Air ratchet repair.

/ Air ratchet repair. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I have a Chicago Pneumatics that is probably about 30 years old. Today it stopped working when it is under a load. It sounds like it’s working but won’t turn. This is the case tightening or loosening. If it’s not under load it spins fine. Can these be fixed or rebuilt.
D4E812B9-8777-4E34-A81A-656EF0D50A0F.jpeg

/ Air ratchet repair. #2  
should be just a phone call away for your answer. If not rebuilt a new head should be available.

/ Air ratchet repair. #3  
If the tool has been properly lubed and had decently clean air throughout its life three o-rings will usually put it back to as new condition. Sometimes the rotor blades need to be replaced.

Last edited:
   / Air ratchet repair. #4  
I fix a lot of stuff. I fix it if I dont have to buy anything or can buy something generic or stock to fix it. All those parts are expensive and hard to get and the thing is 3/4 worn out already. 3/8 ratchets something I never had much luck with and they dont last as long anyway which might not be such a deal.
Parts for the savvy may not be a problem, maybe its a hobby but with discount vendors a guy can score a new one in a box, new model for 30 or 40more than putting a part in to a worn out one. They call that,,,, all parts available,,,,, new in box,, all assembled.

/ Air ratchet repair.
I ran a bunch of PB Blaster through it than air tool oil. When I looked it over before hand it looked like it might have been gunked up. Maybe it’s fixed now??

/ Air ratchet repair. #6  
If it works you are a winner for cheap.

/ Air ratchet repair. #7  
Most of the time I find that the rotor blades get gunk on them from the oil residue and they no longer slide out and seal. This allows air to pass around them. If it's working after putting oil in it chances are you got them unstuck. I would still take it apart and clean up the internal parts. Chances are it'll last for decades more.

/ Air ratchet repair. #9  
If the tool has been properly lubed and had decently clean air throughout its life three o-rings will usually put it back to as new condition. Sometimes the rotor blades need to be replaced.
This^

Easily 3/4 of the problems I've had with pneumatic tools is a sticky blade. Either a good clean/lube or jewelers rouge has fixed them all.

/ Air ratchet repair. #10  
You simply need a head repair kit.
The ratchet pawl and springs are worn out.
I sold and rebuilt hundreds during my many years with Mac Tools.
Probably can buy them online by now.
Most are generic.
Don't know your model,but the CP828 with the gold knob was different.
Flip over,remove snap ring,shift into "neutral,slide out head kit,clean and lube,reinstall.
Really worn units will need a yoke as well.
Classic symptoms-runs but no power.
Good Luck!