AMD's 1968 MF 135

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135 #1  

AMD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510
Hi All,

Just over a month ago I picked up a 1968 135 diesel (US). The price was right and I couldn't pass it up. I joined TBN around then and have spent much time since reading many of the threads in this forum. Overall the tractor is in good shape mechanically, but needs some TLC. A few things I was hoping to get some input on are:

It came with a Kelley FEL, that only has a trip bucket. I know over time this will become a pain, but for the time being I can live with it. The main need for a tractor was for driveway maintenance - about 500' and we get good amounts of snow here. I will be buying a snowblower for that part so the loader won't be a factor there. I have noticed though that it occasionally will not lift - it jerks to lift but only budges maybe 1/4 inch. It has always eventually lifted but I'm looking for any suggestions on what might be the issue. The 3PH always seems to work fine, both raising and lowering. The loader always lowers without hesitation as well.

Lights - all lights have been disconnected for 30+ years. I tested the headlights with a 12V power supply and they do come on so I need to figure out wiring. I've bought the operating manual and a service manual, but I haven't found a good detailed drawing of where the power to the light switch comes from? OR for that matter what wires connect to the back of the light switch (I bought a new switch with 5 terminals on the back). I've also spent time on the AGCO parts book website which details a lot of the wiring, but not all. Any help here would be appreciated.

Muffler and Exhaust pipe - both in bad shape, and I did order new ones to replace (hope to get by the weekend) but I'm fairly certain the exhaust pipe I ordered from the manifold to the muffler (horizontal exhaust) is not going to be correct. Any of the exhaust pipes called up for the 135 seem to have a vertical drop of about 12" +/- a little, however in actuallity mine drops 18" vertically. Does anyone else have an exhaust that goes down this far? If so can you let me know what part number you've used to replace it?

Other than that I can say I am a happy Massey Ferguson owner. I grew up on a small farm and both of my father's tractors were MF, so it's been in my blood since childhood.

Thanks in advance for any help!
AMD

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135 #2  
Hi All,

Just over a month ago I picked up a 1968 135 diesel (US). The price was right and I couldn't pass it up. I joined TBN around then and have spent much time since reading many of the threads in this forum. Overall the tractor is in good shape mechanically, but needs some TLC. A few things I was hoping to get some input on are:

It came with a Kelley FEL, that only has a trip bucket. I know over time this will become a pain, but for the time being I can live with it. The main need for a tractor was for driveway maintenance - about 500' and we get good amounts of snow here. I will be buying a snowblower for that part so the loader won't be a factor there. I have noticed though that it occasionally will not lift - it jerks to lift but only budges maybe 1/4 inch. It has always eventually lifted but I'm looking for any suggestions on what might be the issue. The 3PH always seems to work fine, both raising and lowering. The loader always lowers without hesitation as well.

Lights - all lights have been disconnected for 30+ years. I tested the headlights with a 12V power supply and they do come on so I need to figure out wiring. I've bought the operating manual and a service manual, but I haven't found a good detailed drawing of where the power to the light switch comes from? OR for that matter what wires connect to the back of the light switch (I bought a new switch with 5 terminals on the back). I've also spent time on the AGCO parts book website which details a lot of the wiring, but not all. Any help here would be appreciated.

Muffler and Exhaust pipe - both in bad shape, and I did order new ones to replace (hope to get by the weekend) but I'm fairly certain the exhaust pipe I ordered from the manifold to the muffler (horizontal exhaust) is not going to be correct. Any of the exhaust pipes called up for the 135 seem to have a vertical drop of about 12" +/- a little, however in actuallity mine drops 18" vertically. Does anyone else have an exhaust that goes down this far? If so can you let me know what part number you've used to replace it?

Other than that I can say I am a happy Massey Ferguson owner. I grew up on a small farm and both of my father's tractors were MF, so it's been in my blood since childhood.

