Another property dispute

/ Another property dispute #1  

john4nh

Silver Member
Tractor
CASE 580 BACHOE JOHN DEERE 920 AND 820 FARM-ALL CUB
I recently purchased 8acreas next to me, from two owners.
The land next to me is the orginal (whole) tract. The one next to it had 1acrea and a house carved out and sold. The seller had the land cut where he kept 20ft along side the 1acrea he cut out and the other (whole tract). The seller of the 1acrea granted the buyers use of the 20ft which is a drive that goes to the back. So if your with me the land I purchased is flag-shaped it opens up behind there 1acrea. Ive got like 120ft across the front and 200ft in the back.

So I go to talk to all the neihbors who border my property new and old. Got dozer coming and clearing fences, everybody cool do what ever you need, have it so on. Go and talk to the people who bought the house and 1ac.

First I go to introduce myself and shake the ladies hand. She wouldnt even shake my hand and says I know who you are! But hatefull. Ive never met this lady. I bite my tongue and explain that Iam just trying to inform them that I got a dozer coming and not that there any clearing going on that borders their land I did want to double check the boundaries (out of respect for them) with them. Give them a chance to have a say so to speak. I mean theres a survey with all the irons and everything. Well she tells that the 20ft is an easement and she pays the taxes! I say wow cause I triple checked and I bought it. Lots of Blah Blah, she goes to find her paper work which supposingly she cant find. I watched her through the window reading what I would bet was her contract. So she comes back now patting my back and smiling just so nice. Well it ends with me saying I want them to have what they paid for and I want what I paid for.

Well needless to say she trying to take an (ok you can use it) as its hers and she has a claim to it.

Next day (today) I see her out and about stop and ask if she gotten anything resolved. She called and balled out the seller. I say hey I got a great attorney heres the number you oughta call. Welll now she has backed down to maybe I could curve my fence where they would have more land around there lean too shed. So this tells me she knows she has no claim.

After her intial response to my introduction and reading lots post on here on this subject. I believe I will installing my fence per survey period. I hate to be this way because they will only have about 5ft in front of there lean to. But these people are not neighborly and the guy on the other side has called the police on them at least 4 times because they have 5 dogs they let out at 4am everyday 7times a week and they bark there heads off. His houses is actually very close to theres. He did speak to them about but it did no good.

Sorry so long but I wanted to try and give a accurate account. They have a complete car on my land and half of another one. I will try and get them to move by this weekend or will have towed. I hate being like this but they really present themselves as being unreasonable people. Really theres nothing to reason about its all black and white on the contract. Any verbal (contracts) they had with the previous owner is null and void. I am glad this came out now then later though. Still dont know why she dislikes me? The only thing I could think of is they may be Anti-Gun people and sometime I shoot 50 to 80 rounds. But thats only maybe every other month. Who knows.

/ Another property dispute #2  
<font color=blue>After her intial response to my introduction and reading lots post on here on this subject. I believe I will installing my fence per survey period.</font color=blue>

YES! ABSOLUTELY! You've done nothing wrong - it's YOUR property. It's one thing to feel sorry for someone, something else to give your property away just to "stay friends." Who needs that type of friend anyway?

Just wanted to post before some bleeding-heart posts some type of "rainbows & lollypops" junk about how you should do differently because they are "poor", "misunderstood", or because "You're rich" and you should "play nice and share," or some other PC psychobabble. Your income or theirs has nothing to do with it. Whether they are "Nice" or not doesn't matter either. There are "good" folks and "bad" folks at all income levels. You own it, they don't: Simple as that.

If you wanted to, you could always sell those extra few feet to them. 'Course, that's just a "could" statement, not a "should."

Yes - you're doing the "right" thing.

/ Another property dispute #3  
<font color=blue>...They have a complete car on my land and half of another one. I will try and get them to move by this weekend or will have towed...</font color=blue>

Hi John,

This "junk car" gives you a perfect opportunity to see how your neighbor will react when you politely tell them it "must" be moved by xxx date... or the bulldozer will clear the path or the expensive tow truck driver will move it at their expense...

No sense having a bunch of idiots... just be polite and assertive and you do the right thing... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Another property dispute #4  
As a bleeding heart type...I think you should put up a fence right on the property line. That sort is rarely worth befriending, and probably found over the years that if they are obnoxious enough other people back down.

"Poor" people have ethics, too. It these folks don't, that's their problem.

Pete (liberal secular humanist in northern VT)

/ Another property dispute #5  
You could offer to rent that strip of land to them for a nominal fee. That would maintain your property rights and let them continue using it as they have been. The rental contract should spell out where your property line is, what they are renting and what they can and can't use it for, i.e., no permanent structures built on it.

/ Another property dispute #6  
I've tweaked my original response to clarify what I meant (thought I was being clear initially, oh well. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif)

When I saw this thread I had nightmares about folks chiming in as they did on the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=rural&Number=120343&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Trespassers & Cable Gates</A> thread about how trespassing etc. was "Good" etc. especially if the trespassers were "poor" since those who held title to the land were "rich."

/ Another property dispute #7  
Yes, if your ONLY concern is losing land from prescriptive easement, a well written rental agreement should suffice. If you just make it for something like one dollar per year should also make you look like a good neighbor and may promote a little friendlyness.

/ Another property dispute #8  
"Yes, if your ONLY concern is losing land from prescriptive easement, a well written rental agreement should suffice. If you just make it for something like one dollar per year should also make you look like a good neighbor and may promote a little friendlyness. "

And if they become a real PITA then you can refuse to renew the lease. If the lease is written up with an escape clause wherin you can terminate after notice of 30 days then you will only have a month of wait time after you decide you don't want to be Mr Nice Guy. :)

/ Another property dispute #9  
Yes, please clarify your stance on this subject /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Another property dispute #10  
/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif