Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm
Doesn't what they are doing fit in the definition of farmer?

Farmer - Wikipedia

Nothing there about the type of crop or scale of operations.

More power to 'em if that makes them happy and productive.
The gist and point of the article is in the title "Leaving desk jobs to farm"

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #12  
Nothing wrong with getting out of the rat race if you can afford it...........I did at 50.....no regrets.

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #13  
The gist and point of the article is in the title "Leaving desk jobs to farm"

Got that. I don't have a problem with defining what they are doing as farming.

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #14  
Nothing wrong with getting out of the rat race if you can afford it...........I did at 50.....no regrets.

How's the tattoo working out for you?

tattoo.mp4.Still003.jpg

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #15  
Biggest problem for small speciality farms is selling their produce at a fair price to them. Another problem is meeting all the local & Federal regulations on selling to the public at large.

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #16  
Biggest problem for small speciality farms is selling their produce at a fair price to them. Another problem is meeting all the local & Federal regulations on selling to the public at large.

Yep. Local guy put a bunch of money into greenhouses then had to forget abut it due to all the problems getting approved and continue meeting specs to sell produce. Just wasn't worth it.

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #17  
The article was some young people have big garden, sell produce at farmers market and want government help to continue.
How many of the young farmers are actually farmers verses looking for tax breaks and subsidy for their hobby
Young farmers I know are continuing family business

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #18  
There are definitely a lot of small acre farmers here in Washington and Oregon, now that certain laws have changed.

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #19  
I'm from ag and approximately 2/3rds of my family is in it today. (I'm not) All of their operations are larger than the sizes listed..... Yet they are indeed, family farms.

The article is behind a paywall for me, so I can't read beyond the first couple of paragraphs, Does the article say anything about the extent these young farmers are depending on non-farm income to support their farming operations?

Here are some data on economies of size in crop farming from https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/45108/39359_err152.pdf?v=4152.

View attachment 529577
I'm from ag and approximately 2/3rds of my family is in it today. (I'm not) All of their operations are larger than the sizes listed..... Yet they are indeed, family farms.

View attachment 529578

Steve