American vertical hydraulic 3pt splitter

/ American vertical hydraulic 3pt splitter #1  

brown40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Good Morning,

I was hoping to find some personal experience with the American brand 3pt direct plumbed vertical(no horizontal) log splitter.

I know people loves their Huskees, Speecos, Timberwolfs, Iron & Oaks, etc. but rather than have the question disintegrate into the round robin of what makes what better and why, I'm wondering who's seen and used this particular splitter. One is for sale locally that's all plumbed for open center and I'm interested in running it direct on an 8.6 gpm tractor at 2500 psi--I know the cycle would be on the slow side, but don't have funds to set up a pump and reservoir and configure my 'dream splitter'. It's a decent price, but most wood I cut is smaller & suited for horizontal splitting, so it'd be a future project to set up ideally.

Old posts indicate the brand is well-made and up to regular use, but I couldn't find much on that particular model. If it's a good unit, I'd fabricate a swivel hitch to allow it to go horizontal (after this seasons splitting), but that'd push the cost up into a new Powerhorse range when it'd be all said & done, with the option to change positions built right in.

I like splitting wood by hand, but the shoulders are getting more disagreeable with heavy pounding.

Anyone have this model? Any pros or cons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

/ American vertical hydraulic 3pt splitter #2  
Sorry - I'm not familiar with that brand. 3 Point Horizontal Splitters are a dime a dozen on Craig's List -- often for $300 or less.