Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs!

/ Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs! #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
I was selling a couple tons of scrap steel, aluminum, and copper wiring (demolished a vacant house I bought), and did some digging for a piece of steel that would make a good counterweight for my LS. I talked to the kid who runs the yard,and he had just the ticket! Raw weight was 1,300lbs when we left the yard in my neighbor's dump truck. Here it was at the start with my neighbor from across the street modeling his bionic leg!

null_zps744da03a.jpg

Draw bar tacked on, ready to get it vertical:

null_zps9ee71300.jpg

Added a top link:

null_zpsc797afbe.jpg

First time hanging it on the 3pt:

null_zpsf5b55f1b.jpg

Added some legs so I don't have to wrestle with it:

null_zps4df197bf.jpg

It wouldn't be complete without a hitch!

null_zps7b5ce90e.jpg

Some paint (I'll fix the color, and add another SMV sign later....maybe):

null_zpsec6e0819.jpg

Here's how it sits lowered:

null_zps9ea76863.jpg

Hat's off to my awesome neighbor, and good friend, Paul, for his welding help....here he is in action:

null_zps14f3821b.jpg

Last edited:
   / Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs! #3  
That was a real good find at the scrap yard! The scrap yard around here won't sell anything.

/ Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs! #4  
Wow. Very nice, professional job!

/ Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs! #5  
Nice. Do you worry about bending those feet if you hit something? Another option would be to have a cradle that it sits into when dismounting. All in all, very good work.

/ Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs! #7  
Nice find!

It probably weighs as much as my mighty Massey (1010) :laughing: I am thinking of some way to add weight to my Gannon rotating box. Had to do some grading work at brother in laws and when ripping his clay soil, the teeth just skipped across the ground till I had him stand on it. WOW what a difference. Gotta add a couple hundred pounds somehow, and still allow it to rotate.

/ Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs! #8  
Thats 1300,,.....WOW.......Thats a real cool compact piece...:)

/ Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs!
Nice. Do you worry about bending those feet if you hit something? Another option would be to have a cradle that it sits into when dismounting. All in all, very good work.

The thought crossed my mind that I could bend a leg pretty easily, but I didn't want to mess around with a cradle, for a couple of reasons. I'm not terribly worried, because it's pretty close to the tractor, but we could always box the legs with more material, or add a section of solid, square steel to make them more robust. Now that I think about it, I might want to make the back to legs into a shelf with walls...sort of a box I could drop tools, chain, etc into....that would keep it from bending if I bump something. Guess I need to find some thick steel plate at the scrap yard now :)

/ Another counterweight idea...1300+lbs! #10  
That was a real good find at the scrap yard! The scrap yard around here won't sell anything.

Same here, scrap yards will not sell, only buy
I would worry about ME hitting the rear angles.