Thanks in advance for any help!
AMD

How is the loader being run hydraulicly? Does the tractor have a pump driven off the front of the crankshaft or do you have an auxiliary valve in front of the seat fed by the internal hydraulic pump or some other setup. A few pictures would help if possible. If the tractor does not have a front pump, the loader is likely being operated from the tractor hydraulics and you will need to have the position lever pulled all the way back into the constant pumping position and the draft lever all the way back also. If you have two levers in front of the seat the left lever should be pulled and held to operate the three point. To operate the loader the left lever should be centered, the position lever in the constant pumping position and the right lever should operate the loader. Its unclear what kind of valve is being used so at this point it could be something else. You may know this but the tractor most likely have a dual clutch so it must not be depressed all the way down for the internal pump to operate. You should feel two different pressures on the clutch pedal to know where the midpoint is. If you depress the clutch through the first stage it stops power to the transmission and allow the PTO and hydraulic pump to run. All the way down will stop all functions. Not trying to insult anyone but I was unaware of this feature when I first looked at my 135.

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135
How is the loader being run hydraulicly? Does the tractor have a pump driven off the front of the crankshaft or do you have an auxiliary valve in front of the seat fed by the internal hydraulic pump or some other setup. A few pictures would help if possible. If the tractor does not have a front pump, the loader is likely being operated from the tractor hydraulics and you will need to have the position lever pulled all the way back into the constant pumping position and the draft lever all the way back also. If you have two levers in front of the seat the left lever should be pulled and held to operate the three point. To operate the loader the left lever should be centered, the position lever in the constant pumping position and the right lever should operate the loader. Its unclear what kind of valve is being used so at this point it could be something else. You may know this but the tractor most likely have a dual clutch so it must not be depressed all the way down for the internal pump to operate. You should feel two different pressures on the clutch pedal to know where the midpoint is. If you depress the clutch through the first stage it stops power to the transmission and allow the PTO and hydraulic pump to run. All the way down will stop all functions. Not trying to insult anyone but I was unaware of this feature when I first looked at my 135.

I have an auxillary valve in front of the seat, between my legs. I have the position control and draft control levers as you mention. I did figure that much out. As you mention the left operates the 3PH and the right level the loader. I have to put the position control in the down position in order to have either the 3PH or loader go down, by pulling the levers towards me. Pushing the levers away from doesn't seem to do much.

I do have the 2 stage clutch but didn't realize that pressing it all the way down cut the power to the hydraulic pump - I believe thanks to you this has likely eliminated my need to be baffled any longer! I'll give it a try... but it certainly makes sense. There have been a few times that I've gotten the loader down and can't raise it so started up the driveway with my tail between my legs dragging the bucket and then once I start moving I try again and it lifts! Glad I asked the question if that's all it was! Thanks.

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135 #4  
I have an auxillary valve in front of the seat, between my legs. I have the position control and draft control levers as you mention. I did figure that much out. As you mention the left operates the 3PH and the right level the loader. I have to put the position control in the down position in order to have either the 3PH or loader go down, by pulling the levers towards me. Pushing the levers away from doesn't seem to do much.

I do have the 2 stage clutch but didn't realize that pressing it all the way down cut the power to the hydraulic pump - I believe thanks to you this has likely eliminated my need to be baffled any longer! I'll give it a try... but it certainly makes sense. There have been a few times that I've gotten the loader down and can't raise it so started up the driveway with my tail between my legs dragging the bucket and then once I start moving I try again and it lifts! Glad I asked the question if that's all it was! Thanks.

I didn't want to confuse you in my first response. Now on the front of the auxiliary valve there are two screws that change the valve from single acting to double acting. If you have only one hydraulic hose connected to the bottom of the cylinder on the loader and none on the top, you need to unscrew the one on the left hand side. Thats the side that controls the loader. the screw is about 3/8 inch in diameter and sticks out about maybe 1/2 inch or so. its got a standard screwdriver slot in it, try screwing it in then unscrew it out till it stops. Be gentle not to break it. You've checked out agcopartsbook. You can search accessories then 100 series tractor then look for dual auxiliary valve I cant get to the parts book right now but it will show the screw I'm talking about. If it is screwed in, pressure from the valve will try backfeed the cylinders and it will be slow to go down. That may be why you need to move the position lever down to let the loader down. Give it a try.

