Alternate garage wall materials.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
Would like to close in my 2 bay garage, and would like to hear ideas for something other than drywall. It will not be heated continuously, nor cooled in the summer.

Thanks.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #2  
In my workshop I did 3/8" beadboard panels. They are thick enough that I can hang just about anything by putting a drywall screw where I want. I just put them up with drywall screws and painted them and it looks OK. For a fancy look you could stain or finish them but then you'd have to figure out how to conceal the fasteners. They were about twice what drywall panels cost at Home Depot.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #3  
OSB works well. It will take paint, but is kind of a pain to paint, and you can screw into it and hang stuff just about anywhere.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #4  
A friend of mine had connections at a garage door installation company. They'd save all the old removed door panels that weren't damaged and in under a year he had enough to completely cover the inside of his wash bay at his car lot. It helped the door company as well, the old panels weren't accepted at the landfill because of the foam core and metal exterior. I got 5 24" x 14' panels from work when they replaced a door that was damaged, they made a great insulated area for my water tank and heater in my crawl space....mike

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #5  
Do you have water or mold problems? I am considering cement board/hardibacker below about 18" and most likely painted 1/2" plywood above.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #6  
I used OSB and left it unpainted. I kind of like the look. I also put vertical black 1x2's on the seams to kind of dress it up and give me an attachment point for pegboard. Since this is pole barn, I've got used T-11 paneling on the bottom 3-1/2 feet as wainscot under the OSB.

/ Alternate garage wall materials.
Do you have water or mold problems? I am considering cement board/hardibacker below about 18" and most likely painted 1/2" plywood above.

Well it is Eastern Ontario, so it does get pretty humid in the summer and the spring. Water is not a problem. I looked at cement board, but it is very similar to drywall in its ability to withstand abuse.

In my workshop I did 3/8" beadboard panels. They are thick enough that I can hang just about anything by putting a drywall screw where I want. I just put them up with drywall screws and painted them and it looks OK. For a fancy look you could stain or finish them but then you'd have to figure out how to conceal the fasteners. They were about twice what drywall panels cost at Home Depot.

This is high on my list right now. I like the look too.

OSB works well. It will take paint, but is kind of a pain to paint, and you can screw into it and hang stuff just about anywhere.

I had OSB in my previous shop, and it delaminated and sagged. I guess if it was prepped properly this would not be an issue.

/ Alternate garage wall materials. #10  
Had an unfinished garage in Atlanta, GA. The studs were exposed with insulation between them. The ceiling was over 8 feet. I screwed OSB up to 8 foot, leaving the insulation above open. The unfinished OSB was tough enough stand rough treatment and held hanging stuff. OSB worked well for me.