Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure?

/ Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure? #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I have about 3 acres, 0.5 acres of 28 year old SOD that is treated 2 times a year by a company I pay $85 each time, and then 2.5 acres of what once was a hay or straw pasture. I keep all mowed short and tight. What I want to do is convert the 2.5 acres less into broad leaf and wild grass and more into a thicker grass typical of a home yard.

Do you plug and then seed and follow with a roller?

I'm looking at renting a large Woods 3-point plugger ($95 for a day) and then I have a 435 LB 42" roller, but I have access to a 950 LB 66" roller. I want to run my 2.5 acre pasture and try to get more grass rather than the naturally occurring grassy stuff that inhabits the old straw field. You can still see the difference 28 years later between the sod around the house and the transition to the wild grass.

I'm also thinking of fertilizing the 2.5 acres with Scott's fertilizer with the broad leaf/weed control, and mixing in grub control as well. I have quite the mole city that I would like to chase back into the 12 acres of woods behind the yard.

My fear with the Scott's product is... what if I spread that out here in the next month and essentially kill the entire 2.5 acres and end up with a dirt yard!

Photos of the 2.5 acres are attached.

I'm not well versed in lawn care. In my life I have simply paid the fellow to spray, I cut/trim and it is what it is.

Attachments

• View from porch.jpg
    View from porch.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 301
  • Mid peak looking back.jpg
    Mid peak looking back.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Far end back.jpg
    Far end back.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 269
  • 32 degree slope.jpg
    32 degree slope.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 286
   / Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure? #2  
Your landscape is beautiful. Mine is pathetic. Most folks around here plug and reseed in the fall. Usually here that is in mid September until mid November. Without water the seed will not do much of anything.

Never tried the Scott's products. I am sure they are excellent but pricey. We just stick to regular triple 17 and lime. The soil around here needs lime.

My mother has a professional landscaper take care of her place. That is his procedure. He does use slow release fertilizer but I don't know the specific product. Her place is immaculate.

/ Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure? #3  
WOW....that is some steep terrain to mow.

Go out right this minute and put down some pre-emergent fetilizer. I put down about 200lbs per acre of the crabgrass preventer that can be bought at rural king.....do it now and again in April. Keep the broadleaf sprayed all summer.....then in the fall aerate and overseen in September with a tall turf type fescue.....that is about it...get soil samples and amend according to analysis.

Theo there option is to do nothing.

I have been doing this lawn fertilization and overseeding for years.....roller is NOT necessary. I have a 1st products aeravator.....look it up....it is hands down the best aeration tool on the market....watch for Craigslists adds in your region....several states and see if you can't find one....good way to make some extra $$ as well. I sold my first one and had a guy drive 6 hours one way to buy it.

/ Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure?
I'm not familiar with "Triple 17", and I just attempted a google search and did not turn up anything. Can you expand on that product, you peaked my interest by noting that it is likely less costly than the Scott's. Scott's is pretty pricey with 15,000 SQ/FT coverage per $60 bag.

/ Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure? #5  
I'm not familiar with "Triple 17", and I just attempted a google search and did not turn up anything. Can you expand on that product, you peaked my interest by noting that it is likely less costly than the Scott's. Scott's is pretty pricey with 15,000 SQ/FT coverage per $60 bag.

It is just a blend of fertilizer....triple 17, triple 10, triple 19 and what not. It is the percentage of Potash, Nitrogen, etc. of the three fertilizers that are blended in that bag. For your purposes and what you are wanting to do it doesn't mean near as much as the advice I gave you.

WOW....that is some steep terrain to mow.

Go out right this minute and put down some pre-emergent fetilizer. I put down about 200lbs per acre of the crabgrass preventer that can be bought at rural king.....do it now and again in April. Keep the broadleaf sprayed all summer.....then in the fall aerate and overseen in September with a tall turf type fescue.....that is about it...get soil samples and amend according to analysis.

Theo there option is to do nothing.

I have been doing this lawn fertilization and overseeding for years.....roller is NOT necessary. I have a 1st products aeravator.....look it up....it is hands down the best aeration tool on the market....watch for Craigslists adds in your region....several states and see if you can't find one....good way to make some extra $$ as well. I sold my first one and had a guy drive 6 hours one way to buy it.

LOL, that is the "flat" part of my property. It's steeper down into the woods.

That machine your referring to.... WOW! $7,400 for the 60". That is more serious than I am willing to buy in to! That is one bad to the bone machine with the vibration on top of the plug knives. But the expense is far past my imagined budget to try to improve my yard.

Is there a way to buy bulk (non retail) pre-emergent? At your recommended rate, I would need around 500 lbs, at $60 per 40 lb retail bag of Scott's that would be $780 per application in Scott's. That seems really excessive.

/ Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure? #7  
LOL, that is the "flat" part of my property. It's steeper down into the woods.

That machine your referring to.... WOW! $7,400 for the 60". That is more serious than I am willing to buy in to! That is one bad to the bone machine with the vibration on top of the plug knives. But the expense is far past my imagined budget to try to improve my yard.

Is there a way to buy bulk (non retail) pre-emergent? At your recommended rate, I would need around 500 lbs, at $60 per 40 lb retail bag of Scott's that would be $780 per application in Scott's. That seems really excessive.

I bought my first on for $600. It was a 60 inch model that attached to my grasshopper. The one I use now I paid $3,500 for. Bought it brand new. You can do a similar job with an aerator for the back of your tractor...probably can rent one somewhere...I used to rent a bluebird that had 5 gallon water jugs you filled up for weight and put it behind my Honda four wheeler......and it did a good enough job. Do not buy Scotts. Rural King has 40lb bags for $17.99 a bag. If you have a sprayer you can use Dimension. It can be purchased at domyownpestcontrol.com. I actually do a granular application now and then my second application I will use dimension spray mixed with 24d. Dimension is the same chemical that can be found in the bags of pre emergent fertilizer at rural king...It works great.

Oh...and PS...lawn maintenance is not cheap...but I have found the least expensive ways you can to do it well and do it right.

Is there an advantage of granular over sprayed? I can buy a sprayer or a broadcast spreader, since I have not made that call yet, I am flexible.

/ Aerator/Seeding/roller use and procedure? #9  
Is there an advantage of granular over sprayed? I can buy a sprayer or a broadcast spreader, since I have not made that call yet, I am flexible.

Really need both. Need a spreader to spread your fertilizer and sprayer to spray weeds. What I have found as the only decent weed control in a granular application is the pre-emergent. Only reason I didn't spray pre emergent this weekend is my lawn was too wet. So I spread with a push spreader.

When you say spray weeds, are you talking about spray my entire yard or are you talking about going around and picking and choosing individual items to spray with something like a garden sprayer? I was sort of planning on buying the pre-emergent style granular and buying an Agri Fab spreader for around $200 at Rural King and basically covering the entire two and a half acres with that. While I was doing that I was going to mix in the grub killer to try to get the moles to move out of the yard and Into the Woods. So essentially I planned on mixing it in the hopper a combination of the pre-emergent weed killer and the grub killer and putting that slurry out over the grass.