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135
I didn't want to confuse you in my first response. Now on the front of the auxiliary valve there are two screws that change the valve from single acting to double acting. If you have only one hydraulic hose connected to the bottom of the cylinder on the loader and none on the top, you need to unscrew the one on the left hand side. Thats the side that controls the loader. the screw is about 3/8 inch in diameter and sticks out about maybe 1/2 inch or so. its got a standard screwdriver slot in it, try screwing it in then unscrew it out till it stops. Be gentle not to break it. You've checked out agcopartsbook. You can search accessories then 100 series tractor then look for dual auxiliary valve I cant get to the parts book right now but it will show the screw I'm talking about. If it is screwed in, pressure from the valve will try backfeed the cylinders and it will be slow to go down. That may be why you need to move the position lever down to let the loader down. Give it a try.

Thanks, I will. I think it makes sense, I printed that picture from partsbook. It will be easier to visualize once I'm home and in front of the tractor.

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135 #6  
Thanks, I will. I think it makes sense, I printed that picture from partsbook. It will be easier to visualize once I'm home and in front of the tractor.

I told you wrong. The screw on the right hand is the one you want to screw out. Its on the same side as the lever that controls the loader. Actually, both need to be screwed out. I guess I don't know my left from my right.:laughing:

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135
I told you wrong. The screw on the right hand is the one you want to screw out. Its on the same side as the lever that controls the loader. Actually, both need to be screwed out. I guess I don't know my left from my right.:laughing:

I was wondering if you meant from a seated position on the tractor or standing looking from the front! (but I wasn't going to ask)

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135 #8  
G'day AMD as a rule your left and right are taken from sitting in the operators seat ( not every one does this though :duh:)

Jon

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135 #9  

you should have two hoses coming off the auxiliary valve. one from the front port and one from the rear. you could hook the hose to the loader to the other quick disconnect coming off the rear of the valve ( I asume you have quick disconnects to the rear of the tractor) This will raise the loader by pulling the right hand lever toward you. This seems to be the norm. This also may be the reason you need to move the position lever to lower the loader. The screw I spoke of may not have any effect if you have the loader hose connected to the front of the valve. How ever the hose is connected to the valve, if you use the rear connection the loader should operate properly if you have that screw in the correct position. then you should be able to leave the position control lever on the right side of the seat in the constant pumping position.

/ AMD's 1968 MF 135
you should have two hoses coming off the auxiliary valve. one from the front port and one from the rear. you could hook the hose to the loader to the other quick disconnect coming off the rear of the valve ( I asume you have quick disconnects to the rear of the tractor) This will raise the loader by pulling the right hand lever toward you. This seems to be the norm. This also may be the reason you need to move the position lever to lower the loader. The screw I spoke of may not have any effect if you have the loader hose connected to the front of the valve. How ever the hose is connected to the valve, if you use the rear connection the loader should operate properly if you have that screw in the correct position. then you should be able to leave the position control lever on the right side of the seat in the constant pumping position.

The right screw was in the inner position - I did turn it out. I'll have to get some photos of my set-up to post. I was very happy last night knowing that it was just the 2 stage clutch that had been causing some problems. The loader will lower by pressing forward (it did previously too, but I was worried that doing that was causing it to not function properly when it was unresponsive) but the 3PH will not lower by pressing the left lever forward. This may be the norm though?

Got my old muffler and exhaust pipe removed - will take it in when I go tomorrow to pick up what I ordered- hopefully they'll have something that matches the exhaust pipe that was on the tractor, as I'm pretty sure the one I'm getting doesn't drop far enough vertically.