Agco White 6124 PTO shaft

/ Agco White 6124 PTO shaft #1  

uler3161

Tractor
Kubota B6000
I just bought a 1996 Agco White 6124. Was looking at the PTO setup and supposedly the way it works is if you want the 1000 rpm PTO you install the 21 spline shaft. If you want 540 rpm, you install the 6 spline shaft. Problem is, I can't find a 6 spline shaft with the machine. It's already got the 21 spline installed. The user manual says it will be in the toolbox, but I can't locate a toolbox anywhere on the machine and other than in the cab, I don't see where the 540 shaft could have been stored. I've ordered an adapter to adapt the 21 spline to a 6 spline, but I would guess unless there's some rpm selector that I'm not seeing, it would be running at 1000 rpm. I'm guessing the way they made this work was two different splines in the machine. One running at 540 and the other at 1000 and the shaft itself is designed to mesh with the correct spline?

I was thinking about running the tractor at low rpm to try to get the 1000 rpm down closer to 540. Is it a dumb idea?

I guess I should be on the lookout for a PTO shaft. Perhaps more than just a shaft? Found the shaft itself on eBay but it's about 300 bucks.

/ Agco White 6124 PTO shaft #2  
I paid $290 for my large 1000 21 spline from my AGCO dealer. Mine has a switch you flip in the cab to go from 540 to 1000. I think it’s has 6 studs with retaining nuts to hold shaft on.
I bought it to run a large square baler

/ Agco White 6124 PTO shaft #3  
Not sure on the AGCO but on many that took two different shafts there is a large C-clip in the back of the housing,
remove the clip, pull the shaft out and install the other shaft reinstall the clip and good to go.
The shafts are different lengths and engage different drive gears no levers to shift or anything.
A few tractors you would pull the shaft out and reverse it and reinstall for the speed change.

As far as using your adapter to run a 540 implement on the 1000 rpm shaft you will need to slow the engine down to half the normal pto engine speed and depending on power requirements it may not run for you.
Also the tractors governor may have a hard time keeping the engine at the set rpm.

The biggest danger is the lengthened shaft wobbling and causing issues or over speeding your implement.