Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging #1  

Sniggle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota B7800 (new to me @ 435 hours
I have found the quarter inching valve works well digging post holes. It allows for a slow descent into the hole (unless the auger decides it wants to visit China) and makes it easy to line up/drop the auger on the spot marketed for the whole on uneven ground.

I can see how for fine grading it is not the best, but for my rough grading work on a new horse pasture (3 acres) I mostly just dropped the attachment (box blade or rake) on the ground and went. The results may not be perfectly level, but I can comfortably cut the pasture now with my G1900.

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging #2  
Yet another happy B7800 owner.

Best Wishes:D

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging #3  
For all up or all down applications such as a PHD, there is no advantage to position control.

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging #4  
I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the 1/4 inching feature??:confused:

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging
I still haven't been able to figure out how to use the 1/4 inching feature??:confused:

When you want to raise or lower something slowly, you just operate the 3-point hitch lever within the range defined by shorter set of stops ( seat side of lever groove I think, although not on my tractor right now). Works real nice when positioning a PHD.

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging #6  
I didn't think my B7800 HAD a 1/4 inching valve.

Sure it has a valve thing under the seat that lets me control the drop or lift speed but it's not the same 1/4inching doodad like the B3030 has.

You guys sure you have 1/4inching valves on B7800's ?

Mine is a 2007 model, only have about 90 hours on her and I have dug well over 100 post holes and there ain't no quarter-inch thing, unless I'm stupid...that's a possibility. :)

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging #7  
What Kubotas come with the 1/4 inch valve installed? I'm not sure if my BX24 has it or not.

/ Advantage Quarter Inching Valve - Post hole digging
I didn't think my B7800 HAD a 1/4 inching valve.

I have dug well over 100 post holes and there ain't no quarter-inch thing, unless I'm stupid...that's a possibility. :)

The quarter inching valve is just a valve that operates at a very slow, consistent speed when opened half way (or there abouts). If you look at the slot where your 3 point hitch control handle is you will see that there are a set of mid stops built into one side. If you pull the handle to those mid stops, the three point hitch will raise or drop very slowly. If you push the handle to the end of the slot on either side, the 3 point hitch will raise or drop very quickley. The handle is installed such that if you gently move it to the up or down position it will tend to find the quarter inching stops.

Position control is more sophisticated and better for a number of application, but when your not grading to exact level, the less sophisticated 3 point hitch control functions well.