Buying Advice Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters")

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #1  

Chris616

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
Please excuse the long post (my first on TBN), but more info will be useful since I'm asking for advice.

I've been using TBN and other Internet resources to research a solution to my mowing needs, so thought it time to ask for input from people with more experience (I've read many of the TBN threads with "slope" or "hill" in the title but have found very little discussion of one of the only two options that seem viable to me "ride-on brushcutters" (see below)).

Background - My wife and I have a ten acre property where we have lived for four years (mostly urban dwellers before that), of which I cut only about two acres of grass (but there are plenty of weeds and other vegetation - this is not a lawn). There are gardens, firewood stacks, compost bins, buildings, streams and other obstacles to mow around. I cut around the 25 trees in an orchard. There is no area large enough to have someone come in with big equipment to cut and bale as hay (I've asked the only local contractor). In our Mediterranean climate it usually rains little during the summer, so leaving the grass uncut, dry and three feet tall is a fire hazard (and unsightly, as far as my wife is concerned). The first year here I cut everything just once late in the summer, but the hay laying around caused mold underneath and didn't look very good. The next year I did that and my wife and I raked the hay by hand and piled it, providing some amusement for folks travelling by on the road, no doubt. This year my goal is to cut just often enough that the cut grass breaks down on its own. Little of the area that I cut is level and none of it is as smooth as an urban lawn. Most has a slope of 20 degrees or less, but it goes all the way up to 30 degrees.

In our first summer on the property I rented a walk-behind brushcutter and it worked well enough that I bought a 18 HP DR Power Equipment version. It is a beast that goes through anything that I've tried, but it weighs over twice what I do so it gets tiring to maneuver and it can't handle the steepest slopes safely. With its manual gear selection it's tedious for back and forth in the orchard and for changing speed as the ground roughness changes. With a 26 cut width it takes more than eight hours to mow that modest two acres (I'm fit and not taking it easy). Now that I've hit and cleared all the hidden obstacles I'm comfortable buying a more expensive tool that will be easier to use and hopefully faster.

It seems to me that the best solution from the perspective of operator safety and comfort is to separate the user from the tool, but it will be awhile before radio controlled technology like the following becomes inexpensive enough to be a viable option for personal use (the "cheaper" machine that appears at 2:30 in the following video is about US$45K). There are dozens of manufacturers producing RC mowers. How long before the prices drop? Hmmm.
Alamo Industrial: RidgeRunner™ [HD] - YouTube

The North American riding mower market seems to be dominated by zero-turns, "garden tractors", front mount mowers and compact utility tractors, none of which, from my research, can be safely operated on the kind of terrain that I have with the level of experience that I have (I have read that many of you experienced operators mow slopes this steep). My primary concern is to have a tool with which it is difficult to have a roll-over accident. So what are my options for sloped, "rough terrain" mowing (by which I mean not as smooth as an urban lawn) without truly specialized and expensive equipment such as a Kut Kwick or the dual-wheel Power Tracs, both of which would be overkill for 2 acres of mowing?

One option is a Ventrac 4500 with the dual wheel option using the tough cut mower. The manufacturer rates the tractor for slopes up to 30 degrees. The mower has a cutting width which is 2.5 times the tool I use now, although I recognize there is not necessarily a direct inverse correlation between cutting width and cutting time. Cost is about the only issue with the Ventrac (I really have to stop comparing the cost of mowing equipment to mass produced cars). It seems like a great deal of money just to mow a couple of acres (more than 10X the cost of my current equipment). There is a very new relatively local dealer, so with little experience servicing Ventracs. The Ventrac has (with more expense) the capability to do many other things beside cutting the grass (although I have another tool that does most of what I need already see below).

