Another Grain Bin Incident

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #11  
Dad always said Flax will swallow you like quick sand. Never been around flax so no proof this is true but no reason to doubt it is.
Dad was not wrong. Flax seed is small and slippery. They grow it quite a bit back home.

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #12  
Torvy
Thanks for confirming that info on flax.

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #13  
I am asking this because I don't know. Why do you need to go inside a grain bin?

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #14  
I am asking this because I don't know. Why do you need to go inside a grain bin?
Good question.

I know towards the end of the job of draining a grain bin, people will go in there to move the grain round the edges to get it to the auger and that's when they get caught up in the moving stuff, but that's usually when the bin is near empty.

My guess is they go in there in an attempt to clear blockages.

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #16  
I think (not sure) that tractor rollovers have been the biggest killer over the years. I don’t farm but rent my fields out. Here in eastern PA the farmer that rents them still farms with four pre-ROPS tractors.

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #17  
Not a farmer so don't know for sure but would putting on a pair of snow shoes solve this problem if you had to enter a bin they seem to work great in snow

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #18  
The problem is they get in there with the unloading auger running . Climb in top and jump in to break up a crust . Bust that layer and you may drop several feet . UNLOAD auger is running and you buried in grain .THERE IS NO CLIMBMING OUT .

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #19  
One of the things I did for construction companies was mount viberators on the bottom of gravel boxes. They were about the size of a iron and 12 volt and the driver could give the load a little shake to make sure everything slid out. Would something like that work on bins

/ Another Grain Bin Incident #20  
It seems like it happens here(western Illinois) every few years, sometimes a good outcome, sometimes not.