against wind or driving into the wind, maybe I could avoid buildup of snow on the windshield. I don't have a wiper on there.