Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with.

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #1  

roygage

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota L3000DT
Looking for another use for our home-built and snow blade we hung an old axle, after we shortened it two feet, to aid in pushing cars and trucks into our auto repair shop. With 15 lbs. pressure it is a pretty soft touch, no vehicle damage to date. Very quick to get on and off.

Attachments

• new pusher setup.jpg
    new pusher setup.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 304
   / Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #2  
That's a cool setup!
I had to push my wife's car 100 yards up a snow covered hill several years back to get her home. Unfortunately I just had the bucket to push with and it left a small crease in her van.
I should really have some other method, because there seems to be previous few places to hook chains to on modern cars.

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #3  
Really great idea!!

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #4  
Looks nice;
I have used dismounted tires several times as a cushion for pushing hang them down flat between the pushing and pushed vehicle,
also have used them as a cushion when towing with a chain from the towed vehicle to the tire and then a second chain from the tire to the towing vehicle.

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #6  
How about stuffing one or two innertubes in an old duffle bag and then inflate just enough to use as a pillow between pusher and pushee? Less likely to damage plastic bumpers I'm guessing.

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #7  
Sorry, I like your setup, but concur. It takes very little to damage the plastic (especially when cold) on modern vehicles. You hardly dare push them by hand for fear of something getting pushed in.

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #8  
Old days we just used an old tire, no rim.

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #9  
Yeah, if those tires can turn, they'll burn holes in plastic bumpers. Not too good for chrome bumpers either if they can pick up dirt/grit.

If you plan on doing this often, I'd carry a strap to PULL vehicles as mentioned above. And use the tow hooks provided on most cars. Today's cars have thin plastic over styrofoam for bumper covers--Not made for pushing.

/ Adding an axle and a couple of tires to your snow blade to push vehicles with. #10  
What happened to the good old days when we just pushed bumper to bumper? :)