An future end to DPF Diesels?

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
Well, maybe there is hope: If I can make my current tractor last long enough, maybe this technology will be in play before I have to buy again, and I won't have to mess with DPF.

Can Diesel Finally Come Clean?
article appearing in Scientific American

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #3  
I'm sure hoping that that DPF era was just an UGLY bump in the road for the Diesel.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #4  
Interesting.

Although I wouldn't put it past the Greenies (and/or the Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia) to complain or throw up huge roadblocks... as they do.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #5  
Interesting.

Although I wouldn't put it past the Greenies (and/or the Peoples Democratic Republic of Kalifornia) to complain or throw up huge roadblocks... as they do.

YES...
You need to throw piles of tax dollars at it too to make them happy!!!

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #6  
I guess I do not see the big issue with DPFs. But I have only had one regen with mine. 20 minutes every 50 hours does not seem worth getting all worked up about.

I can see someone coming up with ways to disable the DPF process if it has not already been done. If it bothers me, I might look into that once the warranty on my tractor is done.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #7  
The DPF are the noticeable part of the new "clean" diesels, the EGR is the other big culprit.
The cleanest burning diesels and most fuel efficient to me were the pre tier 4 common rail units.
With no EGR and no DPF those engines ran clean started very well and lasted.
A mechanical injected diesel runs good and will noticeably smoke under heavy load, and the oil will get dirty looking fast (soot).
The early common rail unless "tuned for max power" ran excellently, didn't smoke near as much, started better and the oil would stay clean for a ling time.
Then the EGR crap started, power was down, starting was not quite as good and the engines soot up the oil even faster then the older mechanical engines did.
With the EGR they then stuck on the DPF to collect the soot that was increased from the EGR and now we burn extra fuel to heat up an exhaust filter to burn soot.
Plus we have DEF that gets injected in small quanities to reduce NOx supposedly which doesn't work quite often in the winter.
Of course winter operation is when the DPF has the hardest time getting up to temperature and uses even more fuel to try and get it to temperature and clean up.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #8  
That is a nice article and I like the idea, but they seem to be dancing around the terminology, mixing in some generic terms like bunsen burner and venturi effect. For over a 100 years, the concept they are describing has been known as an "ejector" in engineering circles. I wonder why that word was never mentioned?

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #9  
Well, maybe there is hope: If I can make my current tractor last long enough, maybe this technology will be in play before I have to buy again, and I won't have to mess with DPF.

Can Diesel Finally Come Clean?
article appearing in Scientific American

That is an interesting article and makes a good case why diesels will be around for a while due to lack of replacement options. It talks about 'dieselgate' but VW response to dieselgate seems to be to totally ditch the ICE.

Volkswagen plans to phase out gas and diesel engines by 226 - UPI.com

Is the diesel tractor going to be replaced?

Gradual switch from diesel to gas and electricity - FutureFarming

FutureFarming states: "Diesel's days in agriculture are numbered."

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #10  
The DPF are the noticeable part of the new "clean" diesels, the EGR is the other big culprit.
The cleanest burning diesels and most fuel efficient to me were the pre tier 4 common rail units.
With no EGR and no DPF those engines ran clean started very well and lasted.
A mechanical injected diesel runs good and will noticeably smoke under heavy load, and the oil will get dirty looking fast (soot).
The early common rail unless "tuned for max power" ran excellently, didn't smoke near as much, started better and the oil would stay clean for a ling time.
Then the EGR crap started, power was down, starting was not quite as good and the engines soot up the oil even faster then the older mechanical engines did.
With the EGR they then stuck on the DPF to collect the soot that was increased from the EGR and now we burn extra fuel to heat up an exhaust filter to burn soot.
Plus we have DEF that gets injected in small quanities to reduce NOx supposedly which doesn't work quite often in the winter.
Of course winter operation is when the DPF has the hardest time getting up to temperature and uses even more fuel to try and get it to temperature and clean up.

Endless Circle.