Algae & Microbal growth in diesel

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
recent fuel injection failure discussions on this forum have made me upgrade from Howes to Optilube. not interested in what you are using
never had a fuel problem. however, just wondering if most algae & microbal problems occur within tractor or farm storage tanks, etc

i rotate between 2x 5gal containers. i may be overthinking, just wondering your views for algae & microbal prevention in you circumstance.
i don't know compatibility of algicides & diesel fuel supplements in general but would be easy to mix... have a feeling a lot depends on how often supply is circulated. yes, am overthinking but rather that than injector pump failure, thx

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel #2  
My thinking is...........if you are rotating just two 5 gallon containeers within a couple months of each other, you should not have an microbial growth problem....even in the heat of summer. As I understand it, Howes is just for antigel function......don't know about Optilube.

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel
thank you on that. guess i'm looking at lubricity, water dispersion, scrubbers. haven't had to deal w/microbal & algae growth (yet), so will leave as is, thx again...in a marine location, surely would be looking at
gelling is not an issue here

Last edited:
   / Algae & Microbal growth in diesel #4  
Once you get water in your fuel tank you have the potential for a biological growth. It doesn't matter if you rotate your fuel caddies/canisters, adding fresh fuel. The water is still in the fuel tank unless you use a biocide. Even better if you can get your hands on a biocide that breaks-down the water.

Here in Australia/NZ we have a product called "Fuel Doctors" that does this. Unfortunately it is not available in NA... unless you want to have it shipped there.

Oh, and big bubba... nice thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger) as your avatar. (y)

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel
thank you on that. actually, did not make connection between water & biological growth. am using a capture funnel & the tractor water separator bowl seems to do a good job. again, all this is preventive as one hears injector horror stories.
& yes, what an extrodinary animal was the thylacine

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel #6  
thank you on that. actually, did not make connection between water & biological growth. am using a capture funnel & the tractor water separator bowl seems to do a good job. again, all this is preventive as one hears injector horror stories.
& yes, what an extrodinary animal was the thylacine
We have a thylacine on our Tasmania vehicle licence plates... the 'rumour' is that they are still out there in the wilds of the State.

There's even a reward for proof!

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel #7  
Never had a problem and we use a big gravity fuel tank. Fill maybe twice a year.

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel #8  
Brother had a problem where the filter would plug and engine quit on his daily driver 300td

Did the biocide for several months and several filter changes…

Years later he was talking to some diesel owners and they all had same issue and bought from same station.

40 years ago diesel was mostly truck stops and very few stations carried it.

/ Algae & Microbal growth in diesel #10  
Algee grows mostly in the water in the fuel. Even condensation can cause water. I treat my fuel for algee when I buy it and use a golden rod filter at my hand pump. Bit useing 5gal jugs I wouldnt worry to much. Judt try to keep your machine full.