The only other mowing alternative to what I use now that makes sense to me is commonly available in Europe, Australia and Asia. To my knowledge there are no North American manufacturers, but there are a dozen or more European and Japanese builders of "ride-on brushcutters" At least three of these are available in North America now. If you've never seen a video of one of these before, you may judge them to be somewhat "toy-like" but they appear to be able to do the job and with their low centre of gravity handle slopes with greater stability than most alternatives available in North America. Here's a video of an AS-Motor (Germany) 4WD version of a ride-on brushcutter, which looks to be the best of the three that I've evaluated. With a 35" cut I'm unsure how much faster this machine would be than what I use now, though. Would those small wheels make for a backbreaking ride? At US$13,500 this single use tool is also not inexpensive, but it's a lot less than a Ventrac mowing solution.
AS 94 Sherpa 4WD ride-on mower in action - YouTube
There are no local dealers for any of the three North American available brands that I've found (AS-Motor, Canycom, Orec). I also can find almost no information on these machines from a North American perspective (dealer support, etc.). Are any North American TBN members using them and able to provide insight? I'm always somewhat leery of review websites where something gets only great reviews, but here is what folks in Australia have to say:
AS-Motor AS 94 Sherpa 4WD Reviews - ProductReview.com.au
As further background, we own a diesel powered UTV ("side-by-side") equipped with a winch and front-end hydraulics that allow us to swap out attachments (bucket, blade and pallet forks). When we bought it, just before moving here, we viewed it as a powered wheelbarrow, with no thoughts to using it for mowing. Along with a MUTS utility trailer it has been indispensable in our development of the property. I've considered but rejected towing a mower behind this machine as an option because it lacks the required maneuverability. In addition, after a bit of uncomfortable experimentation on slopes, we mostly confine our use of the UTV to the driveway, old logging roads that have little side-to-side slope and the flatter areas of grass.

Are there other mowing options that I haven't considered? I have thought about non-mowing options such as replanting the steep slopes with something that doesn't require mowing (more maintenance than mowing) and getting goats (not interested in tending livestock). There are no local contractors with suitable equipment.

If you've made it this far, thank you for your patience in reading through this and I welcome your input.

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #2  
I got a Steiner a while back, and figured out it was pretty good at doing hills (but hey, this is Florida, lol) We do have an overpass or two that they grow grass down the sides of! Mine has a roll bar and a seat belt...what else do you need?
Good luck with your choice, making one like that is never fun!
David from jax

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #3  
Most machines can safely handle going up and down steeper slopes than going side hill. Requiring being able to side hill a 30 degree slope will greatly restrict the machines that you can choose from. If you can mow the steep parts up and down making your turns where it's flatter you'll be able to widen the range of machines to consider. You'll have to look at your land and figure out where you can make your turns. Of course a larger machine will need more room to turn.

I have steep land too. The only slope spec I could find for CUTs was for a Massey which said 20% slope in any direction. That's surely conservative but it's going to be hard to get any solid data. Not the least because a rock or hole on a slope can make a big difference. I ended up with a CUT with modifications to make it more stable on slopes (smaller tires and rear axle spacers). I can't operate it on all my land but it'll go on nearly all the places I want to mow. Some of them I mow up and down. In addition to mowing I'm using a PTO chipper and a box blade. Those requirements ruled out units like Ventrac.

One compromise would be to use a wider cutting riding mowing machine of some kind for the bulk of the mowing and the DR or a good string trimmer with grass blade for the steep parts.

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #4  
I suggest looking at the John Deere X700 series of garden tractors. I have the X758 (AWD & diesel) and it is very capable and stable. I have measured many areas of my property that I mow at between 23 degrees to 30 degrees. I used a 8 foot 2"x4" and a slope meter to measure, so I'm not just guessing. I don't sidehill 30 degrees, but the 758 climbs it with no problem. Not a cheap mower, but they can do many other tasks, and can be outfitted with 3PH and rear PTO.

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #5  
I have nearly the exact same needs and have not found a good solution. Someone recommended I check this:

Special Purpose Tractors

My problem with a Deere X7XX is that it is a belly mower. For mowing around the apple trees in our orchard I think a front mower would be best. But, I also have brush hogging needs on two slopes that are too steep for anything I currently have, even going up and down. One slope has a pond at the bottom and if you lost traction it would not be pretty. The dual wheel Ventrac would be great on the slopes, but with the dual wheels getting in close to the fruit trees might be an issue.

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #6  
Look at a PowerTrac. They have several models, and almost every attachment imaginable.
There is also an active forum on here about them.
I currently do not have the cash for an extra tractor, but when I do, they are on my short list.

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters")
Thank you for the responses so far, everyone.

David - The closest Steiner dealer is far away, so that's not a practical option. I know that there are differences, but to me the Steiner and Ventrac solutions are similar (as I assume are the costs).

Ericm979 - Thanks, I recognize that mowing up/down is more stable than side-hill and that would work for the area that I want to cut. Yes, using a string trimmer on the steep parts may be the solution (the DR isn't stable there, though), but right now I'm searching (perhaps hopelessly) for a single tool that will do it all for when I become old and decrepit.

Craig - I just had a look at the Operator's Manual for the X758, where it says "Never mow or operate ride-on mower on slope angles greater than 18 degrees with the lawn ride-on mower in its basic configuration". I'm sure that at companies like JD there is a constant battle over numbers like this between the marketing folks (increase them to improve sales) and the legal department (lower them to reduce potential liability). And those slope numbers don't account for rocks and dips and operator error that can throw the machine around, so they can't be relied on as a safe limit. Having said that, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable buying a tool that I intended to operate outside of the published slope limits.

Plowhog - Thanks for the link. I have the same concern about the Ventrac turning radius with dual wheels. Ventrac's specifications (why don't all manufacturers give all this data?) show that the turning radius with the steering linkage in position 1 (single tires) is 39 inches, but increases to 54 inches in position 2 (dual wheels). And I agree that having the mower under the machine, like the ride-on brushcutters, is sub-optimal since it puts the driver's face where the branches are (less so with this machine since the operator sits so much lower). My wife suggests increasing the diameter of the mulch area around each tree so that the grass cutting area is outside of where the branches are.

Goose69 - When I emailed Power Trac earlier for a recommendation they wrote that "The PT-1430 will mow on slopes up to 30 degrees". I asked for more information about this (side-slope or up/down and backup data) since this information doesn't appear on their website. They haven't responded after three business days.

I don't want to appear as a schill for AS-Motor, but here's another video of their machine climbing a 40 degree slope (approximate - a good marketing team would have put that number on the side of the constructed slope instead of forcing me to do some math after taking measurements off the video!). I believe that the side-hill limitation is 23 degrees. These were introduced into North America in late 2015. I hope that somebody on the forum has some experience to relate about dealer/distributor support for this machine.
AS 94 uberwindet luftige Hohen - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #8  
I own a power Trac 1850. Rated at 45 degrees sideways. PT is not a company that uses email. Call them. They are very responsive that way. Nothing wrong with Steiner. But imo pt is a better machine for slopes. Happy to answer any questions. When it comes to specialized gear you find that the problem is that they either do only one thing good or everything ok. Pt is a bit of a Swiss Army knife. Does all the stuff good. Just bunches of little compromises.

/ Advice on mowing sloped, rough terrain ("ride on brushcutters") #9  
I have a pond bank that runs 30 degrees in most places. For reference this is about 1 foot vertical change for every 3' horizontal change, or if in roofing dimensions, a 4/12 pitch. I am not cutting brush so this may not be any help to you. I'm mowing grass. I guess if it was really tall I'd cut high and make a second pass with the deck lowered.

After years of trying all sorts of things, I use a 46" cut 2 blade, conventional riding, hydrostat tranny, mower with snow studded ATV tires....."snow studded" means the tire's rubber studs are protruding ⅜ to ス" off the surface of the tire, randomly spaced with wide spaces between them. I have them on the front and rear; front for steering traction, not 4wd as there is none. I could add a picture but nothing really to be gained. Not complicated.

I comfortably sit on the up hill edge of the seat and mow parallel to the embankment. I sit completely vertical with my weight partially over top of the up hill tire. If a pendulum were suspended over my head, the weight would fall in the center of the mower, well within the width of the down hill tire ground contact. There is no reasonable way that I am in any danger of rolling over. Bought the Plain Jane mower at a big box store for under $2k. You could try this and if it doesn't work, put the OEM turfs back on and mow your yard with it while you search for the thing you can't seem to find.